Fox Cancels ‘Dads,’ ‘Enlisted,’ ‘Surviving Jack’ and ‘Rake’

Fox Renews Dads for Second Season

Fox has given the ax to three freshman comedies: “Dads,” “Surviving Jack” and “Enlisted.”

Drama “Rake,” starring Greg Kinnear, was also formally cancelled on Wednesday, as expected.

The network has ordered four new comedies for the coming season, and is expected to pick up at least one more, “Cabot College,” exec produced by “30 Rock” duo Tina Fey and Robert Carlock.

“Dads” (pictured), from 20th Century Fox TV, bowed with the highest profile, coming from the Seth MacFarlane shop and “Ted” writers Alec Sulkin and Wellesley Wild. The show had a tough assignment in opening Fox’s Tuesday lineup in the 8 p.m. slot.

“Surviving Jack,” starring Chris Meloni, was a late midseason entry from Warner Bros. TV and Bill Lawrence’s banner.

“Enlisted,” also from 20th TV, had the strongest critical response of the three, drawing praise for its portrayal of the unique pressures on families in the military. Series was created by Kevin Biegel.

So far, Fox has given series greenlights to four new comedies, including and animated entry from MacFarlane, “Bordertown” (20th TV) and an ensembler led by “Saturday Night Live” vet John Mulaney from Universla TV.

“Weird Loners” (20th TV) is about a group of commitment-phobic people who wind up living in the same apartment building. And “Last Man on Earth” (20th TV) stars Will Forte.

Wednesday’s cancellations make “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” the only freshman comedy from Fox’s 2013-14 slate to get a renewal.

1. Linda says:

Surviving Jack was the funniest show on TV, don’t know why you cancelled it.

2. J. J. says:

I agree, very disappointed that they canceled “surviving Jack”. My fiancee and I love the show the show is so funny and kinda remind us on how our parents raised us. Tough love but it works.
    I really wish that another network picks it up. I hate that they decide to keep all the crappy reality shows and get rid of the good shows.

3. Nickie says:

I thought “Surviving Jack” was great! The show was a little too cute at times, but I also thought it was funny and although it was a “family comedy” it wasn’t a family I’d seen on tv before. Christopher Meloni was awesome, the perfect tough guy Dad, with more giving a crap thrown in. I really don’t think it was even really given a chance to show us what it was made of. My husband laughs at me cuz I rarely watch a new show, no matter how much I want to see it, until it’s been around a few seasons. This is why.

4. Sheryl says:

everyone PLEASE email Fox at askfox@fox.com and BEG them NOT to cancel Surviving jack!! I just did. Thank you!

5. Kathy says:

Bring Back Surviving Jack!!! I thought Christopher Meloni was great. The story lines was so entertaining. We are so disappointed FOX. I thought the show was so well written and it always had a message. I could watch it with my 14 year old and not get embarrased.

6. Sheryl says:

I can NOT believe you are canceling Surviving Jack!!!! One of THE BEST late season shows in MANY years!!!! Finally another show that I could actually Laugh Out Loud at, and now it’s gone. BAD MOVE FOX!!!!! UGH

7. Linda says:

we are so upset about the cancellation of SURVIVING JACK!!! The best show in a long time! Finally a hysterical show that even my two teens loved!!! very disappointed!!!

8. Jim says:

Maybe fox will put on another Kitchen Nightmares shows or some other mindless dribble. Surviving Jack was smart and funny, it takes place before everyone had their faces buried in their cell phone and was a welcome break from reality TV and social media. Horrible decision to cancel

9. jUDI says:

Surviving Jack cancelled-SERIOUSLY!!!!!

10. Judi says:

Surviving Jack cancelled-SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!

11. Adam says:

Please sign the petition on change.org to help save Surviving Jack. Brilliant comedy, cast, and writing. Very poor choice Fox. Fire that executive!

