TNT Cancels ‘Dallas’ After Third Season

dallas

TNT has canceled “Dallas” following its third season, the network announced Friday.

“TNT has decided not to renew ‘Dallas.’ We are extremely proud of the series, which defied expectations by standing as a worthy continuation of the Ewing saga. We want to thank everyone involved with the show, from the extraordinary cast to the impeccable production team, led by the show’s creative forces, Cynthia Cidre and Mike Robin. We especially want to thank the people of Dallas for their warm and generous hospitality during the production of the series,” said a TNT Spokesperson.

The series recently wrapped its third season by killing Jesse Metcalfe’s Christopher Ewing, a shock move that didn’t translate to a ratings bump. The revival debuted to 7 million viewers in 2012 but ratings have dwindled in subsequent years, with the Sept. 22 series finale garnering only 1.7 million viewers. The show was struck a major blow following the death of original “Dallas” star Larry Hagman midway through the second season — although his costars, Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray, remained with the second iteration throughout its run.

1. Annette says:

Please, please, please bring it back. The new series, actors, and plot-lines were absolutely incredible!!

2. Bettyboop65 says:

I really hope that you bring it back, never missed an episode, watched Dallas growing up, and Love the new Dallas, so Please bring it back.

3. John Lambert says:

Has TNT considered doing a movie as a way to tie up loose ends and bring a show like Dallas to a proper ending?

4. I’m so unbelievably disappointed that TNT made this misguided decision to cancel Dallas. Josh Henderson was absolutely delightful to watch as the conniving John Ross. After the unfortunate loss of the inimitable Larry Hagman as J.R. Ewing there was a huge void to fill but I thought that Josh was doing a superb job. In fact, I think that the show was getting better and bigger. They seemed to be on the verge of expanding the size of the home at South Fork so that it was a realistic size for a family of billionaires to be residing in in the year 2014. They had expanded the cast and the storylines as well. The show was really unique in comparison to other shows that are on currently. I was anxiously awaiting it’s return and now I feel completely ripped off. Thanks a lot TNT.

5. chris miller says:

Get us hooked and then leave us hanging! Nice! At least have a followup to close the story.

6. JJ says:

WHAT THE F??? ARE THEY CRAZY

7. Phil Westover says:

After Jock passed away in Dallas first series, it took 2 years before the ratings returned. TNT pulled series to fast. With Cliff, Bobby, and Sue Ellen, they went though this before and this series could have been saved as well.

8. lladymomma says:

I’m so disappointed in TNT’s cancellation of Dallas.

9. Kim says:

I really enjoyed the Dallas show and wish that TNT would reconsider how upsetting and disaapointing viewers are and will be. I watched Dallas years ago when I was much younger and couldn’t wait for each new season to start here just recently. This it sad news, just as Larry Hagman’s death, but it fit right in the story line.

10. Marilyn says:

Bring it back I did not miss any show of dallas I also watched the original one

11. Swhite says:

So wrong!!!! My husband and I have watched every episode. Bring it back.

12. carol himes says:

Put Dallas back on I have loved that show and other people do to and would like to seecit back on. TNT

13. the junkyard dog says:

what the heck are they thinking at TNT what a great show,, we drive a truck and would take a motel with TNT so we could watch it,, hope some other network takes it back like CBS Just to stick it back at TNT

14. Cassandra Petes says:

This is crazy!!!!! one of the best shows on TV. Looked forward to watching it and watching the reruns during the same week since they were packed with differing storylines each week. Now, what does the general public watch on TV? Nothing good. What a MISTAKE to remove such a great show. Too many storylines not completed. Think again and rethink it until Dallas is re-established on TV through TNT or another network.
    Suggestions:
    1. Tie both shows together more. Sure you brought back specials appearances and storylines from the original. Probably more could be developed.
    2. A movie or miniseries to conclude and end the story. Did the fiery explosion really kill anyone, or just an illusion? Think outside the box! You can dream it up for the fans who loved this show. What is wrong with the writing team or the network to mess up GOOD TV.

15. TechFan says:

I’ve watched every episode of the original and every episode of the new series, which was more of a reimagining than a continuation. I won’t miss it. Unlike the original, there was no humor, unbelievable plot developments, and characters who changed allegiances weekly. Actors like Audrey Landers, Steve Kanaly, and especially Ken Kercheval were underused and yet that’s probably just as well considering how this turned out. To those who liked the new series, sorry but c’est la vie in the TV bidness when you’re not pulling in the eyeballs. Bottom line–it should have been done more like the original.

