Bill Cosby Lawyer Disputes Janice Dickinson’s Rape Claim

Bill Cosby Lawyer Disputes Janice Dickinson's
Getty Images

UPDATE: NBC has dropped its Bill Cosby comedy project from development. Here is the full statement by attorney Martin Singer:

Janice Dickinson’s story accusing Bill Cosby of rape is a lie. There is a glaring contradiction between what she is claiming now for the first time and what she wrote in her own book and what she told the media back in 2002. Ms. Dickinson did an interview with the New York Observer in September 2002 entitled “Interview With a Vamp” completely contradicting her new story about Mr. Cosby. That interview a dozen years ago said “she didn’t want to go to bed with him and he blew her off.” Her publisher Harper Collins can confirm that no attorney representing Mr. Cosby tried to kill the alleged rape story (since there was no such story) or tried to prevent her from saying whatever she wanted about Bill Cosby in her book. The only story she gave 12 years ago to the media and in her autobiography was that she refused to sleep with Mr. Cosby and he blew her off. Documentary proof and Ms. Dickinson’s own words show that her new story about something she now claims happened back in 1982 is a fabricated lie.

Attorney Martin Singer is disputing the claim made by former model Janice Dickinson that she was raped by Bill Cosby in 1982.

Singer, a top showbiz litigator who is frequently hired by celebs facing PR and legal crises, has blasted the accusations Dickinson leveled against Cosby on Tuesday’s edition of “Entertainment Tonight.”

“Janice (Dickinson’s) story accusing Bill Cosby of rape is a complete lie,” Marty Singer, Cosby’s attorney, said in a statement. “There is documentary proof that Janice Dickinson is fabricating and lying about Bill Cosby.”

Dickinson told “ET” in a lengthy interview that Cosby drugged and assaulted her after inviting her into his hotel room in Lake Tahoe, where he was performing. She claimed that she tried to tell the story in her 2002 autobiography but was blocked by Cosby’s legal team. Singer asserted this claim was also untrue.

“The only story she gave 12 years ago in her autobiography as well as her interview with the media was that she refused to sleep with Mr. Cosby and he blew her off,” Singer said. “You can confirm with (publisher) Harper Collins that she never claimed Mr. Cosby raped her, that no attorney representing Bill Cosby tried to kill the story (since there was no such story) and no one tried to prevent anything she wanted to say about Bill Cosby in her book.”

Singer’s statement marks a change in how Cosby’s camp is handling of the growing allegations against the comedian from multiple women. The comedian himself has refused to comment, and another Cosby attorney on Sunday issued a short statement denying what he called “discredited” claims from other women but refused to elaborate.

The mushrooming scandal has already had major fallout for the comedian, who has for decades been one of America’s most beloved entertainers. Cosby has canceled media appearances, and on Tuesday night Netflix confirmed it would delay the planned release of an hourlong comedy special “Bill Cosby 77,” which had been set to bow on Nov. 28.

There is strong speculation in the biz that NBC will be forced to put on hold its development of a new domestic comedy that was to star Cosby as the patriarch of an eclectic family.

Singer has experience dealing with clients who are facing salacious sexual allegations. Earlier this year, he guided director Bryan Singer through a lawsuit brought by Michael Egan, who made splashy claims in Apirl that he was raped by Singer and others years before when he was underage. The case was dropped by Egan in August.

1. Beverly Johnson, one of Cosby’s accusers is as phony as her wigs! I helped Mark “Pipe Dream” Burk –her ex “significant other” file a motion against her for lying and conspiracy in Indio, CA Case # INV 012815. In his Declaration Mark speaks to, “Johnson had been diagnosed with a psychological condition that seemed to cause her to have episodes of rage at times, and then to participate in false prosecution…” — This was the ” … the forth fabricated request for a TRO that had been filed by Beverly Johnson against me: (1) One in Los Angeles and (2) three in Riverside County, from January of 2006 through December 2008. The Petitioner’s Beverly Hills Attorney, David Gernsbacher SB# 89596 was always responsible for filing and then quashing these fabricated TROs. ” — ‘Beverly Johnson presented a medical bill for an X-ray of an admitted golf injury, and then in court tried to change the injury to a battery by me… The Respondent, Mark Anthony Burk asks this court to now declare this restraining order brought by Petitioner, Beverly Johnson as void, and dismiss it with prejudice.”
    MARK BURK WON!

