Lara Spencer Named Third Co-Anchor of ABC’s ‘Good Morning America’

Lara Spencer Named Third Co-Anchor of

Lara Spencer, the “Good Morning America” anchor who recently negotiated a new contract with ABC to stay on the program, has been elevated to the role of co-host, and will, going forward, hold forth alongside current anchors Robin Roberts and George Stephanopolous.

The move comes as “GMA,” TV’s most-watched morning program, has been in the midst of change, with two members of the on-air staff that helped the show pass NBC’s “Today” in both total viewers as well as those between 25 and 54, the demo most coveted by advertisers, departed. The show, however has seen no ebb in its ratings dominance over “Today.”

Lara is clearly an essential ingredient in the success we have enjoyed,” said James Goldston, the newly named head of ABC News, in a statement.

Spencer is also now a veteran presence on the program, which has two new faces after the departures of meteorologist Sam Champion and news anchor Josh Elliott. Champion left “GMA” in December for his own show at The Weather Channel, while Elliott bid adieu abruptly in late March by taking a job in late March when ABC declined to meet his terms for a new contract.

ABC recently enlisted Michael Strahan, the former football player who has added new momentum to the company’s syndicated morning series “Live with Kelly and Michael,” to take part in occasional “GMA” segments.

The on-air churn comes as NBC has placed new focus on “Today.” According to NBCUniversal chief executive Steve Burke, the Peacock has put an emphasis on going after viewers between the age of 18 and 49. Carson Daly, the veteran host best known for his time on MTV and his wee-hours program “Later” on NBC, now holds forth on “Today” in a way designed to appeal to users of social media.

The promotion is one of the first major moves by Goldston, who was named president of ABC News April 10, replacing Ben Sherwood, who is set to become head of all of Walt Disney’s broadcast and cable operations except its ESPN business.

1. ANNE CUNNINGHAM says:

I THINK LARA IS GREAT AND SO IS ROBIN AND GEORGE AND NOW MICHAEL!!!!!!! I THINK THAT ALL THE PEOPLE ON GMA ARE WONDERRFUL. I LOOK FORWAD TO WATCHING THE SHOW WHEN I CAN!!!!! EVERYONE WHO IS THERE IS AWESOME AND I CAN’T SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THEM, AND NOW THAT MICHAEL WILL BE A PART OF IT ALL THE TIME IS GOING TO BE EVEN MORE WONDERFUL!!!!! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

2. kuel says:

Lara, this is Emmanuel again. I got your posted in my e-mail. I was tried to login in the site you told me to login I couldn’t get in. so how should I contact you ? I do really want to talk to you. just send me an e-mail

3. Amal says:

this is Emmanuel Amal.
    this is going to my highly request Lara spencer. Lara, I ask you to see if you and I can be friends ? I do not want to say anything to you yet, Before I heard what you have to say to me on my request to you. I know you are married or girlfriend to someone. But, I just asking you to well consider my motivation on you. thank you .

4. L. MERCER says:

Lara Spencer is a DRAMA queen needs to tone it down, do not like her part of the show. Another comment on the bachelor and bachelorette. It looks like to me a big orgie on both shows. Bring back dating game if these people need a date, and a much better show!

5. Sam America says:

Another no talent dumb braindead liberal from the bias media who should have to get a real job.

6. Susannah Caulley says:

What happened to Cameron Matheson?

7. Di says:

I agree with comments about Lara and the “peek a boo camera”. I find her silliness annoying. Keep George – he is the only true professional on the show.

8. Marion Ware says:

Does this mesn Robin or George will be leaving? I regretted t o see Sam leave and then Josh. Hopefully Robin and George will stay! Micheal is a big plus, his personality is so-o good!!!

9. rita ettorre says:

Bad Move,there goes your ratings.

10. Mary says:

I think Lara and George are both wonderful assets. Having watched GMA for over 20 years it is my favorite show of the day – the reason? The outstanding diverse talent ABC continues to find. George rocks by making politics tolerable these days and Lara takes the overwhelming seriousness the news often brings and adds a twist of fun to an otherwise dreary subject matter. Peek a boo with the camera? I don’t know but I’d definitely check the cream you put in your coffee.

11. Carole says:

Super! Now dump George and GMA will be perfect. George is and always has been obnoxious.

• thecollaborationforlearning says:

Sorry, we have to have George; he is the only” news” and “Political” talent at the table.

12. Molly Elliot says:

Lara is THE most annoying “host” ever. She blurts out blather that one is interested in, and plays some kind of weird peekaboo with the camera. A little of old Lara goes a long, long way. She is trying way too hard. I love everyone else, and miss Sam Champion. But the network looks as if they are rewarding her by this promotion. I was hoping they would get rid of her..she is.very pushy. ANNOYING!

• thecollaborationforlearning says:

I am sorry to see the changes in talent and repositioning. Lara is a nice person I am sure; however she is not “head” table talent on a morning program. How long before it backfires?