CBS Orders ‘Zoo,’ Based on James Patterson Novel, for Summer 2015

zoo James Petterson Movie

CBS said it would add a sci-fi drama, “Zoo,” to its lineup for next summer, continuing a recent effort to launch escapist fare with elements of the supernatural and the extraterrestrial for a time of year when broadcast networks once largely kept new programming on the shelf.

The network said “Zoo,” based on the 2012 thriller by author James Patterson, would consist of 13 episodes and was given a straight-to-series order.

The series looks at the fallout from a wave of violent animal attacks against humans across the planet. As the assaults become more coordinated and fierce, a young renegade biologist tries to unlock the pandemic’s mystery.

Jeff Pinkner, Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec and Scott Rosenberg wrote the script and are executive producers with James Mangold, Cathy Konrad, James Patterson, Bill Robinson, Leopoldo Gout and Steve Bowen.

“’Zoo’ further demonstrates our commitment to high-quality, year-round programming and to high-concept series that play to summer audiences in the U.S. as well as on a global scale,” said Nina Tassler, chairman, CBS Entertainment, in a prepared statement. “With this No. 1 bestseller coming to television, we’re excited to give our viewers a thrill ride with another blockbuster summer event.”

The series is a CBS Television Studios production, and will be distributed domestically by CBS Television Distribution and worldwide by CBS Studios Intl.

Patterson’s book was originally published Little, Brown and Co. and was a No. 1 New York Times bestseller. It has been translated into six languages and has sold more than 4 million copies worldwide.

Jeff Pinkner, Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec and Scott Rosenberg recently signed a first-look deal with CBS Television Studios under their banner Midnight Radio. James Mangold and Cathy Konrad have an overall deal with CBS Television Studios through Tree Line Films.

1. Cathy Green says:

I watched 12 episodes’ on Netflix and it was great. I’m watching episode 13 now.

2. Kathy Steele says:

There’s 2 minutes of show then 3 minutes of commercials then 2 minutes of show and on and on. Ruins the whole thing for me.

3. La Juana Maggiore says:

Looking SOOO forward to this series, as I am reading the book and as always enjoying JP’s bok. :-)

4. La Juana Maggiore says:

I am reading the book now, and soo excited to see it tonight. :-)

• Cynthia Held-Raubaugh says:

LOved the book; sooooo disappointed in the miniseries. And I waited all summer for it to start, thinking this would be my “summer show”. Boo Hoo. Shame on you, Mr. Patterson, for letting them butcher (no pun intended) your great story. There was nothing wrong with the original story-the miniseries premiere was so convoluted, even I was lost!

5. su says:

When will this television series air? It said on a commercial that it airs Sunday but I checked the entire schedule for Sunday and it isn’t on there.

6. Nicole tortora says:

I’m very excited to hear that there will be a series. I couldn’t put the book down

7. June 30, 2015 is first tv showing on CBS

8. Andrea says:

Loved the book!!! Love all his books. So glad to see it made into a tv series.

• kathy martin says:

I don’t understand I see the TV ad’s for summer release and can’t find it being released this summer 2015 one was released in 2012 but did not live up the the ad’s so is a new book or a release of the 2012 release

9. maryanne says:

its a great book, looking forward to the series, hope it does it justrce

10. Christine says:

Is this going to be summer 2015 or summer 2016? They use the word “next summer” in this article, but I’ve been seeing ads on TV & I doubt they would be advertising over a year in advance.

11. Mary says:

Well if it’s anything like what they did to Stephen King’s The Dome then it won’t have much in common with the book. Sad

12. Thomas Raver says:

Booooo…this needs to be an r rated movie, not a miniseries on network tv