16. snibaker says:

My husband and I were wondering when season 4 of this great show was going to start and then I just found out it had been cancelled. What?????????? Are these people crazy? Best show on tv. What is wrong with TNT? Had been worried that Larry Hagman’s death would hurt the show, but it just got better and better. Couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen week to week. Some of these stupid reality shows go on and on and a great show like “Dallas” gets cancelled. Where’s the sense in that?

• Granisu says:

If we, as an audience, are not “good enough” for prime time, then let’s delete one of the sorry talk shows once a week….and watch Dallas in the daytime!

17. shelia hall says:

TNT you suck.

18. Chris Lewis says:

I am disappointed that the show was canceled

. I was looking forward to more

19. Sadaboutdallas says:

Please bring Dallas back! This was a great show and fun to watch.

20. Andrew Stockman says:

Can’t believe its been cancelled, if 1.7 million people is not enough then what is?? One of the best shows on TV! TNT is mad to cancel it, I prey another network picks it up as its a quality show, was getting hot towards the end

21. Paul Walden says:

I live in the UK and have loved this series, for it to finish in such a way is stupid, why can it not just continue and conclude in a normal sensible way with everyone having a cuddle……even John Ross 😊

22. tishac says:

Bring it Back watched season 1&2,on Netflix and was hooked. Watched season 3 on tnt. A channel I don’t watch & now it’s cancelled!!! Well if not you than hopefully ABC will pick it up!!! They’ve got an awesome lineup. They know good tv when they got it!!!

23. Ashley says:

This sucks. I’m only 24 so of course the beginning of Dallas I knew nothing about but this open up a time for my parents and myself got to sit down and watch something old but missed to them but new and now missed to me. I was chance for me to live in their childhood and see the things they enjoyed while earning a host of memories and quality time I’ll never forget.

24. Gerard McGovern says:

BRING IT BACK FFS……….!!!!!!!!!

25. "Fluff" says:

Such a shame to cancel a good show like Dallas. Sure, older viewers enjoy it – but we also still control a lot of the cash these younger ones spend out there. Cater to the boomers instead of putting on more of these silly reality shows.

26. JR's Legacy... says:

F*CKING INSANE to cancel a REAL, quality show like “Dallas.” NO SEASON 4?!? WHAT the F*CK is WRONG with you network people? What kind of effing SH*T do you at TNT and like networks try to develop and shove up people’s rears and onto the air? Pathetic.

Poor, poor old Teddy Turner. He’s taken his turn…and been turned out to pasture by the TNT Board Members, no longer in charge of his own company! Very, very sad, man. Shows how you can have billions and billions of dollars and still have little or no power whatsoever. If this guy saw an Alfred Hitchcock-type master of screenwriting nowadays, do you think he’d recognize him, snap his fingers and create a job for him ON THE SPOT like anyone with half a brain would? Nope. Not Tedster. He WOULDN’T because he CAN’T. He can’t utilize such POWER because HE DOESN’T HAVE ANY (or GUTS for that matter, either). On the other hand, anyone with the money can give away a billion dollars to the UN – there’ll always be people glad to take a fool’s funds (and talk about the “good, humanitarian work” that’s getting done around the world as a result…[yeah, right] ).

Oh well. The valiant gave it a go. Here’s to the “Brave New World Order.” :-\

27. Shauna says:

Next to Survivor, Dallas was the only show I followed. I can’t believe that Dallas is cancelling and ‘Under the Dome’ got another season!
    I only have Direct TV so I can get TNT and DALLAS

28. HOTMAD says:

Dallas was just coming into its best since JRs death. Get it back on!! Some watch it religiously!! The writers were fantastic and took the death of Larry Hagman to the next generation. COME ON!

29. Gary Girouard says:

Are you crazy???? Cancel Dallas???? Why don’t you fire upper management, as they seem to cancel all the great shows!!! Come on Fox, pick this up on prime time!!!

30. P Brown says:

Longmire and now Dallas!!!! Geez us “older” people like TV too. I’m 54 and sorry I can’t get into a lot of the Zombie and dead crap on a lot of the channels.

31. Wendy says:

Please bring Dallas back. It was the only show I watched! It had a wonderful cast and the storyline had so much potential! ,

32. rosemary says:

Do not cancel really enjoy the show

33. Katie Moore says:

TNT you are nuts. Dallas was the only show I watched on your network. You have lost another viewer.

34. Jason says:

Bring this show back asap!

