Gordon Ramsay to End ‘Kitchen Nightmares’ Series in U.S. and U.K.

Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares Ending

The next batch of U.K. episodes of “Kitchen Nightmares” will be the last for Gordon Ramsay, who announced the end of  the British and Yank editions of the show on his website Monday.

“I’ve had a phenomenal 10 years making 123 episodes, 12 seasons, shot across 2 continents, watched by tens of millions of people and sold to over 150 countries. It’s been a blast but it’s time to call it a day,” Ramsay wrote in a post on his personal website.

The cooking reality show premiered in the U.K. in 2004 and the U.S. edition bowed on Fox in 2007, featuring Ramsay’s visits to struggling restaurants. The chef would spend one week using his expertise trying to help the owners rehabilitate the business.

The format allowed Ramsay to show off his restaurateur bona fides as well as his attempts at family and couples’ counseling. Last year, the show hit its peak of pop culture buzz with an episode revolving around an Scottsdale, Ariz. eatery, Amy’s Baking Company, run by an over-the-top couple who produced plenty of Internet-friendly viral vid moments.

Ramsay credited “Kitchen Nightmares” for being “the show that really propelled my TV career.” The show has been a Friday night staple for Fox, with the most recent U.S. episodes airing in April and May. Fox has one more “Revisit” episode of “Kitchen Nightmares” in the can.

But Fox still has plenty of Ramsay on its air, between the competition series “Hell’s Kitchen,” airing now, “Hotel Hell” (bowing July 21) and the “MasterChef” and “MasterChef Junior” franchises.

At present, Ramsay is filming four final episodes of the U.K. “Kitchen Nightmares” for Channel 4.

On his website, Ramsay offered a list of “fun facts” about the show’s decade-long run:

• 123 restaurants in 99 cities within 2 countries were visited
  • If you watched all episodes back-to-back it would run for 6,868 minutes
  • Episodes sold into 150 territories globally
  • The ‘Kitchen Nightmares’ format was produced locally for 30 territories around the world
  • Swear count – 10,197
  • The show brought in $37.3 million in ad revenue during the 2012-13 season – more than any other Friday Fox original series that season
  • The show was the most viewed TV show across networks during the Friday time slot
  • Tears – 0.4 gallons
  • Meltdowns – 27
  • Walkouts – 1
  • Mice – 1
  • Meows – 6
  • First ever episode was watched by 5.7 million people
  • 2 ulcers and 2.3 litres of Pepto Bismol
  • 234 Zantacs consumed

1. bricolage says:

Hello mates, how is the whole thing, and what you wish for to say concerning this piece of writing, in my view its genuinely
    remarkable designed for me.

2. gumballcanadiangumballcanadiangumball says:

234 zantacs consumed. lol

3. KENNY says:

amy’s fake nose company,,,hahahaha,,,had me in stiches,,,that dumb bimbo and her geriatric husband need medical help,,,the bimbo is making sure he wastes all his earnings ,,,,what a dumbass guy he is,,,he wont realise until he is broke,,or put him in an earlier grave,,,WAKE UP UGLY STANKMONSTER AMY AND SMELL YOUR NUMBER 2S,,,,you need lots of serious therapy YOU UGLY ESCUSE FOR A WOMAN,,,,,hahahahaha,,,,YOUR BUISNESS IS FINISHED YOU MUPPETS

4. Mary Helen says:

Just wondered if it’s necessary to cuss so much and use Jesus Christ name over and over to get your point across. ? Thanks

• Mark Piper says:

Actually, no, it isn’t. Robert Irvine proved this in his own version of this show, Restaurant Impossible, in which his show is entirely G-Rated. The swearing is all Mr. Ramsay’s choice.

5. hardilpreet says:

my question is sir to you I saw episode but the major problem I noticed is the owner is drug edited they are not talking any responsibility

6. yasmin says:

Actually, the UK version is still showing new episodes. Thursday, 1/29/15 @9pm on BBCA

7. S says:

Chef Ramsey indeed is just cruel to be kind.Love his management skills. He is focused and knows exactly what to do.

8. S says:

How can Chef Ramsey be contacted if I am interested in opening a restaurant?

9. tevra1 says:

I agree with Diana, the UK version is more about the restaurants while the Yank version is more obvious a reality show and quite often appears to have been staged

10. Heidi says:

I will miss Kitchen Nightmares. I love the facts that Ramsey posted. It made me laugh. Amy’s Bakery was the craziest I have ever seen. That woman is just nuts. I will miss the swearing and Ramsey helping people.

