Craig Ferguson Congratulates ‘Lovely’ Stephen Colbert on ‘Late Show’ Gig

Craig Ferguson
Jason Merritt/Getty Images

Craig Ferguson dispenses with the elephant in the room at the start of tonight’s edition of “The Late Late Show” by acknowledging Stephen Colbert’s new gig as “Late Show” host. He addresses the matter head on at the start of his cold open.

“First of all, before we begin tonight, may I congratulate the lovely Stephen Colbert on getting ‘The Late Show.’ Isn’t that lovely? Congratulations Stephen! A fine addition to the CBS cavalcade of stars,” Ferguson says, according to a transcript from CBS.

With Colbert set as David Letterman’s successor, the focus of latenight watchers turns to Ferguson’s next move. It’s not immediately clear if he hopes to stay in the 12:35 a.m. slot now that “Late Show” is set to pass to Colbert. Reps for Ferguson declined comment Thursday.

Earlier in the day, Ferguson shared a similar sentiment on Twitter:

1. Jeannie says:

Kathy said it well. Craig Ferguson, YOU will be missed!

2. I am so upset about Ferguson leaving the show. CBS should really think this over. Craig is my very favorite and I so look forward to seeing him every night when I go to bed. I love, love his humor and the horse and gay robot. Craig I will miss you dearly and no one can replace you on that show and have the show be any where near as good as it is with Craig. Oh, did I tell you I am very upset.

3. treven says:

good man. I love craig ferguson, so its hard to say he wouldn’t be good as lettermans succesor.. craig even thinks so lol. He would have to change up his entire image.. tend to a somewhat younger demo, be more sparky and less dull (dull being used in somehow a positive light). He wouldn’t be able to be his unique self. I heard they’re planning on booting ferg all together. I’m not suprised since the networks probably saw his show as a burden. Since they don’t have little twitter reads and all the social media b.s to tend to brainless america. Just good ol’ dull craig ferguson. I swear.. watch the disgusting turn t.v will make in the coming years. it will be like tmz took over every media outlet. (If it doesn’t seem so already)

4. Brent says:

Apparently, since Letterman got screwed in the Johnny Carson replacement chase (Johnny DID NOT have meaningful input in choosing his successor – and he wanted Dave), Letterman had it put into his CBS contract that he had the right to either choose Ferguson or CBS would have to pay a $12 MILLION dollar forfeit to Craig if they chose somebody else. Not clear if Craig gets the money AND keeps his show.

I heard this from someone in CBS corporate, but I cannot 100% verify that it’s true. It would be great if Craig gets a bonus for not getting a job he doesn’t seem to especially want; less great if it means him walking away from the show. That would SUCK.

5. Brent says:

Craig Ferguson has the most consistently funny show on television. He is also one of the smartest guys out there. It would be a serious mistake for CBS to try and put some other lesser, younger talent in there.

I, for one, would be GONE – and I’ve not missed a single show since he started.

I will be interested to see how Colbert transforms himself. He is a very talented man, but I find him a little tedious sometimes. I think Jon Stewart would’ve been a more solid choice, but I’m happy: I love the Daily Show and didn’t want to see it disrupted. Here’s hoping John Oliver takes over the Repot slot next year.

“@Midnight” is also a terrific show – much better than I anticipated it would be.

Finally…”The Neighbors” is a TERRIFIC show and ABC should renew it without fail!!!!!

6. Maha says:

Class act as always, Mr Ferguson.
    Also, the job was his to leave. Craig has said quite a few times in the past that he has no wish to do a show in the earlier timeslot, it would involve adapting his risque approach and manner of show according to earlier audiences.

• Suzette says:

Craig is easily the best interviewer of the lot including Dave Letterman. But he is also his own man and has stated that he would not sacrifice his talent and his ideas for a standard program. Thank goodness, as Craig is the most intelligent late night comic and we need him just as he is..robot and all. By the way, Geoff Peterson is the best side-kick on the air. CBS has a gold mine with Craig, hope they know it

7. dewlove says:

Isn’t it just a bit ironic that upon Dave’s retirement the man who has followed him for years at 12:30 is passed over?

• You’re assuming he was passed over rather than declined.

• Joe says:

It’s not ironic at all. It’s actually quite common. It’s like when Leno got Carson’s job instead of the man who followed Carson for years, David Letterman.

• Rob says:

Who told you Letterman hired Ferguson to replace him??? Craig is doing great in the time slot he is in at the moment

• NoSpin says:

except Craig was hired by Letterman himself to become his successor once he ended up retiring. The choice of Colbert was not that of Letterman, but that of the CBS CEO.