‘Full House’ Revival May Be in the Works

Full House Revival
Image courtesy of ABC

“Have mercy!” Is “Full House” really coming back to TV? According to sources, a revival of the ’90s ratings darling is in the early stages of development.

While nothing is set in stone, there’s been talks at Warner Bros. Television about bringing back the sitcom, and some of its original cast, for a revival nearly 20 years after the long-running ABC show had its finale. Cast member John Stamos is reportedly spearheading the idea, along with original series creator Jeff Franklin and executive producer Bob Boyett.

SEE ALSO: Best Moments from the Emmy Awards

It’s little wonder why Warner Bros. would want to bring back “Full House.” Nick at Nite reports that its primetime repeats of the show average 1.5 million viewers, pulling in fans that are too young to remember (or weren’t even born during) the show’s original run from 1987-95.

“Full House” was a front-runner on ABC’s TGIF lineup, and it would only be the most recent show from the Friday night ’90s staple to make a comeback. “Boy Meets World,” which built up a cult following that lasted well past the sitcom’s end in 2000, was recently revived for a spinoff. Original cast members Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel came back for the Disney Channel’s “Girl Meets World.” It brought in strong ratings for the channel, which may have spurred conversations for “Full House.”

SEE ALSO: The Biggest Emmy Snubs and Surprises

This wouldn’t be the first time the cast has reunited for TV. Male leads Stamos, Dave Coulier and Bob Saget came together for a yogurt commercial that aired during the Super Bowl, and Stamos and Saget appeared together for a Funny or Die skit.

Stamos recently hinted at the possibility of a revival, appearing on Bravo’s “Watch What Happens Live” and commenting, “We’re sort of working on a twist on a sequel.”

CBS is also attempting to cash in on a favorite comedy of the past. The Eye is reviving sitcom “The Odd Couple,” which originally ran from 1970-75 on ABC, with Matthew Perry and Thomas Lennon set to star. ABC previously revived the comedy in 1982 with “The New Odd Couple,” though it only lasted one season.

Along with Stamos, Saget and Coulier, “Full House” also starred Candace Cameron, Jodie Sweetin, Mary-Kate Olsen, Ashley Olsen, Lori Loughlin, Andrea Barber and Scott Weinger.

TV Guide Magazine first reported the “Full House” news.

1. Wyatt says:

Please bring full house back I love full house

2. Lisa says:

Please bring them back I love to see this happen

3. Pete Braun says:

I remember watching this show back when it was still airing new episodes. This new run could be interesting.

4. it’s about time to get back to sitcoms, sick to death with reality crap. bring back Full House, and shows like it….happy days, Laverne and Shirley, family matters….wow that’s when TV was TV

5. NO NO NO NO NO. NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS A DAMN REBOT

6. Enjoyed the show except for Dave Coulier, who had to be the most obnoxious dude on TV at that time (or before or since) and I’m sure he’ll be up for the revival, I doubt he has had much work since Full House went off the air! Hahahahaha!

7. Rose Tannacore says:

I love Full House. However, I never understood at the last few seasons when the beginning starts and you see Danny and Jessie sitting on the grass with the kids, why does Lori Loughlin (AKA Rebecca) come on first to Jessie and Dave Coulier (AKA Joey) comes on after her when he has been on the show much longer. Don’t quite understand how the credits work but Joey should come before Rebecca!!!! If I’m wrong for some reason I stand corrected. However, I don’t think so. Meanwhile I love Full House and would certainly watch a revival.
    Rose Tannacore

8. Hannah says:

I love the shoe full house I could watch it for hours and watch the same one over and over. I love it so much that I have all 10 seasons of it. And hope to have more come out soon and maybe get those. I love your show.

9. Kim says:

please say it’s not so. ugh.

10. RICKY PERKINS IS AN IDIOT says:

agreed! gays and sex are the causes of all problems!!

11. Jill says:

This was one of the dumbest shows with really bad acting. Just bad in every way.

12. Eva Hutsell says:

I still watch all those old reruns here all the time. I sure hope they make a come back cause I will be watching it for sure!!!

13. The olsons are way way WAY TOO COOL for this.

(just ask them)

14. kelly says:

BRING BACK FULL HOUSE! I THINK IT WOULD WORK OUT BETTER THAN GIRL MEETS WORLD… I LIKE THE SHOW, BUT COME ON! ITS FULL HOUSE… I THINK EVERYONE WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT.. EVEN IF IT WAS JUST A SEASON OR 2..

15. S says:

I would take a revival of this over another reality show any day! I think with some modernizing, it could work.