11. Diana says:

I will miss the British version of his show, Kitchen Nightmares. The US version is way to dramatic and fake

12. Clint says:

Everyone knows most things on TV aren’t totally real, even the news. If shows were totally real no one would watch them because everyday life is usually boring. People need to stop mongering about what is real, its TV, you watch it for entertainment, if you don’t like it quit being an idiot and change the channel.

13. Jackie says:

I’ve got a question that wasn’t mentioned in the states… of all those restaurants he visited how many are still in good business? That’s what I’m really curious to know. Sorry to see it go, but glad there’s still other ways to get my Gordon Ramsey fix 8-)

14. Megan McCabe says:

NOOOO!! My boyfriend and I LOVED this show! What a sad sad day! I hope you change your mind and keep it around a few more seasons !

15. I will miss it! I’m a huge fan.

16. Perry says:

Restaurants with Food that Ramsey actually liked. 1. Momma Cheri’s

17. blahblahblah says:

they forgot to count the one suicide

• Linda M. says:

The one suicide was attributed to the “chef” playing a big fish in a small pond. After the show, he was cheating on his wife with his pastry chef, who somehow became ‘co-owner”. He was also abusing cocaine in a huge way. He was going bankrupt & got caught up in his “celebrity”. I feel for his beautiful wife who said on the show that all she wanted was for him to have his dream come true. One has to have the strength to implement the changes made by Chef Ramsay & follow through. If this chef got caught up in the “oh so how very wonderful he was” by believing his own press, is that Gordon Ramsay’s fault? It was a tragedy, of course, & my heart aches for his widow & sons. I only wish this “chef” had the courage of Gordon Ramsay’s convictions & had been able to turn his place around. I pray he is at peace now.

18. Marlee Siers says:

hell’s kitchen and kitchen nightmares and master chef is the #1 best show’s i’ve ever seen?gonna miss gordon ramsay????

19. Joseph says:

That’s too bad. It’s so much better than Hells Kitchen.

• No, they both aren’t worth watching. Kitchen Nightmares was made up though. Most places didn’t have half the issues they were portrayed to have.

• Michele says:

Seriously? Oh yeah we need a critic to point out the obvious. We all know the show is for entertainment only. However most of those places needed the FREE makeover they received. And those places became VERY popular just because Gordon was there. I promise we are all big kids and do not believe EVERYTHING that is on TV.

20. Borat says:

Gordon Ramsey knowing when to move on to the next project. Quit while people still like it. I support the decision.

21. I wonder who consumed the Pepto & Zantacs? LOL. Loved the shows and will miss them.

22. Mary Lou Nelson says:

I will really miss Kitchen Nightmares; LOVE IT !!I I watch everything Gordon is in but really don’t care for Hotel Hell too much. I can understand he would have to cut back a bit; I don’t see how he does all the shows he does! Good Luck! Love ya!

23. Rhonda Majewski says:

Awww That is so sad :( My husband and I love his shows. We watch all his shows when hubby is running late coming home from work the first words out of his mouth as he walks in the door is ” who’s getting kicked off or who’s ass is he tearing into tonight lol. We love you Ramsay!!! My 9 yer old granddaughter even loved the shows where he had young children cooking he is the best shows on T.V for the longest time sure gonna miss him :(.

24. Mr. Garigin...100% disabled veteran says:

Mr. Ramsay Needs, more than anything is to clean out his mouth. He has the most dirtiest mouth I’ve ever heard on T.V. I think a bar of LAVA should do the trick.

• William says:

For bloody Pete’s sake, don’t get your knickers in a knot over Chef Ramsay’s colourful language. It’s all a bloody show.

25. Jim Moriarty says:

The only thing I really watch of Ramsay’s is his Ultimate Cookery Course shows on Channel 4. It’s clear he adores his family from that show.

26. Patricia Sixsmith says:

Thank You Chef !!!! Love You and will Miss You xoxo

27. kathy welch says:

It used to be fun to watch. Lately the owners have been painful. I don’t know if they were really that bad off or just faking it to get the makeover. It didn’t look like Gordon was having as much fun either. I mean you can fix dirty and unmotivated but you can’t fix stupid

28. So, you keep saying “bowing,” which is something that happens at the END of a performance. But context implies you mean “beginning.” What am I missing? Is this a British thing? It makes no sense to me… Meanwhile, I’ll miss the show, but I’m sure Ramsay is ready to do some other things. Best of luck to him!

