NBC Orders Katherine Heigl CIA Drama to Series

NBC Upfront Scorecard

NBC has picked up “State of Affairs,” a drama series that follows a CIA agent, played by Katherine Heigl, who is tasked with briefing the president on the most vital security issues facing the nation.

Alfre Woodard also stars as the Commander in Chief who has a special relationship with Heigl’s Charleston (Charlie) Tucker — Charlie was engaged to the president’s son before a terrorist attack took his life.

The cast also includes Adam Kaufman, Sheila Vand, Cliff Chamberlain, Tommy Savas and Leslie Odom, Jr.

Writer-director Joe Carnahan (“The Blacklist”) serves as executive producer with Heigl, Nancy Heigl, Robert Simonds, Sophie Watts, Henry Crumpton, Rodney Faraon and Julia Franz. “State of Affairs” is a production of Universal Television, Bob Simonds Company and Abishag Productions.

1. NBCIsTerrible says:

So this is what u decided to cancel the original and unique show Revolution for?! Another BS Cop/FED drama, you do know there is about a billion of the same show on TVs right now right? I’m done with you NBC..

• Rena Moretti says:

I am always amazed as to why people get mad at a network that actually went out of its way to produce way more episodes of their favorite show than it made commercial sense to…

NBC should have pulled the plug on Revolution immediately (after three-four episodes) It was clear it was a flop then.

Why then be mad at them for keeping it on longer?

The again, NBC kept pretending it was a hit until it canceled it, so perhaps they fooled you. In that case, you are right to be mad at them after all. :)

2. DorothyParkerlite says:

Heigl is only guilty of speaking her mind and making some bad choices. As someone who isn’t a fan of her work so far, the backlash was ridiculous and totally inappropriate. I mean, grow the F up people. The fact is, she’s been stuck doing rom-coms and Greys, which is basically a soap opera, and hasn’t really had any vehicle to show off the talent she may have. I’m sorry to say this show doesn’t look promising either, unless there’s some incredibly smart writing.

• Rena Moretti says:

But that’s the point: she doesn’t have any talent to showcase.

I have no idea what she “spoke her mind” about as I don’t read Hollywood gossip. I have no idea if she’s a nice person or a moron. I only know she can’t act and she’s taking the place of someone who could do her job a lot better.

3. Chris Hamilton says:

In ‘State of Affairs,’ Katherine Heigel will be playing one Charlie Urbain Noland Tucker. She begins the series as an emotionless and lifeless shell, until she meets the male lead (played by Adam Kaufman) who validates her existence as an abrasive yet salty Cop Under the National Trust.

• Rena Moretti says:

To be fair, it’s really hard to make ANY show sound good in a two line pitch, but that sounds truly terrible.

But “emotionless”, they got the right actress, although she’ll probably try some grimacing as she seems to think that’s what actors do… :(

4. Jan says:

I love Katherine Heigle, I’m glad to see her back on TV. I’ll be watching, I hope it’s a hit.

5. sr says:

Heigel as a CIA spy? No. I give this series two to three episodes and it will be cancelled. If her mother Nancy is involved, it will be DOA.

• Rena Moretti says:

Don’t underestimate the current breed of network executives’ taste for flops.

Look at FOX and its renewal of New Girl and its ridiculously laughable 2.5 million viewers for its highly promoted finale.

Today, once the executives decide something is a hit, ratings do not matter.

In the real world, it will of course be DOA.

6. I think shes a great actress and has the emmy to prove it. I do think that she made a mistake leaving greys in the matter that she did and she burned a lot of bridges but she has apologized and like i said she has talent. I really hope it goes well for her.

• Rena Moretti says:

You got that backwards: The fact she has an Emmy proves conclusively that the Emmys are meaningless, are entirely disconnected to quality and can be bought with the appropriate amount of PR.

7. Robbie Goldstein says:

Screw all of you.. Her career certainly has its up and downs. But there is a core of people that will follow her . if it is a good show the numbers will be there.. I think the stories are there and she will work her butt off to make sure it all fits..go girl You were very nice to me when I helped you with your golf clubs on Larchmont years ago.. Always remembered that.. RG

• Rena Moretti says:

Sorry but there is really no core of people who follow her to speak of.

There’s very, very few actors who can launch a show on their name (especially if the trailers are horrible) and she is not one of them.

She is a bad actress that lowers the overall quality of everything she’s in.

8. Rena Moretti says:

NBC really can’t get out of its own way, can it? Katherine Heigl is a terrible actress that makes this show DOA with audiences.

Do they even do real audience research any longer or do they just read their own PR?

9. Miffy says:

Nobody wants to watch that awful woman. This will be a HUGE STINKBOMB.

10. Phyllis M. says:

Hate her, won’t watch and I’m sure the show will suck.

11. Lucy in the sky with diamonds says: