‘Community’ to Return for New Season on Yahoo

School’s not out yet, “Community” fans.

On Monday, Sony Pictures Television announced that the cult comedy would be resurrected for a sixth season this fall on Yahoo.

The 13 new episodes, featuring original cast members of the canceled NBC series, will be available exclusively on Yahoo Screen, an ad-supported video platform that is free to users.

SEE ALSO: TV Shows That Found New Life on Another Network

Dan Harmon, who created “Community,” will exec produce the new episodes.

“I am very pleased that ‘Community’ will be returning for its predestined sixth season on Yahoo,” Harmon said in a statement. “I look forward to bringing our beloved NBC sitcom to a larger audience by moving it online. I vow to dominate our new competition. Rest easy, ‘Big Bang Theory.’ Look out, Bang Bus!”

The news brings the series closer to its goal of #sixseasonsandamovie, a social media campaign fans backed to bring the show back after NBC cancelled it in March.

Joel McHale, who stars in the series, added: “‘The reports of our cancellation have been greatly exaggerated.’ —Mark Twain (The other version of this quote has been wrong for years). #SixSeasonsAndaMovie is real. Thank you Sony. Thank you Yahoo. Thank you Dan Harmon. And thank you to the greatest f%$#ing fans in the history of the human race. It’s the internet. We can swear now.”

Along with Harmon, Russ Krasnoff (“The Soloist”) also serves as executive producer, along with Gary Foster (“Sleepless in Seattle”) and Chris McKenna (“The Mindy Project”).

Despite struggling ratings, “Community” stayed afloat for five seasons thanks to the show’s loyal fan base. When NBC did cancel the show, fans immediately launched a social media campaign urging Netflix to pick up the show. Netflix, however, denied rumors that they were in negotiations with Sony, the show’s producer, to pick it up.

For his part, Harmon wrote a blog post earlier this year admitting that he was “in the ‘eh’ column” when Sony first asked him about pursuing the show going elsewhere, but would become more enthusiastic with time.

“‘Community’ has an incredibly passionate and loyal fan base who have fought hard to keep this amazing show alive,” said Kathy Savitt, CMO of Yahoo. “We couldn’t be more excited to work with Dan, Joel, and the entire cast, as well as Sony, to deliver a great season 6.”

Zack Van Amburg, president of programming and production for Sony Pictures TV, said “The fans spoke and we listened. Thanks to Yahoo, and the amazing team that makes ‘Community’ great, we’ve avoided the Darkest Timeline yet again and plan to deliver a fantastic season.”

Added Jamie Erlicht, president of programming and production, “You can’t get to six seasons and a movie without a 6th season. Yahoo is the perfect home for the continuation of this journey.”

While Yahoo was seemingly the only digital content player not mentioned as a possible new home for “Community” after much speculation about the likes of Netflix or Hulu stepping in, the move is not totally out of left field.

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer has been steering the tech giant further in the direction of original programming, having already announced at its so-called “newfront” presentation in May the order of its first two full-length original series.

Paul Feig, the writer-producer behind NBC’s critically acclaimed but short-lived “Freaks & Geeks” and director of hit theatrical “Bridesmaids,” will exec produce “Other Space,” eight half-hour episodes chronicling a misfit group of space adventurers who stumble upon an alternate universe.

Mike Tollin, executive producer of the WB hit series “Smallville” and “One Tree Hill,” is teaming with TV director Bryan Gordon (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”) for eight half-hour episodes of “Sin City Saints,” which follows the exploits of a Las Vegas-based pro basketball expansion team.

Savitt had indicated there would likely be a few more series orders made but didn’t specify which ones. It’s unknown whether “Community” was in the cards at the time given NBC hadn’t yet made the decision to forego another season.

But with a known quantity like “Community” in tow, Yahoo is boosting its presence in a game that is already attracting more digital original programmers from Amazon to Microsoft XBox.

Comedy is also a natural extension for Yahoo considering it has dabbled in original programming before with the breakout short-form program “Burning Love,” which graduated to TV with a three-season run on E!, and a library of comedy clips from the library of “Saturday Night Live.”