12. Nic says:

So very sad surviving jack got cancelled. It was a funny show, try it on a different night but don’t get rid of it please

13. Heidi says:

Quit canceling shows before giving them a chance! This show is hilarious! Christopher Meloni is great as is the rest of the cast. There are so few shows worth watching and this is one of them! Do a better job marketing and developing your shows before you just give up.

14. Nancy says:

Don’t cancel Surviving Jack!!! It is one of the few terrific comedies on television. Great actors, well written, and simply hilarious. It is the only comedy we look forward to all week. With all of the boring formula driven comedies on television, I am so disappointed that Fox would cancel this show. I thought Fox was more courageous than that. Do we really need another silly reality show Fox? Give the show a chance.

15. brandi says:

We love Surviving Jack! I will refuse to watch the new shows fox brings on if they do not bring back Surviving Jack.

16. Kim says:

I agree! Surviving Jack is HILARIOUS!!! Reminds me of growing up in the 80’s. Give it a chance!

17. Terri says:

We love Surviving Jack! It is well written, well acted and VERY funny!!! I don’t understand why Fox isn’t willing to give it a decent chance to pick up viewership and ratings. Boo, Fox!

18. Laurie says:

We love Surviving Jack! Any parent raising teenagers can relate to this show. How they handle it all just brings such great laughter. Crazy mistake letting this one go!

19. Micaela says:

It was like Fox was deliberately trying to sabotage Enlisted, it did so many evil things to it. And that would be one thing if the show had been so bad it was an embarrassment that Fox wanted to bury, but TV critics pretty much universally agreed it was a great show and one of the very best new comedies: not just funny as hell, but moving and meaningful as well. And yet Fox gave it an awful premiere date (which it kept changing without advertising the change) and an even worse timeslot. Not only did it bury it on Fridays, it gave the show no support as its entire Friday lineup collapsed once they put Bones back on Mondays. It showed the episodes out of order, the promotion was awful and it ignored all the positive buzz from TV experts. Instead of showing all 13 episodes, it showed reruns or none at all, halting all momentum in its tracks. Tons of TV journalists are lambasting Fox right now for its horrible treatment of such a brilliant show.

20. Janet Rowe says:

Really, finally a funny sitcom that has good actors and you cancel it…..bring back Surviving Jack! It was brought on late in the season and you didn’t give it a chance.

21. Linda Wess says:

I thought Dads was one of the funniest new shows on tv …. not fair

22. Johhnie R says:

I like Rake. I hope some other group picks it up.

23. swag46 says:

This is why you moron decision makers at Fox, with your 4th place metalities, will always find yourselves behind CBS,ABC,and NBC…in 4th place. You cancel “Surviving Jack” citing low ratings. What do you expect putting them on the second half hour of Grey’s Anatomy? Try another time slot! Hopefully, another network will pick them up…PLEASE!!

24. Julie Marks says:

I love Surviving Jack! Love seeing Christopher Meloni doing comedy! The show just started, why not give it a chance?!

25. Cara Davis says:

I don’t think Surviving Jack has been given a proper chance. Please bring it back! It was great to see Christopher Meloni on TV again. And while you’re at it, bring back Raising Hope! Seriously Fox, you moved Raising Hope to Fridays and put Dads in its place. You murdered Raising Hope for an unfunny comedy that was canceled anyway. Bring it back!

• Aracely Attinger says:

surviving Jack is a great and incredibly entertaining show. We think this was an unwise decision on the part of the network to cancel this show. I know we will not be tuning in to any other alternative on this channel

26. Janet Bell says:

Why cancel a brand new show, Give people time to catch on to it. Its a busy world out there. Surviving Jack is hilarious and the cast is great. Christopher is awesome , You need to give this baby some time and more advertising.

27. Kathy Young says:

WE LOVE “SURVIVING JACK” ~ please do not cancel it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. DB Nyce says:

PEOPLE LET’S TAKE TO TWITTER AND SAVE “Surviving Jack’ ” #bringbackSurvivingJack

29. Paul says:

Enlisted was the one military show I acutally enjoyed as an actual enlisted military member.

