ABC News Anchor Elizabeth Vargas Returns to Rehab

Elizabeth Vargas Rehab
Jim Spellman/WireImage

ABC News’ Elizabeth Vargas is continuing her battle against alcohol addiction and has headed back to rehab, she confirmed to several outlets on Sunday.

The “20/20” co-anchor has been open with the public about her struggle in the past. While on vacation in California this weekend, she checked into a treatment facility.

“As so many other recovering alcoholics know, overcoming the disease can be a long and incredibly difficult process. I feel I have let myself, my co-workers and most importantly my family down and for that I am ashamed and sorry,” Vargas said in a statement.

The 51-year-old was in a treatment facility for several weeks last fall. She opened up about her addiction in January during an interview with “Good Morning America” co-anchor George Stephanopoulos, admitting that she had reached out for help.

“I am. I am an alcoholic,” she said. “It took me a long time to admit that to myself. It took me a long time to admit it to my family, but I am.”

She went into detail about her addiction, and revealed that she was in Alcoholics Anonymous.

Vargas has been with ABC since 1996. There’s been no word on when she will return to work.

1. Beth baker says:

Wish I could talk to her.

2. Wanda says:

I think you are a brave lady sharing your addiction with us. I watch 20/20 every Friday night or record for later viewing if not home. I watch ABC 80% of the time because of the quality of programing. Prayers for you and your family!

3. Robert Absinthe says:

Who cares? Seriously. Another addict capitalizing on notoriety with a sob story for us all to say, “Awwwwwe, get better.” Why can’t people like this just go away quietly and get their sh*t together on their own? Why is this “news”?

4. Larry Shitterby Jr. says:

I would like to sit down with her and have a beer and another beer and another beer and another beer etc. Merely another left leaning whiner going on about how she was victimized by fill in the blank, in this case booze. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

5. B says:

Unfortunately most of us don’t have the resources of an overpaid teleprompter reader to check into a 50k-80k a month facility.

6. Well wishes to you as you continue with this journey. Admitting the problem is the first major step.

7. Philip Wright says:

Get better soon. You are a brave person.

8. Michael says:

There is a lot of talk in these comments from people who don’t know what they’re talking about. 1) “All you have to do is stop.” Some people manage to stop without issue…those people do not tend to be alcoholics. If alcoholics could “just stop”, most would. 2) Anonymity is a matter to be determined by the individual…not AA. Not all recovering alcoholics attend AA, and some alcoholics waive anonymity for a wide range of reasons. I am public about my struggle with alcohol in oder to try and help others with similar struggles. Anonymity belongs to the individual…what AA is saying is that they don’t advertise, and forbids anyone violating someone else’s anonymity. By way of example, someone published a photograph of Robin Williams at an AA meeting…that was absolutely terrible, and a violation of anonymity. 3). I agree Celebrate Recovery is a good program…I volunteer and participate in it, and prefer it to AA. Then again, I’m a Christian and some people prefer AA. What I would say is that alcoholics (and everyone) need Jesus, not a 12-step program. However, if an alcoholic is a non-Christian, recovery itself trumps the means by which it is achieved. Get your addiction and health in order in a way that works. Many alcoholics find God in their recovery, and I pray that God help those who need or seek help.

I wish Ms. Vargas the best, as I do for all who suffer from addiction.

9. Paul says:

She needs Celebrate Recovery, not AA. http://www.celebraterecovery.com/

10. Komit says:

This is another example of a left wing hack in the tank for the liberal propaganda machine parroting the same thing for so long no one either wanted to hear it any more or naturally assumed since it was coming from Gregory’s mouth it had to be preplanted by the DNC.

11. Bill W. says:

So much for Anonymity.

Tradition 11.
    Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films.

Tradition 11 Long Form.
    Our relations with the general public should be characterized by personal anonymity. We think A.A. ought to avoid sensational advertising. Our names and pictures as A.A. members ought not be broadcast, filmed, or publicly printed. Our public relations should be guided by the principle of attraction rather than promotion. There is never need to praise ourselves. We feel it better to let our friends recommend us.

12. God bless her and God help her. She’s a tough woman, and I am a recovering alcoholic myself. I wish the best for her. At least she is smart enough to seek help.

13. gary says:

I think she is brave.

14. JN Branin says:

ABC’s Georgieboy will probably try to blame this on A Right-wing alcohol bug that bit the left-winger as everyone knows it just WAS NOT HER OWN FAULT

15. percy says:

Never heard of Ms. Vargas. Most of these “addicts” just make donkeys (can’t use the A word) of themselves and then make excuses blaming drugs of one kind or another then check into rehab for cover as in “it is not my fault”. One does not need twelve steps or any other ‘treatment”. All they have to do is stop.

16. Doug Deaton says:

It is not unusual for those who are very intelligent and bright to struggle with addictions. As one person told me, I drank to feel “normal.” As we all know, there is no normal, but addicts struggle with a myriad of issues, and it takes time to peel back the layers and get to the bottom of their own personal issue that prompts them to use. And that can be alcohol, food, relationships, sex, etc., etc., etc.

My thoughts and prayers are with Elizabeth, her husband and all of her family, including her ABC family.

17. Best of luck sticking to the 12 steps. You’d be better off using something else. Search for “What Works Hester and Miller” and you’ll find that 12 steps is definitely not for everyone. In fact, it’s suited only to a small percentage of those seeking recovery. People should be made aware of all the choices available to them, and they usually aren’t!

18. Craig Dobson says:

I wonder if she was ever drunk on the air, or if many other ABC employees have been protected as they deceived the public too. Like the problem with the entertainment business; I wonder if Vargas is part of a hidden trend. Like Seymour Hoffman and multiple others, a lot of people believed in a lie for years and years.

19. James Register says:

Best of luck Elizabeth, as we all struggle with some sort of addiction.

• Dana says:

God bless Elizabeth. There is no shame for getting help. Only shame for not getting any. I lost a 25 year old son to addiction. Parents need to be educated on what signs to look for. It is in upper and middle class neighborhoods.

20. MPBinSLC says:

Sorry to read this, but I have to admit that when Elizabeth Vargas first gave her interview following her initial stint in rehab, I thought she seemed somewhat defiant and even arrogant when talking about her struggle with alcohol, and I told myself that she didn’t act like someone who was fully committed to staying “On The Wagon” for the long haul. (I had the exact same feeling about David Arquette when his first interview after rehab featured him saying “I now know that I am an alcoholic, which means I won’t be able to drink again FOR A LONG, LONG TIME!”)

That said, she is clearly intelligent and motivated (witness her career achievements) so I hope she can get her act together eventually…