Christina Hendricks Gives White House Summit a ‘Mad Men’ Moment

Christina Hendricks White House Summit
Donato Sardella/Getty Images

Christina Hendricks spoke at the White House Summit on Working Families on Monday, delivering brief remarks on how current policies for women need to be updated from the “Mad Men” era.

Hendricks, who plays Joan Harris on the show, said that “in the 21st Century, the only place for a story like Joan’s should be on TV.”

She cited President Obama’s remark that “our current policies seem to be from the ‘Mad Men’ era,” or equal pay for equal work. Obama made the reference to the show in his State of the Union Address this year.

“It is time for that story to go the way of the rotary phone and the typewriter,” Harris told the crowd at the Omni Shoreham Hotel.

Hendricks at first teased the audience, pretending to be ready to reveal the ending of season 7 of the show before getting an alert in her earpiece from “the president…of AMC.”

The summit is hosted by the Center for American Progress, the Department of Labor and the White House Council on Women and Girls. President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama are among those scheduled to speak, as well as Maria Shriver and BET CEO Debra Lee.

1. Chuck Corder says:

“… and the typewriter,” Harris told the crowd at the Omni Shoreham Hotel.
    Guys, it’s her character. Hendricks could care less about women’s rights.

2. This is as bad as Jessica Lange appearing before a hearing to tell us how bad things are for farmers. She played a farmer in a movie, that’s her qualification for this? Can’t we just ask Hollywood types to zip their lips? Stick to acting. The large boobed Christina wasn’t even alive during the Mad Men era. Jeeze.

3. juliorx1@hotmail.com says:

She is an actress. Super Rich and lives in her own world.
    Give me a break. This is stupid.

4. ertdfg says:

Who better to speak on the plight of the working family woman with children than someone who plays a working mother with children on TV?

Nobody. Actors = experts.

And this poor starving actress is clearly the best person to speak on the plight of underpaid women.. Why she barely takes in $100,000 per episode and is only worth a paltry 8 mil or so…

Was I supposed to pretend this was serious and rational?

If you want to talk “equal pay for equal work” and figure in equal hours and equal job… you get about 97% equality… and some jobs favor women, some men.

But this is a totally serious issues that should trump everything else? Laughable.

5. Jared Nelson says:

Oh, Lordy. Et tu, Christina? From my favorite show? ?

Yet another case where the good Lord asked, “Ok, my dear, what would rather have, bosoms or brains?”

• Matt says:

Does the fact she plays a someone on TV somehow change the fact employers should accommodate pregnant women so they can continue working? You just attack who she is, but steer around the facts. We are one of only three industrialized nations who don’t offer paid medical leave for new mothers or to care for a sick family member. Why don’t address that in your comments???

• C. Lunceford says:

I have 6 children, and all my employers were sympathetic to my circumstance. I did not expect special treatment just because I was pregnant. I continued to work until about a week before I delivered and I used my accrued vacation and or sick leave while I was out. Pregnancy is a natural condition and a choice, not an illness, disease or disability. I understand some women have a tougher time than others with pregnancy, but that is NOT the employers responsibility. It an employer wants to go above and beyond, It should be their choice, not a government mandate! Sheesh, can we all just get off the ENTITLEMENT train!