30. Maria Louden says:

Please don’t cancel Surviving Jack!!! If the rating are down it’s probably because people like me watch it online! It’s a great show!

31. Mr. Derp says:

Dads was unfunny, unwatchable garbage. Good riddance to all of these shows.

32. Sara says:

I LOVE SUVINVING JACK!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO

33. Sad Sara says:

Surviving Jack is so funny!! Why would it be canceled…???

34. Stacey Morrison says:

I think FOX sucks !!! All the shows they are cancelling are good shows and they are really stupid for cancelling them !!! Especially Surviving Jack which is really funny !!!

• Stacey Morrison says:

I was just reading through all the comments and I hope FOX pays attention because if you don’t you are going to lose viewers .. or hopefully .. like my son was saying maybe one of the other stations will pick up these shows because they are good shows and you are being really stupid for dropping them .. reality shows are not where it’s at trust me .. a good comedy goes a lot further in my book then a reality show for me .. I’m way more invested in a good comedy or a good drama !!! These shows are good and I watch them every week !!! My son does too !!! Please don’t be stupid and rethink this or I’m going to hope the other networks think about picking up these shows !!!

35. Family Guy made fun of the running gag that Fox cancels so many shows because they all suck.

36. Matt says:

I didn’t much care for Dads but Surviving Jack, and Enlisted were pretty good. I’m sure fox really needed the airspace for another stupid singing/dancing competition. Jeez Fox you’re really shooting yourself in the foot lately. Canceling Raising Hope was the worst.

37. Surviving Jack was hilarious but of course, the genius at Fox certainly have something better to put on TV like American Idol. SMH

38. Jane says:

They were all very bad shows.

39. Monica says:

So ridiculous. dads was the best comedy FOX had going for them. Terrible decision, FOX.

40. I can totally see why they cancelled Surviving Jack; it was well written, had a good cast and was funny. Three things FOX just can not have on their network. Please give us more reality shows, perhaps you can combine them; single singers in a music competition vying for the affections of a bachelor who eliminates contestants by cooking a meal for them while Gordon Ramsey yells at him. Stay classy FOX.

41. Robbie says:

What the hell FOX! Surviving Jack is a good show! Get your heads out of your arses!!

42. Mari says:

Aren’t Brooklyn 99 and Dads both on their second seasons?

43. BK says:

Fox is by far the worst network in television. Just awful decision making canceling Surviving Jack. Show is loads better than New Girl and that’s their top show. Stupid. Stick to terrible reality tv cooking shows Fox!

44. piles of crap! it all crap!

45. Ricardo Negron says:

that’s it I’ve had enough with Fox they keep cancelling all these great shows and leaving stupid crap like Brooklyn nine-nine to hell with Fox you have just lost a viewer

46. mike says:

Liked Surviving Jack, liked Rake, thanks Fox. Should cancel Foxes’ shot callers. I got it, how about more crappy reality tv shows, copy the other networks. Lead in with American Idol was the loser right there. Probably somebody new at fox wanting to “make a statement by cleaning house”. Frickin douche. Oh and lets not forget to move any good shows they have left to Friday or Saturday night.

47. Melanie says:

Bad move cancelling Enlisted. That was a truly funny show and showcased a segment of our society woefully underrepresented in TV programming–the military. It was smart, funny and accurate in its portrayal of the Army. Fox plunked it into the Friday lineup to kill it before it got a toehold. What a shame.

48. Susan says:

Well, this is the network that cancelled Firefly…

49. Allison says:

Surviving Jack is great! What are you thinking FOX? Please change this decision and pick up this show for another season! puuuuuhhhhlllllleeeeaaaaase?

50. Leslie says:

I am disgusted. Fox finally has some great shows and cancels them. I guess if it isn’t animated or reality TV, they won’t keep it. I LOVE RAKE and DADS. DON’T CANCEL!