16. JE says:

Has anyone pointed out the fact that the actress who played Stephanie Tanner is deceased? Therefore, it would not be a TRUE Revival…unless of course they will somehow try to explain that Stephanie was recently killed between the last time we saw her in her beginning teens, and her adult life.

17. Jarrod Rossi says:

are they talking about a reunion or an actual revival series???

18. Stephanie says:

Although my inner child is screaming happily for a spin off/reunion show, my adult self reminds the inner child of all of the t.v. reunion shows and how bad they were. Anyone remember the Growing Pains one or any of the Brady Bunch ones? They tend to become way too cheesy.

19. rick says:

I have always said they should do a spin off with DJ having triplets and call it “Three of a Kind” to play off of the poker term.

20. A says:

I don’t think it’s going to happen.. To many people have forgotten about it. Only times I watch the reruns is when I am bored or nothing else is on (a.k.a. early morning showings).

21. jenny says:

my kids love the show.and they weren’t born when show aired.

22. Gary says:

Stamos, Saget & Coulier. Haven’t had much of a career since this show and now they want to grasp at straws 20 years later. Pitiful.

23. Bobby Keller says:

What an awful idea. Let sleeping Tanners lie.

24. Amanda says:

Please, please bring Full House back. I love this show & Uncle Jessie & the whole gang. :D

25. Bill T says:

God, no…! That house was a roach motel–you’d check in, and never check out. Ask Jesse and Becky. I suppose DJ, Stephanie, Michelle, Alex, and Nicky and their spouses and kids will all be living there, too? Jesse–a grandpa. Ha ha ha…

“The New Odd Couple,” by the way, was Ron Glass (“Barney Miller”) and Demond Wilson (“Sanford and Son”).

26. Josh Oliveira says:

Baby Boomer nostalgia? You missed by about 25 years there, bud. Try Gen-X at most. Probably more like Gen Y.

27. Jacques Strappe says:

Please let this cheese continue to rot. The entire TGIF lineup was awful when it originally aired. Reviving these turkeys might tap baby boomer nostalgia for childhoods long gone but this demonstrates that creativity and originality is completely bankrupt.

28. hbk72777 says:

After “Girl Meets World”, you’re going to see a ton of revivals. It’s cheap, has a pre-built audience, and people love nostalgia.

I’d love to see “King of Queens” or “Drew Carey Show” come back

• Merri says:

Agreed, the reruns of the shows already have a strong audience, even many who weren’t even born when the show was originally on. A revival makes good business sense… There is a built in market and a lot of people are tired of the reality shows.

29. Anon says:

Mary Kate and Ashley probably won’t touch a Full House revive. Also – Just because the original was good, it doesn’t mean those who grew up with it will immediately like it. There were some definite negative reactions to GMW from the older crowd.

30. This was a hoax from Onion News LOL way to report a lie lol

31. Sandee says:

I doubt very seriously if Mary Kate or Ashley would find time to show up for this reunion, they are too “Full” of themselves for “Full House”.

32. lexy says:

please let this happen

33. Hero says:

The Full House reboot is going to flop so hard because it will never live up to the original.

34. Jeff says:

But how do you solve the Mary-Kate & Ashley Olson problem? Do they each play the Michelle character in alternate weeks? Alternate scenes? Or has Uncle Jessie turned into a mad scientist and created a clone Michelle?

• Lisa says:

Remember there was the Greek cousin Melina, who was a Michelle lookalike? Maybe one of the Olson twins could be cousin Melina… LOL

• Sadies Ariel says:

Considering they’re both grown and have their own lives, I’m assuming there’s a strong possibility maybe only one of them would even be interested in doing a revival. Or if not, and both do sign on, it would make it easy for one to go off and do other projects as it wouldn’t interfere with filming since the other one can simply step in.

35. Ronald Kaim says:

for those who say why and yuk, just don’t watch it. The show was very entertaining, wholesome and just something that makes most people feel good. they do need, like one person said, make it modern. the biggest problem they will have is some people will expect the girls to still be little when they are know grown adults and have kids of their own.

36. Khela says:

WHY? Yuck.

37. The Disgruntled Fan says:

Oh yeah, this crap comes back, but Happy Endings gets cancelled. Why god why have you forsaken me :””(( I swear this show is like cancer, you hate everything about it and when you think it’s gone, it comes back!

38. Kristen Cook says:

I’ll watch ANYTHING with Uncle Jessie in it! ;) Seriously though, I’d love to see a modern take on Full House – loved it back then and I still enjoy the cast today.

39. It’s about time they brought back some real shows :) So tired of all the drama that is on TV anymore!

40. Totally on board for this.

41. Oh please dear God no.