Food Network Renews ‘Beat Bobby Flay’ as Cabler’s Ratings Perk Up

Bobby Flay
Ethan Miller/Getty Images

Food Network has ordered another 26 episodes of its latest Bobby Flay series, “Beat Bobby Flay,” which is among a handful of new shows showing some life for the Scripps Networks Interactive cabler this past quarter.

Scripps Networks has been under scrutiny from investors for ratings dips at its flagship Food Network cabler — a topic of much discussion for its past two quarterly earnings calls with Wall Streeters. But in Q1, Food Network saw some gains with its newest trio of competition series, “Beat Bobby Flay” (averaging .6 in adults 18-49 since its March 10 debut), Guy Fieri-hosted “Guy’s Grocery Games” (with an average .7 in adults 18-49) and Alton Brown’s “Cutthroat Kitchen” (average .8 adults 18-49).

Food Network’s primetime numbers for the quarter inched up 3% in adults 18-49 (to 490,000) and 10% in among women 18-49 (310,000) compared to the year-ago quarter. The cabler noted that its median age has dropped two years, to 47, compared to first-quarter 2013.

Food Network also saw 25% year-to-year viewership gains in its morning lineup with “Pioneer Woman” and “Trisha’s Southern Kitchen,” both averaging a .9 in women 25-54.

“Beat Bobby Flay” features two contestants who battle for a chance at a cook off with Flay. Series hails from Flay’s Rock Shrimp Prods. and its exec produced by Flay and Kim Martin.

1. Alucard says:

What is his record?

2. Kelly says:

Notice that Bobby’s win/loss record is much better on this show than it was on Throwdown? On this show, the competitors are on his turf and have the added stress of having to compete just for the ” privilege” of facing him. I think he gave up Throwdown because he lost too many times.

3. Millie says:

I like Bobby Flat but I don’t like unfairNess. Why does he always win the competition in the “Beat Bobby Flat”? It also makes the show boring!!! I don’t think I’ll be watching the show anymore. It’s just not exciting when the same person is constantly winning!!!

4. Brenda says:

Why does the competitirs food always go first? Bobbys is placed 2nd. I think the judges are aware of this. Especially the ones that do not want to offend CHEF FLAY. T here were times I just felt he should not have won.

5. Brenda says:

Not playing fair. The competitor always goes first. Bobby goes 2nd. I think the judges are informed of this. Just my ipinuon.

6. annette says:

I hare this show .He never loses .the judges are paid to pick his .on throwdown w bobby flay he lost often and against ordinary people. Not chefs.why watch if he’s always the winner?

7. John Hall says:

There is a mistake in this article. This show has two contestants battling for a chance to take on Bobby Flay, not three as stated in the article.

• I love any show that includes Bobby Flay. I think he is awesome. I am 71 years old, I love to cook,but now all my family is always on a diet. I will never be on a diet. 23 years ago I had a liver transplant, and couldn’t eat, and now I eat what I want, so no diets for me. I do eat pretty healthy. I just have to have my coke, ans Lays potato chips.

8. Nancy Hughes says:

I would like to go back to the cooking shows, that don’t have so much Bobby Flay. When i turn on my tv he all i see. A little bit of him goes a long way. I turn on cooking channel and there he is. I turn on food network and there he is again.

9. ann says:

i am so tired of cooking shows that are competition I would like to have more shows that actually show you how and what to cook.