35. penelope says:

Dallas is better now than back in the ’70’s ! There MUST be a season 4! How else are we going to find out who the father of Elena’s baby is !! Please — will another network pick this show up ?! Millions of people want this show back ASAP

36. John says:

Without Dallas TNT is nothing! I will not be watching anything on there anymore. They have to be out of their minds!!

37. Please don’t cancel I watch this show ever Monday Dallas over Monday night Foot ball .And I love Football.please see it in your hearts to save Dallas .

38. Dwight Clark says:

WHAT THE HELL IS TNT THINK’N? HOW DARE THEY CUT A SERIES SHORT, WITHOUT A COMPLETE ENDING, AND/OR, A CLIFHANGER-TYPE MOVIE TO COMPLETELY END THE TN SERIES WITH. MAYBE, WITH A POSSIBLE EPIC ENDER-TYPE MOVIE SERIES(A 5 PART SERIES TO FINALLY END THE SERIES.

THE INDIUVIDUALS @ TNT ARE NOTHING BUT IDIOTS. U LEFT CLIFF STILL IN A MEXICAN PRISON, THE OTHER LADY CHARACTERS UNMARRIED, WHAT’S HIS NAME’S DAUGHTER, STILL @ ODDS, W/THE EWING FAMILY, PAN DECIDING ON WHETHER TO GET CLIFF OUT OF PRISON, OR TO LEAVER HIM THERE?

WHAT TYPE OF TV SHOW ARE THEY GONNA PUT HERE IN THYE PLACE OF DALLAS? ANOTHER COP SHOW OF SPOME KIND, OR. SOME KINDA BORING TV SHOW THAT ISN’T WORTH WATCH’N?

i HAVE AN IDEA, WHY DOESN’T TNT COMBINE SOME OF THEIR SHOWS W/OTHER NETWORKS?
    (EXAMPLE: WHY NOT COMBINE THE DALLAS TV SHOW TO A DIFFERENT NETWORK, LIKE MAYBE TV LAND, OR THE E! NETWORK, THIS TAKING OF SOME OF THE BORING SHOWS OFF THEIR NETWORKS LIKE THE A & E NETWORK THAT ARE ALREADY ON THERE NOW?

39. Keith says:

Dallas was a wonderful show, it was the only reason I watched TNT I looked forward week after week for each episode and never wanted the season to end. I think TNT is foolish for cancelling this show. I know I will not be watching any other programs on your network.
    I was so looking forward to season 4. TNT needs to think of the viewers and not the bottom line of the ratings. I hate that this show is gone, it was one of the only good programs on T.V.

40. Carol Renner says:

TNT is all wrong. Even after the death of JR Ewing it was the main thing on my mind and also minds of a lot of other family members and friends as well. I received phone calls after each episode to discuss how great the show was from week to week. JR was missed, of course, but the show could never have been a WINNER without all the other actors involved. I no longer have any reason to watch TNT. It sucks.

41. Vanessa says:

i love Dallas. TNT sucks Dallas only reason I watch the network. They could keep going on and on with that show disappointed

42. I agree no reason to watch TNt

43. rachel says:

no reason to watch tnt now

44. Jeri says:

Dallas ROCKS! Keep this good show and get rid of some of the garbage shows! I started watching it years ago with my Mother when it first started! And I have continued to be a fan! Hate to see all the good shows leave! I was really surprised when Americas Most Wanted was taken off! Really? All the shows out for kids to watch these days are Vampires, Zombies, Murder, And Violence! I don’t get it.

45. Holea Stroud says:

I dont understand tv anymore…. good shows arent given a chance and bad shows just go on and on.,.. Dallas was awesome, and its gone…. but Honey boo boo remains. The world is wrecked. Really disappointed in this news TNT…

46. Joe says:

This is one of the only shows I couldn’t wait until the next week to come. It had twists and turns that made you stay what could be next.The actors were just terrific. BRING this show back.

47. melisa says:

The new Dallas needs to stay on the air. It is the BEST show on television. Without it, I no longer have any need for that network.

48. Andy says:

We need to get Dallas back! That cliffhanger was amazing and the series is rolling. Can’t stop it now! #SaveDallas #EwingsUnite

49. John says:

Give this show the proper ending it deserves! At least one more season to allow for some closure to the most historic television show still in production! #SAVEDALLAS

50. Daniel says:

I was disappointed on the cancelation. This was great drama. It deserves another chance. I knew this year was going to be a make it or break it year, and they gave it their all. I just think they should be rewarded for taking those chances they did this past year. Perhaps a few more familiar characters/ actors could spice things up, perhaps even a return to network tv. Just give them one more chance. #savedallas