Getting a broadcast sitcom to continue its run online marks the boldest attempt yet by Yahoo to make a dent in the entertainment business after years of flirtation that reach back a decade, when Terry Semel and Lloyd Braun futilely attempted to inject some showbiz DNA into a company once known previously only for search.

“Community” isn’t exactly the first property Mayer lured over from linear TV. Broadcast veteran Katie Couric was also drafted to serve as “global news anchor” on Yahoo.

“Community” also isn’t the first show to be saved by a digital platform after being canceled on broadcast TV. “Arrested Development” blazed that trail last year, when Netflix picked the deceased sitcom up for a fourth season. It ran on Fox for three seasons in 2003-2006 and, like “Community,” was canceled because of its low ratings despite a cult following.

The first five seasons of “Community” currently stream on Hulu.

1. herif says:

Its important for ‘community’ To know that there actors are using so much makeup that make the series a little impersonal

2. yahoo says:

Highly descriptive article, I enjoyed that a
    lot. Will there be a part 2?

3. uptoolate says:

“Look out Netflix”? This show, with the exception of a FEW limited good ones, has been terrible since season one. The smartest thing Netflix has ever done! This BS is why I don’t use Yahoo any more.

4. James says:

ok how did you guys do this? lol (if anything, im involved in a group trying to get a different show relocated and if the fans did something to make this happen it would help us to know)

5. baggles_r_good says:

Yes! Finally Yahoo does something right.

Community is a great show and it’s a shame some people don’t understand why it is so hilarious. It is basically a grown up version of the cartoons we watched on Saturday mornings, but with real people, and better writing. It is a smartly written show and I really feel for those who don’t “get it”.

Shows shouldn’t need a laugh track to tell you what is funny.

6. bshea85 says:

I’m just glad Dan Harmon’s back on board. The show really went downhill after he left.

7. btglifestyle says:

Reblogged this on btg lifestyle and commented:
    Quite simply: Six seasons and a movie.

8. ManFromGlad says:

Glad it’s back. Because it’s not on network television, maybe we could see “more” of Britta and Annie?

9. Jim says:

I always liked “Community” but it was always a lot more clever than funny. So I sat there admiring it, but not laughing a whole lot.

10. Mr Furious says:

Great. They’ve just taught the absolutely insane Cult of Community that they can have everything they want if they whine and complain and throw a big enough hissy fit. Well done. As if the Millennial brats weren’t spoiled and self-entitled enough. Now, every single time a show gets cancelled, the internet will erupt in a massive fit as a small handful of devoted fanatics explode in a massive outcry of footstomping and whining. ‘Community’ hasn’t been good in years and it deserved to be cancelled.

• kidris90 says:

This troll is at it again. He did the same thing on IMDb. He seems obsessed with a show he claims to dislike.

• Sorry that someone somewhere actually spoke up to defend a show that they’re passionate about and connect with.

Every time a show that people enjoy is canceled, there is an outcry. Always has been and always will be because HUMANS. It’s lazy to pin this on millennials, but I guess you needed SOMETHING to complain about today.

Seriously though, what is one form of artistic expression that you really enjoy? Wouldn’t you want to defend it if it were possible? Especially if you could make a difference, like the fans clearly did here?

11. life5678 says:

Yuck, there are much better shows they could have gone with like Revolution. But then Yahoo is a ‘Community’ kind of place.

12. I KNEW Community would be back. What I did NOT know is that there’s still a Yahoo!

13. Clark says:

YYYYYYEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

14. Blind Jasper says:

So much HAPPY!

15. The show sucks, as does Yahoo. It should’ve died years ago.

16. Rosemary says:

I really really still miss The Glades. How they could cancel a show after a cliff-hanger is beyond me. After being so invested in the show, that feels like a slap in the face.

17. Vasco DeGama says:

I still miss American Gothic.

18. Donald Glover. Please, for the love of god, return for this last season.

19. sailordude says:

I had to stop watching after I forgot when my birthday was. Luckily, the dumbing down effect was temporary after a month of not watching this junk.