Charges against Mark Burk were removed to “not guilty” and there is no “Docket No.” CNN is a liar. Here is the case no. INM193973 d.o.b 06/12/1957

2. Out of all the Semitic-European men in Hollywood to ‘get close to’ for a [blow] job opportunity, why ONLY Bill Cosby? Blackmen only have limited and superficial “power” in this slave-made land; especially on a plantation like Hollow-wood.

3. Ojuelagba says:

I can’t believe he did it but if so its too later to notice, why now accusing the poor man for rapping an old pussy since 1980’s lady please try to forgive and pray for long life not putting an old things to new once life goes on my dear you should be proud that he rapped you I want my grandmother to be rap too by him I will be famous in the history of our time rapped by one of the best comedian supper star …. I love you Bill Cosby keep on rapping life is short ma brother..

4. News alert: HEY MARTY, THE SHIP HAS SAILED. You may be able to attack the women and find holes in their stories, but social media has exposed the nastiest bully of all (YOU!) as a paid whore / fraud. RIP. Your evil ways are no longer effective when many victims band together against your vicious legal attacks. And the truth, sometimes not perfectly presented, but still the truth, will prevail. AMEN!

5. Randolph Jay says:

Hey, Singer, Dickinson is your Mark Furman. It’s well documented that for years she spouted off at the mouth that Stallone was her baby’s father, until it was finally proven wrong. “Miss Dickinson, have you ever told a lie about a celebrity before to get attention?” Slam dunk.

6. Dave says:

Look regardless of how you may feel about Bill Cosby, he is entitled to the presumption of innocence. Also, Dickerson in no way shape or form ever came out with any allegation until recently. Something as scary and horrifying as rape would have been in her own book and numerous interviews over the years. I do not believe her story.

7. Isis says:

I certainly do *wonder* why Marty doesn’t file a Defamation Lawsuit against these lying, filthy hookers.

And – incidentally, I heard stories about what a cheating abusive controlling egomaniac Bill Cosby was 25 years ago, in Hollywood.

Apparently, it was NO SECRET.

Bye !

8. Sophia says:

Spelling mistake in the second to last line. Says Apirl instead of April.

9. Kathleen says:

Michael Egan did not drop the case. His lawyer dropped the case against Egan’s wishes: http://www.vulture.com/2014/09/michael-egan-bryan-singer-lawsuit.html

10. Catherine Bledsoe says:

John’s so right! Her story is REALLY suspicious. I’ve been involved in Rehab, 12 Step Programs, etc.
    for years and they brain wash into you there: absolutely NO LIQOUR, IN ANY FORM (even a spritzer)
    EVER AGAIN and NO DRUGS except prescribed appropriately by YOUR DOCTOR. This woman knowingly went on an ALCOHOLIC bender and REQUESTED inappropriate medication. She was
    trying to con Dr. Cosby into helping her get a singing career. He has done untold GOOD in the world
    but he isn’t a monk, so no doubt it was a 50/50 situation at least. She wakes up in the morning,
    and Bill Cosby is her VICTIM. (That is, if Mr. Cosby was EVEN IN her room) Janice Dickenson is a
    super HO who is trying to prop up her aging, flagging career.

• Madison says:

Really…you were there when it happened? And what about the other 3 women (at least) who also claim abuse. They are liars too I suppose. Listen, Cosby is a POWERFUL MAN. A woman coming up against him 25 years ago claiming “rape” had NO CHANCE. Dickinson reported it back then and NO ONE LISTENED. Well things have changed in 25 years AND there are at least 3-4 other claims, and more comlng. And again, you weren’t there. You cannot attest to what happened.

