You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Discovery, BSkyB Lead Bidding for U.K.’s Channel 5: Report

Richard Desmond looks set to get $587 million for the network he bought for $174 million three years ago

LONDON — Speculation is mounting in the U.K. that a £350 million ($587 million) joint bid by cabler Discovery Communications and Rupert Murdoch’s satcaster BSkyB for British free-TV broadcaster Channel 5 is likely to be successful.

A deal was agreed in principle last week, U.K. trade magazine Broadcast claimed Monday. Under that deal, Discovery would take a 70% stake and BSkyB would nab the remaining 30%. BSkyB would add Channel 5’s advertising inventory to its own sales operation.

Channel 5’s owner Northern & Shell denied a deal had been inked. “We have a number of bids as expected, which we will evaluate with our advisers over the next few days. Certainly no deal has been done,” a spokesperson said.

Other bidders are thought to include Viacom and Nordic TV group Modern Times Group. Northern & Shell had initially sought more than £700 million ($1.18 billion) for Channel 5.

Northern & Shell, which is owned by media mogul Richard Desmond, bought Channel 5 from RTL Group for £104 million ($174 million) three years ago, and has embarked on a ruthless cost-cutting exercise. The network airs a broad range of Hollywood series and movies.

More TV

  • 'Star Trek: Discovery': James Frain on

    'Star Trek: Discovery': James Frain on Sarek's 'Sophie's Choice'

    LONDON — Speculation is mounting in the U.K. that a £350 million ($587 million) joint bid by cabler Discovery Communications and Rupert Murdoch’s satcaster BSkyB for British free-TV broadcaster Channel 5 is likely to be successful. A deal was agreed in principle last week, U.K. trade magazine Broadcast claimed Monday. Under that deal, Discovery would […]

  • Joe Lewis Amazon

    Joe Lewis Exits Amazon Studios; Sharon Tal Yguado Takes Over Scripted Series

    LONDON — Speculation is mounting in the U.K. that a £350 million ($587 million) joint bid by cabler Discovery Communications and Rupert Murdoch’s satcaster BSkyB for British free-TV broadcaster Channel 5 is likely to be successful. A deal was agreed in principle last week, U.K. trade magazine Broadcast claimed Monday. Under that deal, Discovery would […]

  • Stranger Things Season 2

    Halloween Costume Ideas 2017

    LONDON — Speculation is mounting in the U.K. that a £350 million ($587 million) joint bid by cabler Discovery Communications and Rupert Murdoch’s satcaster BSkyB for British free-TV broadcaster Channel 5 is likely to be successful. A deal was agreed in principle last week, U.K. trade magazine Broadcast claimed Monday. Under that deal, Discovery would […]

  • Kelly Clarkson

    TV News Roundup: Kelly Clarkson Joins Season 13 of 'The Voice' as Key Adviser

    LONDON — Speculation is mounting in the U.K. that a £350 million ($587 million) joint bid by cabler Discovery Communications and Rupert Murdoch’s satcaster BSkyB for British free-TV broadcaster Channel 5 is likely to be successful. A deal was agreed in principle last week, U.K. trade magazine Broadcast claimed Monday. Under that deal, Discovery would […]

  • Stranger Things Season 2

    'Stranger Things' Season 2 Reviews: What the Critics Are Saying

    LONDON — Speculation is mounting in the U.K. that a £350 million ($587 million) joint bid by cabler Discovery Communications and Rupert Murdoch’s satcaster BSkyB for British free-TV broadcaster Channel 5 is likely to be successful. A deal was agreed in principle last week, U.K. trade magazine Broadcast claimed Monday. Under that deal, Discovery would […]

  • Before Bieber, 'Daydream Believer' Took the

    Before There Was Bieber, the Monkees' 'Daydream Believer' Took the Teen World by Storm

    LONDON — Speculation is mounting in the U.K. that a £350 million ($587 million) joint bid by cabler Discovery Communications and Rupert Murdoch’s satcaster BSkyB for British free-TV broadcaster Channel 5 is likely to be successful. A deal was agreed in principle last week, U.K. trade magazine Broadcast claimed Monday. Under that deal, Discovery would […]

  • ABC Developing Middle Eastern Comedy From

    ABC Developing Middle Eastern Superhero Comedy From Bassem Youssef, Larry Wilmore

    LONDON — Speculation is mounting in the U.K. that a £350 million ($587 million) joint bid by cabler Discovery Communications and Rupert Murdoch’s satcaster BSkyB for British free-TV broadcaster Channel 5 is likely to be successful. A deal was agreed in principle last week, U.K. trade magazine Broadcast claimed Monday. Under that deal, Discovery would […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content