Fox Cancels ‘Raising Hope’ After 4 Seasons

Raising Hope

Fox is pulling the plug on family comedy “Raising Hope” after four seasons.

The 20th Century Fox TV sitcom, created by Greg Garcia, will wrap with an hourlong finale on April 4.

The writing was on the wall for the show this season when “Hope” was moved to the low-traffic Friday 9:30 p.m. slot. Show revolving around a dysfunctional family that pulls together when the adult son winds up with an unexpected baby stars Lucas Neff, Martha Plimpton, Garret Dillahunt and Cloris Leachman.

“On behalf of myself, Greg Garcia and ‘Raising Hope’s’ amazing cast and crew, I would like to thank our audience for tuning in and supporting us over the last four seasons,” said exec producer Mike Mariano. “We planned our Season Four finale with this possibility in mind, and hope our loyal fans enjoy the way we’ve chosen to say goodbye to the Chances and to Natesville.  Thanks again, and we’ll see you in syndication.”

1. This is very upsetting news, they screwed themselves with no advertising for a few years and finally moving it to Friday. Fox really doesn’t have any clue what people actually like, this wasn’t a show I watched because nothing else was on, it was a show I genuinely loved and raved about to people but no one ever heard of it :( Why a quality comedy with an amazing cast and great writing is being cancelled while crap shows like Glee are still on (and I used to be a major Glee fan) is a freakin crime. Shame on you Fox.

2. Steven Roach says:

That totally sucks. You can keep the other crap you show on television but you always cancel the good shows. Raising Hope has caused me and my wife to alter plans just to make sure we could watch. We absolutely love this show and I think you are making a big mistake. Raising Hope was one of the best you have had on in along time. We are VERY upset that we will know longer know Hope and the rest of the amazing cast. Which by the way were casted so well. Please rethink this decision and Restore our Hope.

3. You fools! What a dumb decision!

4. Pamela Runk says:

Why is it intelligent humor, references to the true lives of so many, triple meanings, history references….and FANTASTIC acting is not honored. Who makes these decisions and what are they based on? Great show with no swearing and not ridiculous REALITY . FAMILY VALUES…NOT STUPID REALITY.

5. Rick Foley says:

Greg Garcia we love you!! I have enjoyed your shows and am heartbroken that the Chance family hasn’t been given one. Thanks for making us laugh at characters that cut close to the truth in our own lives while making us thankful we aren’t them. Earl and Hope are truly Karma Chameleons.

6. Jasmine says:

You can’t cancel it it’s the only show worth watchin :(

7. Phil says:

Very sad. Only 1 of 2 comedies worth watching on Network TV (the other being BBT).

8. Henry Hall says:

This show was such a smart and well-written comedy disguised as a low-brow dumb show. Maybe another channel will pick it up, just like how TBS picked up Cougar Town?

9. PLEASE STOP CANCELLING GOOD SHOWS…. PEOPLE ARE GETTING FED UP WITH THE BULL CRAP FROM FOX!!!!!

• Well, you did it. You failed to advertise or promote. You moved it around you made it appear and disappear so much its audience got lost. I found it by DVR and have been recording it faithfully. I am so sad to see another corporate decision does not take into account the way the people really feel.

10. Michelle K says:

I swear Fox is the stupidest network. They have always moved or messed with the programming time so no one ever knew when the show was on. Screw American idol and it 4688 season. No one cares about it anymore. Stop rearranging shows to accommodate bullsh*t shows like AI! Then maybe you’d get a better grip on the Nielson ratings! Idiots!!!

11. cxg says:

Should never have moved it to Friday night. A fun and quirky show that will be missed.

12. therealeverton says:

I’ve been waiting for the cancelled news on this show since half way through the first series. It’s a great show and a real shame it never managed to get enough people to give it a go.

Maybe Netflix or Amazon will save it for us?

13. Elissa says:

Seems like they knock off all the good shows and put on crappy singing and dancing shows..BOGUS!!!

14. Ruth Malcolm says:

Its a shame…this show was wonderful. It was full of family love..in a funny dysfunctional way…not drenched with sex…no swearing and hysterical story lines. I actually LOL ‘ d at Raising Hope. Sure will miss it Friday night or Tuesday night. I will be waiting for syndication.
    Thanks for 4 seasons of laughs Fox!!!

15. Claudia Bautista says:

That’s a shame. Raising Hope is a great family friendly show. My husband and I related to this show. Very sad to see it go.

16. Amy Pond in the TARDIS says:

To SKDoglover: I’ve dealt up close and personal with relatives with dementia as well (including, on two separate occasions, two relatives who lived with me, one for several months, the other for just over a year), and I think you need to have a sense of humor about these things. Or, at least, not to tell you what to do, it’s easier IF you have a sense of humor about these things. Cloris Leachman’s character was funny and the show overall was adorable; I’m sad to see it go.

17. Peggy Mathias says:

This is a great show & cast.just a bum time!!

18. Kyle Chance says:

This is the worst, I hope Fox gets clobbered with a TV set and Poppa Woody brings them nothing for Arbor Day!

19. Keanna says:

Just like what NBC did to My Name Is Earl except we never found out who Earl Jr’s real father was because they left us on a cliffhanger

• Kerry says:

Dodge was revealed to be Earl’s son from a forgotten/drunken one night stand with Joy. Earl Jr. was Darnell’s son, conceived while she was married to Earl.

• Alli says:

In a Reddit interview with Garcia, he said he was planning on making him the child of a celebrity who had come to tour through the town, like Dave Chappelle, they just never got to figure it out :(

• Elissa says:

Yeah, but the DNA didn’t match Darnell to any of the boys…Then it was to be continued…

20. SKDogLover says:

I was never a fan of the show and let the network know very early on. Why? I found Cloris Leachman’s character offensive given that she was portrayed as having dementia. As one who has lived with and cared for several family members with Alzheimer’s, this character really was beyond any words I could find and totally unneccesary given the dramatic rise in dementia rates.

• therealeverton says:

Can’t agree at all. ALL of the characters are very off the wall and over the top and the idea that ‘Maw Maw; is somehow supposed to represent your average dementia sufferer (if there is such a thing) is frankly a non-starter. I may as well be offended by the portrayal of all gardeners as morons and small town lawyers idiots. (“Mental” illness is something I take seriously too and none of my family see anything to take offence at there.

Sorry it wasn’t for you and that you were offended, but perhaps if you took a longer look, you may see that, in the context of ALL the people in the show, there’s little to take offence with?