20. Carlos T. Jackal says:

Never heard of the glades, so I don’t care. What is it; a show about air fresheners?
    But great news about Community! Hopefully they can get Donald Glover to come back once or twice, too. And now that they’re on the internet, I’m assuming we’ll get some good nude scenes from Alison Brie and Gillian Jacobs.

21. eastbay says:

Remember when a tv ‘season’ used to be 39 weeks long?

Now a ‘season’ is 13 weeks plus three sets of the same reruns.

22. I B Phreakin says:

Love it. I’ll have to find out what Yahoo! is. I won’t miss it.

23. Babs says:

Hip hip hooray! Community is a gem that continually gets overlooked. The writing is sharp and the actors hit their marks like the pros they are. Thank you Yahoo for all that you dooooo!

24. eric says:

We can rest easy now that the planet wasn’t decimated by a meteorite.

25. Ashley says:

YAAAAAAAY!!!!!

26. Pooba says:

Community sucks worse than Yahoo. Too bad Yahoo Mayer didnt sleep through the meeting to acquire Community.

27. Spencer H says:

yahoo!

28. Author 1.0 says:

Reblogged this on blogtoendallblogsdotcom and commented:
    I won’t lie, when I heard negotiations with Hulu had fallen through, I had pretty much lost any hope that Community would be revived, and then, at the very last minute, a miracle.

#SixSeasonsAndAMovie indeed.

29. Nix says:

We cannot be stopped. It’s all coming up Community.

30. AS says:

This is absolutely the best news ever…I’m elated 😂. #Sixseasonsandmovie actually started sometime during season 3, I believe.

31. Data1001 says:

I would have been far more excited for this had I not watched the horrific 4th season, and 2 episodes of the (only slightly better) 5th season. I’d rather see a show canceled too soon than overstay its welcome by a year or more.

• Mr Furious says:

Same here. I put up with the fourth season because I had hoped that it would that the show would do the sensible thing and end with the group’s graduation and that would be the finale. Not only was it not the finale, but the group didn’t even graduate. I had no desire to watch the fifth season, but they put it with ‘Parks and Rec’, which was pretty ironic since I had been wanting that to happen for years and then they did it after I didn’t care anymore, so I watch the two premier episodes which were some of the dumbest crap I’d ever seen in my life. Of course, the Cult of Community loved them simply because their Lord and Savior Dan Harmon had returned, but the fact that the group would re-enroll in college just to hang out with Jeff was insultingly stupid and that was it for me. I adore the first two seasons of ‘Community’ and in retrospect, I wish the show had been cancelled after them.

• Exactly! Just hanging out and milking this cow for more than it’s worth has killed the show through and through. Now I’ll have a hard time revisiting what I actually did like, because they’ve shat upon it.

32. Sonia Woolf says:

How about the glades?

33. Mianya says:

Please bring back the glades! Ending was not fair. ! please!!!

34. Kassie says:

Awesome!! Please bring back the glades season 6!!! It was an amazing series my favorite and can’t end like that!!!

35. Jenny says:

I would like to see The Glades return as well. A real ending needs to happen for this show and its fans. We really want the Glades back. Maybe Yahoo can follow suit and give us the Glades, like it did for Community.

36. Lexi Frunzi says:

I’m happy this show was brought back for its fans. Please bring back The Glades for its fans including myself who need a ending to an amazing show. They left us on a cliff hanger that needs many answers from. Bring back the Glades.

37. Dana Scopano says:

I agree about bringing back The Glades. It was the best cop series on T.V. It amazes me that we keep crap shows on the air that don’t have near the following as The Glades, and yet it cut with no real ending. Bring back The Glades, please, please, please

38. Nicky says:

Bring the glade back alo it a excellent how that A&E cancelled and it had great rating

39. JIM says:

EVERYBODY INVOLVED WITH COMMUNITY WILL BE SUED, KILLED, AND ERASED FOR STEALING MY WORK!!!!!! YOU WILL ALL PAY IN THIS LIFE AND THE NEXT!!!!!!

40. Kay Luker says:

That is all well and good for this show, but what about another good show that was dumped by A&E, The Glades, would really like to see it brought back too. It’s a great show, with a good cast, and good ratings, The Glades should still be on.