29. IfonlyIcouldcook says:

I understand the necessity in moving on. Dropping the show, which has run it’s course, as interesting as the situations may have been, seems right for him. It will only leave room for more to come. This is Gordon after all, the man doesn’t stop. I truly miss new episodes of The F Word however, where he was jovial, personal, and informative. Much different than the stressed out mess he wound up being in dealing with the proprietors in denial we found in each episode.

30. Camron says:

This made me appreciate Gordon as more than a chef. It showed he had a human side as well.
    Godspeed, Gordon.

31. maxine says:

NOOOOO don’t want any of his shows to end and certainly not kitchen nightmares.. that show i so interesting he kept it so real.. lets not let this show end along with any of his other ones..

32. Brad says:

I enjoyed this series whole heartedly, and will sorely miss Gordon’s Special Recipe of Truth, Sarcasm, and Compassion all rolled into one, Farewell to my Favorite BBC Series…

33. Well this truly makes me sad! Like Dee said, I agree, I could do without Hell’s Kitchen for the reasons she expressed! I really really always looked forward to Kitchen Nightmares though! Bummer……

34. Dee says:

It’s Hell’s Kitchen I can do without – it’s more drama for the sake of drama, and they allow the ones to stay who are full of drama whether the professional cooks.

35. Scott says:

You know I’m actually surprised that no one stabbed him with all the yelling and verbal abuse he put those people through over year. To me he seemed like an asshole with a big chip on he’s shoulders. After a few episodes I watched hell I was ready to shank the fucker through the tv if it was possibly.

• Michele says:

These people called him and asked for help. Anyone who has watched Gordon knows he is not even close to being gentle in the line of stupidity. It doesn’t take a College degree to know Frozen food isn’t fresh, and cross-contamination is severely life threatening. SO yeah, I would expect him to blow the hell up when it is dealing with someone’s life. If this is the owners life long dreams then dealing with harsh verbal abuse is something they are going to have to grow up and deal with. Because dealing with that is better than hurting/killing someone with some of the food they were serving.

36. Devan says:

I love Gordon! Kitchen Nightmares is the best show on TV. I watch reruns even and still get a kick out of Gordon’s antics. Get rid of Hotel Hell, not Kitchen Nightmares

37. I will really miss Kitchen Nightmares. I’ll have to be satisfied with the dozen or so episodes I have recorded on DVR. Except for Hotel Hell I don’t watch the other series. Perhaps if the ratings for the other shows falter the network will pressure Ramsay to bring Nightmares back.

38. Robin H says:

I am sad … I love Kitchen Nightmares … I can do without Hotel Hell … get rid of that one instead <3

39. Chicki Dee says:

Didn’t he go to Spain for 1 episode? That would be 2 countries

40. Marc says:

How many are still open? Having watched several, I don’t find Ramsey anywhere as abrasive as some of the owners he was asked for help by.

• John Hillman says:

The “funniest” part was the people that ASKED for help then insisted their food was “loved” by “all the patrons” in their EMPTY restaurants. The people that refused to fire obviously incompetent cooks. The ones like the caterer that believed they could freeze food for months then claim it was “fresh”. Even they did not like the frozen entrees in the grocery stores yet insisted THEIR frozen entrees were “FRESH”.

The people so paranoid that they believed the people on Yelp and other review sites were engaged in a conspiracy to put them out of business.

• Arconaut says:

I believe the percentage was nearly half or just over, based on an old fan-site that lasted for about 2 years. In each case, it seems the owners went back to their bad habits or egos.

• Brian says:

62 closed and 39 open for the US version. 2 open with the original name in the U.K version 16 closed and 4 either renamed or owned by someone new. The U.K Great British Nightmares both places are still open there. Low rate of success for Chef but it”s tough to change a unwilling owner!

• Bob says:

Check out the show on IMDB.

41. Hellen Newman says:

MIssing stats: Suicides from his abrasive behaviour..

• mishkamoto says:

“Oh boo hoo, somebody told me straight up how terrible my food is and my feelings are hurt, I’m gonna kill myself, weeehhhhhhh” …Yeah… Right…

• thisheredude says:

you are a f&%$!ing pu$$y scott

• Scott says:

Boo hoo uh so I guess his form of bullying is alright in your eyes. All because it involves people that are striving for their dream to own and operate their own restaurant is acceptable. Is that what your saying kamoto? Cause if it is that’s what wrong with the world today, there’s a difference between constructive criticism and harsh verbal abuse to get a point across. Like this man has done over the years.