Chelsea Handler to Leave E! Talk Show in Late August

Chelsea Handler TCA
Joe Scarnici/WireImage

Chelsea Handler will end her longrunning latenight talk show on E! on August 26, leaving the timeslot without a female-led talkshow for the first time in seven years.

Chelsea Lately” will continue to run original episodes until its finale, which will take place in a live hourlong program rather than the show’s customary 30 minutes. E!, which has run the show since July 16, 2007, said the last month of the program would feature special guests and special episodes. Starting August 27, an updated version of E! News will air in the network’s 11 p.m. timeslot.

The two sides will part months before they were expected to do so. Handler’s latest contract was supposed to have her working for E! until the end of 2014. In recent months, however, she has been increasingly vocal about her desire to leave the program and the network behind.

“I myself am more surprised than anyone that I was able to hold down a job for seven years, and it was a fantastic seven years,” said Handler in a prepared statement. “I will always look back at my time on E! as most people look back at their time in college. I’m glad I went.” A spokesman for the comedienne, Stephen Huvane, said she had no comment beyond that.

“We are very proud of ‘Chelsea Lately’s’ long-running success and the unique space that the series carved out in latenight television,” said Suzanne Kolb, president of the network, in a statement. “Chelsea brought a distinct voice to latenight with her acerbic wit and fearless commentary, and we look forward to providing fans with a memorable sendoff that lives up to that tradition. Most of all, we are grateful to the ‘Chelsea Lately’ team for making this show so special for seven years.”

Handler’s departure means the network loses a signature program. E! is dabbling in new scripted fare and has signed its veteran news correspondent Giuliana Rancic to a new multiyear deal, but ad buyers believe the network needs to broaden beyond its heavy dependence on programs related to the Kardashian family.

The halt of “Chelsea Lately” opens another front in a daypart that has been in extreme flux since David Letterman announced earlier this year that he would leave CBS’ “Late Show” sometime next year. Craig Ferguson, who followed Letterman, will also leave his perch on “The Late Late Show.” CBS has yet to announce a replacement. E! is in active development on latenight projects that fit within its brand, according to a person familiar with the matter, and plans to launch a new latenight series next year.

1. Dear Chelsea, You got your side of the story out there, now STOP talking about Butterface Heather and giving that trick more publicity. Next time someone asks, say “Heather Who” and start talking about something else. This trick is just using your name because no one cares about her.

2. Dana says:

I don’t know what else there is to watch on E! Not the Kardashians!

3. nan penwak says:

I am really sorry she’s leaving, loved her show.. Now there will be nobody good to watch that late at night.. So sorry

4. Susan C. says:

I hope they DO NOT put G. Rancic or Maria M. in any new series. These two are the
    most annoying women on T.V.

5. OH NO!! Where will Chuy go?? I have adored this show! It will be so missed! Good Luck to all of you, and thank you for filling my night time hours! :(

6. Lisa Reeves Hinson says:

Sad to hear it’s ending…i love Chelsea and the round table …..have watched since day 1 and have read all their books….its always good to have a laugh or two before bed…can’t wait to see what she does next.

7. Dana says:

NOOOOOO! She can’t leave! Where will I get my Chelsea fix!?! I love the round table. I love the goofy spoofs they do! I don’t think that she is snarky. I think she just says it as she feels it! She would often have the people that she “razzed” on for her interviews! I’m sure other Networks will want her, but I think she may just want to do a few appearances and do her own thing! She’s got the money now to do so!

8. Phyllis M. says:

She’s not funny and all she ever does is talk about people. Its sad that she held a platform this long just to dog walk people she didn’t like. I’m glad she’s gone and I hope she’ll never return to television.

• Dana says:

There is a thing called a remote control where you can change the channel. The whole basis of the show was the round table discussing current pop culture events. As I said, most of the people that she would discuss were the interviewees!

9. Jay says:

I’ve no doubt Chelsea will end up doing something new and interesting, as she’s quite savvy and very creative. However, I think the formula they came up with on “Lately” will be quite difficult to repeat. It hits just the right notes and the chemistry with all the writers/panelists is very special. In the tradition of the brilliant Carol Burnett Show from the 70’s, “Chelsea Lately” is really more of an ensemble show in which she relies heavily on all the talented people around her to make the whole thing come off so well. It is deceptively simple and seemingly slapdash. In reality, it’s anything but. Yes, she has always been the center and undoubtedly the star. But that show wouldn’t work the way it does w/o all the supporting players, each of whom has been developed to enhance and complement the proceedings.
    I certainly wish her well and will anxiously await her next endeavor. I’m an ardent fan and will be watching from Day One, whatever it is.

10. curtis says:

will really miss watching her show every night twice sometimes even at 1:00 lol really big fan no one can ever be like chelsea and pull it of love you girl the only show on e worth watching wish you werent going you wil be missed

11. jill swift says:

that saddens me, I for one Love Chelsey and her show. I will continue to watch for her up coming events!!!!

12. JC says:

Maybe the idea was for Maria Menounos to have some sort of late night presence

13. R.l. Procter says:

Will really miss her show! also….it is “contract” not contact….but I don’t work for Variety so may not matter

14. ravengirl57 says:

Normally, I like snark. But I didn’t like her snark. I did think she was a great interviewer, though.

• CK says:

I didn’t interpret Chelsea’s comment as snarky. It seemed straight forward to me that she was referencing her desire to move ahead with her career.

15. F S N says:

Reblogged this on Global News Now.

16. Leslie says:

Her humor and intelligence made her a standout in the “late night talk” circuit. To see a woman hosting such an enjoyable, well written show was a contrast to the male dominated arena. Her show will be missed by me. I hope Chuy has a new gig where he can land!