James Patterson Signs First-Look Deal with CBS TV

James Patterson CBS Television Deal

James Patterson Entertainment, the bestselling author’s namesake shingle, has closed a first-look deal for a multi-year first look deal with CBS Television Studios.

This is the first TV deal to tap into Patterson’s library. His books include the Alex Cross crime novels that were adapted into films like “Along Came a Spider” and “Kiss the Girls” and the “Women’s Murder Club” series that resulted in an ABC drama.

The partnership also includes a first-look deal for producer Cathy Konrad’s Treeline Films, which already has an overall with CBS TV. Under the terms of Patterson’s deal, JPE will partner with Treeline Films and other producers to develop his books into series.

Konrad brought Patterson’s sci-fi thriller “Zoo” to CBS TV, resulting in a 13-episode straight-to-series order event drama series that will be broadcast in summer 2015 on CBS. Patterson and Bill Robinson of JPE will exec producer with Konrad and James Mangold of Treeline, alongside script writers Jeff Pinkner, Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec and Scott Rosenberg, and Leopoldo Gout and Steve Bowen of JPE.

Patterson is represented by CAA and attorney Peter Grossman.

Treeline is represented by WME and attorney Jason Sloane.

1. robert tycholis says:

any word on aseries based on the michael bennett books

2. Bethel L Jones says:

These some of the best books I have ever read! I am very happy James Patterson has been recognized He is a great author!

3. So glad to hear that JP is bringing Zoo to the air. If they are anyway near as good as the three other films, we are in for a really good summer of 2015. Thank you, love your books and pics.

4. Lydia says:

Love Mr Patterson’s books. He won me over with the Womens Murder Club series (wish he would pick up where series left off). Now trying to collect all his book. Good luck with new series in the making!

5. Anything by James Patterson is worth making into a movie, series and on and on. His books are so much fun to read. I am definitely into a James Patterson books addiction. Love them

6. Oswaldo Reyes says:

im an avid reader and book collector and I’ve read and im collecting every book that
    JAMES PATTERSON has written.JAMES Patterson is a literary genius.This writers books are impossible to put down once you begin to read them.It’s about time someone decides to make all his books into movies but also in T.V. series. Idefinitely be one of the first millions turning in to watch.

7. You made a mistake in your article. This will make the third time a James Patterson adaption has made it to TV. 1st to Die was made into a 3-hour movie on NBC in 2003 and a short-lived Women’s Murder Club series aired on ABC in 2007.

8. Stef says:

BBB would love 2 c maximum ride or daniel xx think they would botj make great shows or movies :)

9. Zoe Rosenbalm says:

MAXIMUM RIDE!!!!!!!!!!

10. Sherri Gilbert says:

Alex Cross or Murder women’s club. They are my favorite books .

11. Barbaraurschel says:

I can’t wait for ZOO to come to tv, I loved it I have read over 70 of pattersons books soon I will read all of them, James, keep on writing and I will keep reading Barbara urschel tenn.

12. bhargrave06 says:

Women’s murder club and of course Alex Cross

13. Sharon Bernard says:

WOMEN’S MURDER CLUB!!!!!

14. Billie hill says:

I would love to see the Maximum Ride series turned into a movie. Or better yet, a television series!! I enjoyed the books. No foul language, only minimal violence & as an adult enjoyed the storyline for family sharing.

15. Karen Welshons says:

When did Maximum Ride become s series?? Did I miss it?? That’s what I want to see!!

16. Laura says:

Of course The Womens Murder Club Series, but I know thats been done once – but not on CBS. Michael Bennett would make a great series due to the back story & all the options of sidline story lines you could do with Kids, Nanny & Grandfather characters, in addition to the wonderful story/plots of all of the Michael Bennett books. It has a little of everything in it – drama, suspense, family, humor etc. Could really see it as a lasting series!! Alex Cross would always be goid but I think that belongs on big screen or TV movies. There are so many crime/drama/suspense series on to its getting to be thats all thats on. Give the viewers a little something lighter with a little susoense/drama.

17. Francesca says:

I loved “Zoo”! Can’t wait to watch. I wish they would make a series based on “Toys” as well!

18. Kim Luniak says:

Wish they could do a series of all of the Alex Cross books in the right order. This would be awesome!

19. Brandon Lopez says:

What about Maximum Ride!!?

20. Mary Schel says:

Would live the series of Maximum Ride, plus The Women’s Murder Club and Diffently Alex Cross. Series ” .
    I love your books I collect them have everyone you have ever written except your last two still got to order them. I belong to your Book Club.

21. Alison Taylor says:

Womens murder club for sure.

22. Kathy says:

More Alex Cross and the Women’s Murder Club!

23. Laura Brunner says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE womens murder club and michael bennett series!

24. Kelly says:

The women’s murder series. Love these books.

25. Natalie dicianno says:

Quick. Step on a, crack….

26. karen says:

I loved Women’s Murder Club, should not have been cancelled. Try again!

27. Patty Endris says:

You already did 2 Alex Cross, so carry on with him. He is my favorite

28. judie maling says:

Love all your books and have i think all of them. But really like girls club have all. More coming? Would make a great movie. Don’t ever stop writing. I wont use a tablet. Love books your books the most

29. I would love to see Jack and Jill

30. Shelley says:

They did do a series based on The Women’s Club and they cancelled it! It starred Angie Harmon and it was great.

31. Stacy Spetrino says:

Please make a tv series or movie of the 13 women’s murder club series! AWESOME BOOKS!!!

32. Janice Jussell-Krick says:

Alex Cross series! The story telling keeps you on your toes. The story line is one continue road to each book! Makings of a great series! I love women club series. But I will take Alex Cross first!

33. Trish Duffy says:

I would love to see the Alex Cross series on tv. I Was 56 when I read my very first book, ( I never had the patience for reading before. James Patterson brought excitement in my life in the way of BOOKS. I can not put his books down, I love them. Thankyou James Patterson

34. Diane Shanahan says:

The murder club series is my all time favorite.

35. Pamela says:

I would like to see all the Alex cross books as films, but it needs someone like Denzel Washington or will smith playing the role of Alex cross,Morgan freeman was to old to play him, i couldn’t relate to him as the character i love in the books.

36. Dana says:

I have read most of his books, Alex Cross is my favorite, although I would NOT put Tyler Perry as him, maybe someone who needs a boost in his career or someone new, that would be fun. He has to be very good looking !!!

37. Diana says:

I agree, I would like to see ‘The women’s murder club’ as a series for television…..

38. Marty Dubois says:

WOMEN’ MURDER CLUB FOR A SHOW. LOVE THAT SERIES

39. Melissa says:

I think the women’s murder club would be a great television show.. Love those books. I have read every one.

40. cynthia knowles says:

if it is going to be a series then it should be the ODD books in to them episodes ..

41. Would love to see his NYPD RED Books come to life on screen or in a series! I think it could really put up some big numbers at both! Love these books..

42. George says:

Going to CBS may offer a TV show a bigger audience to launch with. Generally it really lacks in creative risk compared to Fox, NBC and ABC. Look how the Under The Dome adaptation series has turned out horrible.

• David Licht says:

I’ve ALWAYS said that shows like ‘Under The Dome’ DON’T belong on network tv or at least the big 4. Because they don’t turn out well, or don’t last long.