CBS Renews ‘Mentalist,’ Cancels ‘Crazy Ones,’ ‘Hostages,’ ‘Intelligence’ & 2 More

'Crazy Ones' Cancelled

CBS has given a seventh-season renewal to drama “The Mentalist” while dropping the ax on five first-year shows: “The Crazy Ones,” “Hostages,” “Intelligence,” “Friends with Better Lives” and “Bad Teacher.”

“Mentalist” (pictured) renewal went down to the wire as CBS wanted to survey its drama pilot options before making a call on the Warner Bros. TV procedural starring Simon Baker. The series has been a steady performer in the Sunday 10 p.m. time slot during the past two seasons, averaging about 12.5 million viewers and 2.0 rating in adults 18-49 for the season to date in live-plus-7 ratings.

“The Crazy Ones” was a big swing at a single-camera comedy for CBS, with prominent auspices in David E. Kelley and stars Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar. The 20th Century Fox TV show had the tough assignment of the 9 p.m. slot on CBS’ Thursday lineup against ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy.” Even with “The Big Bang Theory” starting off the night, “Crazy Ones” had a much smaller lead-in coming out of 8:30 p.m.’s “The Millers” (a CBS-produced comedy that was renewed for a second season).

“Hostages,” from Jerry Bruckheimer and Warner Bros. TV, was another experiment for the Eye in a serialized series with a shorter 15-episode order designed to allow it to alternate in the Monday 10 p.m. slot with sci-fi/actioner “Intelligence,” from ABC Studios and CBS TV Studios. In the end both dramas failed to produce much of a spark with viewers or critics.

Comedies “Friends with Better Lives” (20th TV) and “Bad Teacher” (Sony Pictures TV/CBS TV Studios) were both late midseason comedy entries that were seen as long shots for renewal.

CBS on Friday picked up two comedies — “The Odd Couple” and “The McCarthys” — and five dramas for the coming season. A few more new series greenlights are expected before Eye execs hit the stage at Carnegie Hall for the May 14 upfront presentation.

1. Shirley says:

So glad the Crazy One’s & Bad Teacher, FWBL are cancelled. They are so stupid. I love the Big Bang Theory, and The Miller’s so funny…Need more comedy’s, and less violent shows. How about cancelling CSI & Criminal Minds? The longer there on, the worse they get with the killings… It’s like a horror show… We have enough violence in the world, do we really need to see it on TV.

• Jeff says:

Crazy One’s and FWBL are WAY funnier than The Miller’s. As far as CSI and CM goes, there is a thing called the remote control, use it!!

2. Joe McG says:

I think CBS blew it by cancelling The Crazy Ones… Were ratings for The Big Bang Theory any better their first season? Or How I Met Your Mother? It sometimes takes a few episodes for a show to find its legs, but I think the chemistry among the cast really brought the show together in the later episodes, and there was a lot of potential they could have explored if given the chance. So many great series had lack-luster ratings for their freshman seasons… I thought The Crazy Ones was better than most. I hope the show looks for another network!

3. jedi77 says:

Go Mentalist. So glad it was picked up for another year.

4. Chris says:

Too bad about Crazy Ones. The only network comedy I watched. Great cast chemistry. Probaly cost too much….sigh.

5. Name*Lon says:

Yeah for The Mentalist! Love Simon Baker and his crew. Blood for cancelling The Crazy Ones! Robin Williams is fantastic! I could watch him all night.

6. Julienne says:

“Bad Teacher” would have become a big show if they had cast someone attractive.

7. Raymond / Big Bang Fan says:

On a small screen “comedy”, Robin Williams needs an audience to bounce off. The single-camera laughter/audience-free set-up reduced him to being just another sit-com figurehead. I was saddened to see just how mundane he was in The Crazy Ones. CBS should really stick to multi-cam comedies filmed/taped before live audiences -it brings out the best in performers…they actually have to work harder.

• Craig Mitchell says:

Do you know comedy at all?? Multi-Cam Comedies DO NOT BRING more out of the performers……..You have no clue

8. SFSolstice says:

Really CBS – You kept that incestuous loser of a show The Millers and cancelled Crazy One with Robin Williams? Probably, the worst programming decision of the 21st Century.

9. tokyogodfather says:

I came for Big Bang Theory, and then discovered Crazy Ones during a promo. I fell in love with Crazy Ones, and watch both on cbs.com . I really liked how the characters were actually developing and learning about themselves, not just returning to the status quo after each ep. I was rooting for the characters. And I actually learned alot about the ad world. I hope some other network, better yet, internet streaming service, pices them up.

10. John D says:

Correction: The Millers followed The Big Bang Theory while The Crazy Ones followed The Millers

11. Michelle Guerrero says:

I think CBS should pick up Survivimg Jack. It would be a GREAT addition to their Thursday Night line up. With Big Bang and Surviving Jack, they will DOMINATE even MORE than now,
    AND Win Non stop EMMYS!

12. Steve says:

Crazy Ones would have been a hit by any other network’s standards, but compared to the ratings CBS draws from their multi-cam slate, Crazy Ones cost more money for less bang. Pun intended. The next great sitcom will come from cable or streaming.

13. Norman Wallerstein says:

I’m sorry to see “The Crazy Ones” go. I thought the show got stronger as time went on. I also figured that CBS would at least grant the series another season.

14. Nancy says:

We love Friends with Better Lives.

15. Jeff says:

I won’t be watching any of the new shows CBS has to offer this fall. They are lucky I stay around to watch other shows on their network. The empty suits have as little of an attention span as young viewers now a days. They need to rethink their 18-49 demo. I’m about done with network TV