David Letterman’s Final ‘Late Show’ to Air May 20

The Late Show With David Letterman
Image Courtesy of CBS

David Letterman will host his final “Late Show” on May 20, before departing the desk he’s occupied for 22 years.

“David Letterman has given to all of us a remarkable legacy of achievement and creative brilliance that will never be forgotten,” said Leslie Moonves, president and CEO of CBS Corp. “It’s going to be tough to say goodbye, but I know we will all cherish the shows leading up to Dave’s final broadcast in May.”

Stephen Colbert will take over for Letterman on an as-yet unspecified date in 2015, after airing his final episode of “The Colbert Report” on Dec. 18. Comedy Central will fill Colbert’s slot with “The Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore” beginning Jan. 19. The Colbert-Letterman transition is not the only hosting shuffle on the cards at CBS; Craig Ferguson is departing “The Late Late Show” on Dec. 19, with replacement James Corden making his debut on March 9.

The Late Show With David Letterman” is a production of Worldwide Pants Inc. Barbara Gaines, Matt Roberts, Jude Brennan, Maria Pope and Rob Burnett are the executive producers. Jerry Foley is the director.

1. Lonny Keller says:

Of all the wonderful moments that I have witnessed watching Dave since the early 80’s until 2 in the morning, the one that I loved ( and cried through) was his opening monologue during the first show after the 9/11 attacks. it was moving, passionate, patriotic, bold, and cut through to any American’s heart.
    I will really miss all of the musical acts. Recently I stayed up to watch him bring Al Green back on the show. So happy that Al is getting the recognition he deserved for so long.
    I hope that Dave will guest host when Stephen Colbert goes on vacation.
    Love you Dave, and I miss you already.

Sincerely,
    Lonny Keller
    Bayside, Queens

• Yes, I was very proud of the job he did, it was great. I miss him already too and it just kills me that he is going. My late nights will be lost without him.Letterman was the best after Carson. Did you Lonny know that Johnny would send Dave jokes? All the jokes that Dave told the night Carson died were written by Johnny. Johnny preferred Dave. And I will miss Dave every single night.

2. becky rodriguez says:

dave I have enjoyed you and your show I will deeply miss you and I hope your get this message from becky rodriguez in san Antonio tx love you and yours god bless you

3. John says:

Haters will hate,But I for one have no idea what or how I will get through my night on May 20..At least when Johnny retired,we still had Dave..Now when he leaves there is nothing!!
    Sad thing is there is no “pun, no tongue in cheek” here…………
    Its gonna be a sad night May 20
    I hope Dave’s fans get through this,and I really hope Dave can..I will be worried for him.Retirement is not all its cracked up to be,especially if you enjoy what you do

4. I have loved and watched Dave for 30+ years, I cannot say here how much he means to me, how much I love him and miss him. No one funnier, ( or grouchy;-) I love watching him with guests, and what will I do without the Top 10 list. This really is so damn upsetting. Don’t like Colbert, and Fallon is nice but let’s see him last 30 years with the silly games. Dave was the best, after Carson. Never be replaced. Probably will watch Conan ( wish they would move him to 11:30) or watch Charlie Rose, or read. So sad.

5. Donna Copman says:

I so love and admire David Letterman. Not only is he funny and extremely intelligent, but his take on political problems and politicians are always spot on and wonderful to listen to! He can hold his own with anybody. After Johnny Carson , David, in my opinion , became the king of late night. We will all miss him. He’s a brilliant guy.

6. mark says:

Why can’t David Letterman just end the show when Darlene Love appears on the pre-Christmas broadcast to sing the wonderful Baby,Come Home anthem? He remains unfunny and his legacy will be the NBC years more than this long,slow CBS decline in which he shows a bit more hugging of guests but is still not able to do more humor. He even admitted as much when he announced his retirement last April that he would be phoning in future broadcasts. Nice touch with Al Green singing on Monday.

7. Reblogged this on WARR – We Are Regal Radio and commented:
    Colbert on Comedy Central ends next week as a new era in Late Night begins.

• Donna Copman says:

Humor and what we all find funny is extremely subjective. I suspect that people who don’t ” get” David or his sense of humor are into much more conventional comedians, which, thankfully, David is not!