Four Questions for ‘Money Honey’ Maria Bartiromo

Maria Bartiromo
Andrew H Walker

Maria Bartiromo has earned good ratings with her two new shows, the daily “Opening Bell With Maria Bartiromo” on Fox Business Network and the live “Sunday Morning Futures” on Fox News Channel. Bartiromo, aka “The Money Honey,” burst onto the business-news scene 20 years ago on CNBC, making headlines as the first person to broadcast from the floor of the stock exchange.

When moving to Fox, what was the most important creative element you wanted?
I didn’t want to be in a soundbite situation. I was getting pressure all the time at CNBC to have four or five people at once in interviews for five minutes. I like longer interviews and one-on-ones. I think audiences have changed and don’t want “short-termism”; they want analysis and perspective. That was important to me.

You’re working six days a week. How do you recharge your batteries?
I work out a lot; I ride my bike when I come home. I’ll do 20 or 30 miles a couple of times a week. And I love yoga. It’s really important to separate yourself from work for at least one hour a day, to exercise and put your mind elsewhere.

You’ve copyrighted “Money Honey”; What was the goal?
Somebody came up with that nickname for me, I didn’t invent it. But I have been trying to start a company to teach kids about money. So I came up with the idea of doing something in the style of “Schoolhouse Rock.” We made two videos: “What is a stock?” and “What is an ATM machine?” It was perfect to use a character named Money Honey: I created a jar of honey with a smiley face. I took it to private equity firms and people liked it, they just didn’t want to give me money. So I’ve put it aside (for now).

How did you learn about money?
I grew up in a family that worked incredibly hard. My father worked behind a hot stove in a restaurant he owned, sweating with a bandana around his head. My mother, the same thing. All I ever have watched is my parents working hard and saving their money. That’s why I’m a good saver. Today, how many kids grow up without understanding the value of a dollar?

1. Hawaii bob says:

Aloha, that beautiful buxom leggy sultry shapely alluring brilliant MARIA B iza GODDESS period, those lips &eyes hb

2. stan newman says:

In the sound bit media for our financial news Maria brings back the probing interviews of industry leaders with civil questions not the ” make the sound bit” gotcha your ass question. Maria brought personality to the great traders of the NYSE as she was the first to reported live from the “boy’s club floor” of the Exchange. She will win the with the true investors and investors to be. As a note in “HISTORY: Maria was on air during the Twin Towers attacks, went out on the street during the collapse, and returned to the floor of the Exchange covered with debrie to comely report New York was hit badly and STILL STANDING.

3. Nielsen says:

Um… who’s doing the fact-checking over there? Maria’s show on Fox Business has been a HUGE ratings disaster. She’s getting 75% fewer viewers than the network got on those hours before she got there. And she’s also killed the ratings on the shows that come after her. This is a terrible lack of research on your part.

4. John M. Thomas says:

Maria Bartiromo represents everything that is wrong with financial journalism today. While she was impossible to watch on CNBC, her moving to the even more openly pro-business, partisan makes her work completely irrelevant.

5. I would watch CNBC now I’m all yours. You ask and get the answers to questions we all would like to ask.

6. Great show Maria, very informative and easy to follow, not confusing like squawk on the street and mad money!!! where you dont understand what jim cramer is talking about half the time. i am a convert!

7. john george says:

I only watch CNBC, thus Maria, you lose.

8. Nancela says:

Maria, after listening to you flap your lips endlessly on CNBC, HTF did you not foresee the ’08 crash that buried the rest of us (not you, of course, thanks to your lucrative marriage of convenience). And if you did see it coming, WHICH YOU SHOULD HAVE, who were you protecting in avoiding publicizing the Great Wall St. Ponzi Scheme?

9. Roy Clemans says:

“Money Honey” … a perfectly fitting reference of Maria and her work . Been in love with her for years! Nice article/tribute to a very special lady. Thanks Tim.