Jim Rash and Joel McHale Recreate ‘True Detective’

true detective

Forget solving the mystery of the Yellow King.

Can anyone watching HBO’s new crime drama “True Detective” figure out what Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson’s hardened cops are actually saying?

In a spoof video titled “Can Anyone Understand ‘True Detective?’” that aired during Wednesday’s episode of “The Soup,”  Joel McHale and his “Community” costar Jim Rash fill in for for the HBO series’ stars with epic, indecipherable banter.

But comprehension issues haven’t stopped audiences from tuning in. Ratings-wise, the show is the premium cable channel’s most popular current series … of course, the new season of “Game of Thrones” does bow April 6.

“The Soup” airs every Wednesday on E! at 10 p.m.

1. Chuck Russell says:

not sure what you are considering indecipherable. seemed pretty clear to me.

2. paul brown says:

Being a former police officer I understand well the dialog of the characters and the “process” they go through to follow leads and arrive at conclusions. Its actually pretty realistic from my experience.

3. Ali Rich says:

I really couldn’t understand what McConaughey was saying to Monaghan in that sex scene. He was drunk and mumbling. So I had to watch that scene over and over and over to try to figure it out…

4. Cindy says:

We watch it on Sunday night, and then we watch it again in closed caption! LOVE IT!

5. Donna says:

I understand and love their banter. Great writing and acting !

6. I get the point. True Detective started out great. I think McConaughey & Harrelson do a great job. The writers & director on the other hand need direction. There were some profound statements made in the first couple of episodes (Harrelson: “Do we realise the point in our life when our future is behinds us & now we’re just waiting to get ass cancer?”

What’s behind them now is the future of the show.The audience tuned in to see McConaughey & Harrelson, along with some perspicacious perceptions about drugs, sex & the disenfranchised.

A show that could have been a grand event now wanders around aimlessly from episode to episode without resolution.

7. David Loving says:

What a fine series. I watch every episode twice. Once on the big screen tv; next on HBO Go on laptop with headphones cranked. works for me.

8. Dennis Brown says:

I love the show and the banter between the detectives. Too many things, including English, have been dumbed down in this country. This show is a breath of fresh air.

9. Lloyd Napier says:

you have poor English skills if you cannot understand what they are saying. It’s like when your mother or grandmother can’t make out what someone with an accent is saying. The greater the listener’s command of the language, the stronger the resonance of understanding.

• YoureAMoron says:

Oh bull. There are plenty of times when one of the two mumbles and you have to rewind and listen to it all over again. That has NOTHING to do with having ‘poor English skills’.

• Lloyd says:

Not once. Not one person I know has ever had to do this. I thought this article was a joke at first. Then I remembered your ilk exist.

• Gooner says:

YoureAMoron, as Lloyd Napier pointed, you probably don’t grasp the language very well if you have to rewind. It’s perfectly fine that you need to do this, but don’t group everyone together with blanket statements like “you have to remind..” as if you speak for everyone.