HBO’s ‘The Leftovers’ Opens to Lukewarm 1.8 Million Viewers

The leftovers HBO TV Review

HBO’s “The Leftovers” premiered to 1.8 million viewers for its initial telecast on Sunday night, according to Nielsen estimates, putting it below the network’s other high-profile dramas over the last few years.

It didn’t necessarily have as strong a lead-in as HBO may have hoped, as “True Blood” drew 3.1 million viewers for its regular-timeslot airing on Sunday, down from a little over 4 million for its season premiere of the previous week.

HBO’s most recent drama premiere, “True Detective” in January, drew 2.33 million viewers for its regular-timeslot telecast. “The Newsroom” 2.14 million in June 2012, and “Game of Thrones” attracted 2.22 million in 2011.

POLL: Are You a Fan of HBO’s ‘The Leftovers’?

When including a late-Sunday repeat, the two-episode total for “The Leftovers” was 2.1 million. In its two airings, “True Blood” grossed 3.5 million.

“The Leftovers” comes from Warner Bros. Television and was created by Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta, based on the novel of the same name by the latter. It centers on the fallout from the abrupt disappearance of 2% of the world’s population, and the people in a suburban community who were not taken.

The cast includes Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman and Liv Tyler, and the pilot was directed by Peter Berg.

Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman and Liv Tyler are among the cast of “Leftovers,” which centers on the fallout from the abrupt disappearance of 2% of the world’s population.

Over at Showtime, the first-season finale of “Penny Dreadful” drew 856,000 viewers — up from the previous week (799,000) and the largest audience since the show’s premiere (872,000). After a handful of episodes last month, Showtime ordered a second season of “Penny” for 2015.

1. G. Hoffman says:

It doesn’t work. You can’t have a show where a lot of people disappear for no reason. If there are no clues, there’s no story. Period.

2. Sue says:

At the bottom of this “lukewarm numbers” for The Leftovers article, I notice a blurb about Penny Dreadful which makes it seem like 800,000 viewers is a big deal. Is it because Showtime is a part of the mega powerful CBS corp? There just seems to be a real bias going on with entertainment media reviews and articles that has nothing to do with the quality of a show or REAL rating numbers.

3. Bunny says:

Going from Game of Thrones to THIS?? Really HBO?

4. guest says:

I didn’t watch it when it premiered. I just watched it now. Twice! I thought it was great!!! I really don’t know much about Justin T before. I don’t know if I have ever seen him in anything. But he is a great actor!! The show was very intriguing. I almost cried at the end when he was talking to his wife. PLOT TWIST! Did not see that coming. I loved seeing Liv Tyler!

5. colig says:

what did I just watch.holy hell what a boring load of crap this is.i’d rather watch paint dry next sunday before I waste another hour on this nightmare. HBO you blew it on this one.you should have added extra episodes of Game of Thrones. PS, peter berg sucks in everything he does.

6. guest says:

I don’t need ANSWERS immediately. I like to see things unfold. I mean The Dome went a whole season with no answers and it has a season 2 on the way. People are really being kinda stupid about this. THe acting was superb!

7. Joann says:

It didn’t WOW me, but I’m willing to give it a few episodes. I hope they will give us some answers, I did like the surprise about the sheriff’s wife though, so I’m still hopeful.

8. Judy Tolle says:

I tried to watch it but it annoyed me at the same time it bored me. I just couldnt get attached to anyone and didnt care about anyone. I wanted to like this.

9. George Loar says:

Easy animal lovers, its only make-believe. I would guess you also do not watch world news. That is our Chi so I do love animals.

10. Alex says:

While I do somewhat get some people like knowing how many viewers their favorite show had, I think sites telling regular people like us this or that show opened to lukewarm ratings affects the show greatly and for the bad, last episode of the season?, ok, I get you’d want to know if your show is getting cancelled or not, but after only the first episode?, “opened to lukewarm 1.8 million viewers”?, I dunno, don’t get why regular people would want to know or even need to know that, if you’re in the business ok and even then showbusiness people should get a nielsen email or something of the sort telling them this or that show had this or that many eyeballs, telling people basically “hey listen, not many people watched this show” can be all some people need not to give the show a chance and I’m not saying we all do that but some do, I could totally be wrong, but I never did understand why they started printing how much a movie made the first day or how many viewers a show had first handful of episodes, I mean unless you’re a producer, director or something of the sort, why would we need to know any of that?, unless as I said it was the last episode or something and we wanted to know if our favorite show was getting cancelled, I could be wrong, but I think no real good can come from publishing numbers and a show can suffer a lot cause of it, but hey, my two cents

11. Alison Wonderland says:

True Detective debuted to 2.3 million viewers. Just half a million more than Leftovers. Those “lukewarm” numbers didn’t hurt the show’s popularity or success any.

• guest says:

“Just” halt a million of 2.3 is about 22% less viewers. Also a whole third of the audience changed the channel when The Leftovers came on after True Blood with their over 3.1 million lead-in. That is pretty telling.

12. west says:

1.8 is not lukewarm. It’s actually quite good. And HBO isn’t even putting out cumulative night ratings like Showtime always does to inflate the numbers

13. Dolores says:

I didn’t read the book, so I didn’t know what to expect on the show. The animal killing turned me off, I am not good with animals or people getting killed. So I don’t watch shows, movies with a lot of blood and gore. I stopped watching half way through and don’t plan to see it again.

14. Daryle Gardner-Bonneau says:

Gotta agree about the animals….quickest way to turn me off. Plus, I think the whole thing was pretty awful….throw in sex, throw in violence, throw in animal cruelty, and a bunch of very strange people dressed all in white (who the heck were they?)….and stir. Maybe you had to read the book to have a clue?

15. BB says:

“Lukewarm”? Then Girls is toast. You see the bias here how the media gloats over Lena Dunham’s ratings challenged fat-fest, while a show about the Rapture is stung by atheist bloggers.
    well, it doesnt matter. the viewers have spoken

16. Cathy says:

Whether or not they’re trying to get across the fact that the dogs are feral, I won’t watch while they’re killing them. That goes for the deer killing too. Yeah, I’m an animal lover and I don’t apologize for it, but I also don’t like watching or HEARING the yelping in pain on TV whether it’s real or not it still upsets me. Call me a wuss or whatever you like,it’s my opinion and my preference and I’m entitled to it. First they kill dogs, then a deer, then at the end, more dogs. I gave it a chance, that chance is GONE and so am I…