Fox Will Pull Back On ‘American Idol’

Primetime Ad Price Survey

American Idol,” long the spine of Fox’s primetime schedule in the second half of the season, is due for a little rehabilitative surgery.

The network intends to pare back the hours it has typically devoted to the program, and is still working on a new format for the venerable show, said Kevin Reilly, Fox’s chairman of entertainment, in a conference call with reporters Monday to discuss Fox’s plans for the 2014-2015 TV season. “American Idol” will  “end up being a two-hour show on one night through most of its run,” Reilly said, noting that the new presentation of  the competition program remained “a work in progress.”

The show’s presence on Fox’s schedule has been so dominant that for the first time in many years, Fox did not unveil a firm lineup for the second half of the season.

Fox’s decision to prune the show’s presence reflects the mainstay’s diminished power. After nearly a decade and a half on the air, “Idol’s” age has outweighed its broader allure, but Fox executives believe it could have a long tenure on its  air if treated properly. Reilly pointed to CBS’ “Survivor,” which he said “had a vital season last year” even though it is no longer a top ratings draw. “That’s the mode we are in with ‘Idol” now. It’s not about turning it around. That story has been filed. Now it’s about making it a good show for many years to come.”

The show’s ratings story has become one of the most followed plotlines in television, owing perhaps to the program’s seismic effect on TV culture. Here was a TV event that brought parents and children together to watch the rise and fall of unknowns-turned-famous, including people like Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Kellie Pickler. At one time, “Idol” was drawing more than 20 million viewers on each of two nights that Fox broadcast it.

But its mature status has been hard to ignore. AT&T, a longtime sponsor of the show that used it to generate consumer interest in mobile-phone texting when that technology was in its infancy, dropped its sponsorship before “Idol” started this season. Ford Motor, another veteran supporter of the program, pulled back its support in previous seasons, allowing rival automakers to advertise on the second weekly edition of the program. In an earlier time, Ford demanded that no other carmaker be allowed to run ads on “Idol.”

At its height, “Idol” took up 50 hours of programming or more each season. In 2015, Reilly said, it was likely to take up 37 hours or so. While Fox will give two nights to “Idol” when the show is still in its audition process, that is likely to end early on in the second half of the year.

While “Idol” may look different next season, one of its elements is likely to look the same. When asked if the show’s current group of judges — Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick, Jr. — would return, Reilly said, “We are getting good indications from all of them.”

 

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 3

Leave a Reply

3 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. Marc Bergman says:

    Get rid of Harry Connick, Jr. He’s a rude, pompous windbag.

  2. Steve says:

    If Idol would open up their age limitations and let the best singers out there be part of the show, the ratings would go up, perhaps. The Voice has no age limit, thus pushing ratings way up. Look at how an entire country got behind Tessanne Chin. Talk about major views.

    • Pamela says:

      Not only open up the age limit, but I think that the bottom age opening is too young. They should leave the young uns for their own show and start the age from about 21 – that’s my 2 cents. Also, in spite of the criticisms of Randy, I do miss him. I also miss some “colour”. lol

More TV News from Variety

Loading