‘The Flash’: Andy Mientus Says Gay Villain Pied Piper is a ‘Huge Step Forward’

Andy Mientus
Taylor Hill/FilmMagic

Theater actor Andy Mientus, who is currently starring as Marius in the Broadway revival of “Les Misérables,” has joined the CW’s breakout hit “The Flash” to play the hearing impaired, openly gay villain Pied Piper (aka Hartley Rathaway). Mientus’ role will be the first gay supervillain ever to be featured on the small or big screen.

“With the gay thing, I feel like I’m representing a whole community,” Mientus, 28, told Variety at the “Into the Woods” premiere in New York on Monday night. “People are excited to see this character, so it is a lot of pressure. But I’m glad they are introducing the character to the show. It’s a huge step forward, and I’m thrilled to help make that happen. It’s awesome.”

Mientus, who is engaged to actor Michael Arden, admits he’s more nervous about pleasing the comicbook’s avid fans than addressing his character’s sexuality.

“The universe of ‘The Flash’ has such an intense, passionate fanbase, which has existed since the ’60s, and this is the first time he’s been in a live-action, on-camera interpretation, so I hope I pulled it off.”

One thing he enjoyed was donning his comicbook character’s costume — which is black and comes with a hood and a cape.

“It’s badass. I can’t put it on and not feel powerful,” said Mientus, who originally auditioned to play Barry Allen, aka the Flash. “It tells you everything you need to know on how to move and feel like a superhero. It does a lot of the work for you.”

Mientus will make his debut in the episode set to air on Jan. 27.

“The Flash” airs Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on The CW.

1. A “pied piper” leading kids into homosexuality? LOL, even when you win you lose.

• This is about two differ Pied Pipers that was created. The first one was hired by the townspeople to get rid of village of the mice problem but got angry when he didn’t his money and decide to kidnap the village children until he got his money. The second Pied Piper was created in the Flash comic book and became a fan favorite. Schadenfreude got his mind in the dirt.

2. Minckus says:

i feel bad for him, caught in the game of politics and big money

3. Chris says:

How stupid does Variety and Hollywood think the gay community is? The Pied Piper is theorised by anthropologist’s, historian’s and folk/children story critic’s, to be a real man, who lured unsuspecting children away only to molest and kill them. Another attempt to label homosexual men as villains and child molesters. Shame shame shame, considering 99% of child molestation is committed by heterosexuals, namely priest’s and those in power.

• G says:

First appearing in 1959, The Pied Piper has long been a character of the Flash comic books, both as a thief and as a hero. While he took his name from the children’s story – he has no connection whatsoever to any anthropologist or historian’s THEORY. It’s a classic Flash character – and he has NEVER been associated with child molestation. Your argument is nonsensical.

4. Justin Cowden says:

While making a “huge step forward” and showcasing a community of amazing people, the article took a nice skip back by alienating yet another minority community. The term “Hearing Impaired” is no longer acceptable and is offensive to Deaf People. Lets cover ALL of the inclusive rhetoric and make sure that we take 2 huge steps forward next time. Also, maybe considering hiring an actual Deaf or Hard of Hearing Actor could also continue the progress forward.

5. The Flash series got the right actor to play Pied Piper. Andy Mientus will his character come alive. I hope that Mientus will become a regular on Flash.

6. Ericka says:

I hope there is tough enough skin for some needed criticism here. I’m so over this whole same-sex campaign that is infiltrating itself in every aspect of media even when there is no provocation for it. From the first openly gay pro basketball player to this, it’s so old and lame. Hey! Guess what! I’m heterosexual! I want the world to support me and be sensitive to my need to be supported in making this announcement. Smh #GetOverIt

7. Justin Rudin says:

This kid turned in such a painful, self conscious performance on Smash, I’m genuinely surprised to see him on any screen again, big or small.

8. I can’t wait to see Andy Mientus as the Pied Piper. It will be interested to see how he developed his character. I hope that the Pied Piper will become an allies to the Flash.

9. Alex says:

They must want a “GLAAD” award REALLY bad.