Joan Rivers Remains Unconscious as Celebrity Friends Send Prayers

Joan Rivers unconscious
Amanda Edwards/WireImage

Joan Rivers remains unconscious since being rushed to a New York hospital on Thursday morning, according to ABC News.

The comedian is reportedly on life support. She was placed in a medically induced coma at Mount Sinai Hospital after going into cardiac arrest during an endoscopy at a clinic. She is said to have stopped breathing during the routine procedure.

Her daughter Melissa Rivers released a statement on Friday stressing that her mother’s condition remained serious.

“My mother would be so touched by the tributes and prayers that we have received from around the world,” the statement read. “Her condition remains serious but she is receiving the best treatment and care possible. We ask that you continue to keep her in your thoughts as we pray for her recovery.”

According to TMZ, the Rivers family is hopeful that the 81-year-old will take a turn for the better, even if they decide to turn off life support.

Celebrities including her “Fashion Police” co-hosts Giuliana Rancic and Kelly Osbourne, talkshow hosts Ellen DeGeneres and Kelly Ripa, and actors Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Charlie Sheen have taken to Twitter to wish the legendary comic a speedy recovery.

1. Tom Ahern says:

Surely there are people who express other views, why are they not allowed to post them?

2. KELLY says:

Joan is my favorite comedian, I wish her a speedy recovery.

3. Joan hang in there your a very special tough lady! My sincere comfort and prayers to Melissa as I know how hard it is when something like this happens to your mother especially when you have a close special relationship with her. When she is your mom, your protector, your friend and sometimes your child she is your everything. Just do the best you can Melissa and know it is enough and be in peace. Barbara M

4. Jacques Strappe says:

At this late stage after a simple endoscopic procedure, if Ms Rivers is still on life support, there has been too much damage sustained to her brain from the oxygen deprivation to function without life support. She is essentially brain dead now and incapable of any recovery. Her family will undoubtedly make the heart wrenching decision to stop life support very soon and announce her passing.

5. Cliff Mascia says:

The good Lord has taken too many of our beloved entertainers who make us forget and laugh about real life.We need for you to get well and remain here with your family and us , My prayers are with you and your family. Please keep us laughing ! P.S , Just think of all the new material you will have !!!!!! lol ,and lots of love .

6. Mary Jean Rowen says:

No biz like show biz and show biz people are the best I know….or something. Until they run up against a government, say the wrong thing and are put away. Diane Sawyer, now Joanie, who’s the next blonde to go?

7. Diane says:

Don’t want you to go but if you want to stay with your beloved Edgar, I understand. If you can come back for just a little more, that would be great. Fashion Police needs you!

8. I will never forget that 1992 show when I was being interviewed for about 15 minutes. It has made my business grow since then, dramatically, to this day!if you go to YouTube.com and search for Joan rivers and the Michael Salem boutique,you will see how Joan spoke about TV …LOL

9. TV101 says:

She’s a true one of a kind. We’re praying for Joan Rivers this evening. The show isn’t over yet Joan – we need you a bit longer. We’ll thinking good thoughts your way and pray for your recovery so you may put more smiles and laughter on people’s faces – a true gift. Fight hard Joan, as you always do.

• Fan from NJ says:

Praying that Joan celebrates another Thanksgiving… in that splendid space once occupied by JP Morgan’s daughter…Praying that St. Katharine Drexel intercedes for Joan Rivers…Wishing her neurological power and LOVE…a Fan from BOSTON and New Jersey

10. Joshua Colbert says:

You know, this is an insult to human intelligence. I am pulling for you Joan, I made this account just for you.

11. Pat Croton says:

just as classy as Rosanne Barr!

12. Susan says:

Just an average citizen who has loved Joan and her comic warp forever, also noted the huge heart and genius early on-rally dear Joan you are a crass act… Oh wait…. I mean class act! Hope i made u smile….. U always make me ❤️

13. ted lang says:

Hey Joan… sorry about all those jokes I wrote — Come Back soon…

14. Brian Dyak says:

Hang in there Melissa, the prayers are on fast track to you and you mom.

15. Sue Few says:

Joan, We, as a family, have been fans of your appearances since the Merv Griffen days on TV. You brought us laughter and thought provoking comments along the way. In our home, no one spoke nor interrupted your performances on TV. I was working late one evening at I. Magnin (in Beverly Hills) in the children’s department, when you walked in. I was so impressed with your quietness, and how nice you were to everyone, quietly. We love you and you are in all of our thoughts and prayers.
    Bless you,
    always.
    Sue Few, Maya and Rasko, and our wonderful dog, Marley

16. Don’t give up Joan-fight like the WOMAN you are!your the tops in all the Comediens-Love your work!!