James Corden Emerges as Possible Craig Ferguson Replacement

Sources close to the situation have confirmed that British actor and comedian James Corden has emerged as a possible contender to replace outgoing “Late Late Show” host Craig Ferguson, although an official deal is not in place.

CBS would not confirm or comment on the situation. CAA, which handles Corden’s U.S. representation, did not return phone calls.

The film, stage and television star won a Tony in 2012 for his work in Richard Bean’s comedy “One Man, Two Guvnors.” He also appeared in the BBC Three sitcom “Gavin & Stacey” and played “Britain’s Got Talent” winner Paul Potts in the Weinstein Co. dramedy “One Chance.”

Ferguson has announced that he is leaving the latenight show in December, telling Variety exclusively that “I wanted to leave the show before I stopped enjoying it. That was my goal. I didn’t want it to be a chore … The whole idea is that show business should have some adventure to it, I think. It’s not about knowing what you’re doing day in and day out, year after year.”

The Wrap first broke the news of this story.

1. Sandra says:

So sorry to see Craig go. Would really love to see him on another station in a similiar role, which is probably what he doesn’t want (the same act). He’s just so good!!! I,and many others will miss him a great deal. He is clever and laugh out loud funny.

2. jhs39 says:

Craig Furgeson’s ratings are dismal so putting him in Letterman’s time slot was never a possibility.

3. R.Barp says:

I believe it is a shame that Craig was not shifted to David Letterman’s spot. I don’t think anyone in the networks are ever looking for talent from America. I believe that ever since David Letterman has announced his retirement his show has become a better vehicle for his talent. The networks seem to hold an ax over the talent’s heads not wanting any swear words but on the regular prime time shows anything goes and this is the area that needs to clean up. A real talent in Craig could have made Letterman’s slot continue with humor, but the brilliance of CBS could not see their way to do some good programming.

4. Dale Hopson says:

James would be perfect. He is doing “A Funny Thing On The Way To The Forum” on Broadway this spring. I saw the final performance of “One Man, Two Guvnors” and it was the funniest thing I have seen on stage… they were upstaging and playing pranks on each other and James was game for anything & everything! Example: A character shown undressing had put the image of James on the front of his underwear… James saw it and leaned down to kiss his crotch! On the back of the underwear was another image of James who, when he saw it, trying to pull the guy’s briefs down!

5. CBS late night – straight white guy, later – straight white guy ABC late night – straight white guy NBC late night – straight white guy, later – straight white guy, even later – straight white guy, TBS late night – straight white guy

6. Chris Lucas says:

An unexpected — and brilliant — choice!!

7. Ideation20 says:

I’d like to Steven Merchant and Karl Pilkington be considered.

8. jhs39 says:

He’s also in the movie Begin Again, which is currently in theaters. Why not mention something people could actually see him in if they wanted to? I don’t really understand this choice–there aren’t any American comedians who would more closely complement Stephen Colbert’s style? It actually seems like CBS is trying to recreate the David Letterman/Craig Ferguson dynamic instead of starting fresh.