11. John Adams says:

Well you have to ask yourself, why would someone go to an entertainment show and say this, one word, ATTENTION. How depraved and sick to jump on the bandwagon to further your own celebrity. Sick despicable woman.

• Madison says:

Newsflash: First, get your facts right. Janice Dickinson reported this 25 years ago, and more than once. No one listened because she was just a KID at the time and was up against BILL COSBY and it was….25 years ago! Things have changed. Also she’s not “depraved…jumping on the bandwagon on an entertainment show…” because again, she tried to stop him, years ago, and more than once.
      Newsflash: Janice Dickinson has MONEY, and plenty of it. She is also engaged to (or just married) a DOCTOR. Why would she need to “further her celebrity?” Sure she’s a little crazy, but that does not make what Bill Cosby did to her, or any woman, RIGHT.
      Let me guess…you’re the guy still claiming MIchael Jackson was never inappropriate with children, and O.J. was framed!

• BILL GORDON says:

I worked for Millionaire Harry Levin (from 1968 until 1981) who owned Midwest Matrix & Machinery Mart and also ACME Type Foundry. He was a close friend and Business Associate of Hugh Hefner (PLAYBOY Enterprise). Hugh Hefner knew of Bill Cosby’s many infidelities and taking advantage of many women (some against their will) within the PLAYBOY premises: These women never stepped forward. No one would believe their recanted encounters. Bill was not the only celebrity who took women by force; Powerful Celebrities were given “Carte Blanche” at the various functions of PLAYBOY’s events where attending women were viewed as selective candy in a candy store, whether they wanted to be or not. Hefner shared many secrets and incidences with Harry Levin. I would hear Harry tell his Son Richard Levin about the dalliances. I was a young black 16 yr old kid then and worked for the Company until 29 yrs old. I didn’t know of Bill Cosby and only remember what I heard. When the Linotype & Intertype Machines would break down I would accompany Mr Jim Spears to fix the machines on PLAYBOY Facilities. He was the only person alive who could repair the machines without a book (thousands of parts). Once he showed me a PLAYBOY book with Joan Collins featured. I was enthralled. He asked me if I would like to see her in the flesh (fully clothed). I said “Yes” emphatically. He told Harry and 3 weeks later I got to see Joan Collins in the PLAYBOY Mansion. I was thrilled. I could not even say “HI”. I was too scared to open my mouth around Hugh Hefner. It was a petrifying experience yet Joan Collins was indelibly etched in my mind: she had the Prettiest Feet of any woman I have ever seen to this day (the only exception was to Trinity Loren). I told Harry Levin that Joan had very pretty feet: He said, “that’s how Bill Cosby selects his women (pretty feet)”. I was stunned, thinking I was the only person who had this fetish. I thought Bill Cosby was one Cool Dude, whoever he was. If Hefner took a Polygraph Test, it would prove he knew what Bill was doing on his premises. Bill chooses all his women by the Foot Fetish addiction, not by looks. His Wife knows. A Polygraph Test for Phylicia Rashad would show he has drugged her and raped her multiple times. Too close a relationship, so he passed her on to Ahmad Rash ad to get his Wife off his back.

• J.C. says:

While I do not necessarily doubt the other woman, I do doubt Janice Dickinson. She has intentionally lied before to get attention, to get herself back in the spotlight. There are just too many gaps in her story. Also, whenever I watch any interview with her discussing the ‘rape’ incident, for which she has been very vocal and very much in the public eye — unlike the OTHER accusers — whenever she starts to cry or sob, supposedly from the traumatic memories, I could not help but notice something very curious. Did no one notice themselves?

What I am referring to is the fact that not a single tear was shed. Not one. No flaws in her make-up, do smears, blotches, nothing. Oh her face was certainly screwed up in a fabulous pantomime of crying, but there were no tears whatsoever. The woman is not only a liar, but a terrible actress as well. Shame on her for using this as a way to get into the limelight.

As for the other women who have come out… You, at least, have my sincerest sympathies. Janice Dickinson? For you there is only disgust.