‘Designing Women’ Star Meshach Taylor Dead at 67

Meshach Taylor dead; starred on Designing

Meshach Taylor, best known for playing interior design aide Anthony Bouvier on the hit CBS sitcom “Designing Women” has died of cancer. He was 67.

He died at his home outside of Los Angeles, surrounded by family.

“It is with love and gratitude that we sorrowfully announce that our darling, amazingly brilliant and dynamic, Meshach, the incredible father, husband, son and friend has begun his grand transition,” Taylor’s family said in a statement on his Facebook page. Taylor died Saturday in Altadena, Calif.; he had been suffering from a terminal illness.

Taylor’s agent Dede Binder confirmed his death to Variety.

“When you think of Meshach it will hopefully bring a smile to your face because he brought a lot of joy in his life,” Binder said.

Taylor earned an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series in 1989 for his work on “Designing Women,” a seminal series that ran from 1986 until 1993, and provided a feminist re-interpretation of the South. On the series, Taylor’s character was a wrongly convicted felon who made strides to better his life, eventually attending law school. He was also the foil for Delta Burke’s flamboyant, ex-beauty queen character Suzanne Sugarbaker, often playing straight man to her outlandish schemes.

In addition to “Designing Women,” Taylor was played plastic surgeon Sheldon Baylor on another CBS sitcom “Dave’s World” (1993-97) and played a school principal, on Nickelodeon’s sitcom, “Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide” (2004-07). Earlier in his career, he had a role in the 1980s cult favorite “Buffalo Bill” opposite Dabney Coleman.

1. Chuckie says:

I cannot think of another show where an actor simply appeared on camera and brought me joy as Anthony did on “Designing Women”. Rest in peace, and prayers for your family.

2. Dorothy says:

Taylor was absolutely wonderful in the role of Anthony. I can’t think of anyone else who could have played this part. Designing Women is one of my favorite shows of all time. It made me proud to be a southern woman. May “Anthony” rest in peace.

3. Ted says:

Terribly sad news. I remember him well from Designing Women and Dave’s World, two of the best sitcoms ever. He was obviously well loved and I hope he’s at peace.

4. Ms Diane Longfield says:

I was surprised there was no mention of him being in the movie mannequin. He will be surely missed by me! He always made me smile!! (Y). Prayers go out to his family & friends….RIP

5. M. F. Sibley says:

I recently rediscovered Mr. Taylor on LOGO channel’s lineup of Designing Women. In fact, I had just finished watching an episode when I decided to check my email and saw Variety’s sad news. He was a comedic delight and any show he was in had to know they were in capable hands when he was part of the cast. His timing was impeccable and his dedication to his craft was apparent in every performance he gave. I am sure he will be greatly missed but we were are all better for having known him and the smiles he brought to our faces. My sincerest condolences are extended to his family.

6. wanda lee says:

I’m so sorry to hear he’s passed away, really enjoyed him in Designing Women, and he recently appeared in a couple of Criminal Minds playing a homeless vet who had been Dave’s commander, he was great… I think I’ll look for that to watch tonight, and maybe stop at a few clips of DW along the way.

7. rony says:

The role I remember him for is Hollywood Montrose in the movie Mannequin and it’s sequel. mY condolences to his family.