‘Big Bang Theory’: Voice of Mrs. Wolowitz Dies

Big Bang Theory Mrs. Wolowitz actress Carol Ann Susi dead

Character actress Carol Ann Susi, known as the voice of the unseen Mrs. Wolowitz on “The Big Bang Theory,” died Tuesday in Los Angeles after a brief battle with cancer, according to Warner Bros. Television. Susi was 62 and had appeared in numerous TV shows since the 1970s.

On “The Big Bang Theory,” she was heard in dozens of episodes as the offstage presence of the screechy, overbearing mother of Simon Helberg’s Howard Wolowitz.

“‘The Big Bang Theory’ family has lost a beloved member today with the passing of Carol Ann Susi, who hilariously and memorably voiced the role of Mrs. Wolowitz. Unseen by viewers, the Mrs. Wolowitz character became a bit of a mystery throughout the show’s eight seasons. What was not a mystery, however, was Carol Ann’s immense talent and comedic timing, which were on display during each unforgettable appearance,” said a statement from Warner Bros. Television, CBS and “Big Bang Theory” exec producers Chuck Lorre, Steven Molaro and Bill Prady.

Born in Brooklyn, she studied acting in New York and in the 1970s moved to Los Angeles, where she was cast as reporter Kolchak’s intern in “The Night Stalker.” Among her other TV appearances were “Seinfeld,” “Murphy Brown,” “Cheers,” “Doogie Howser, M.D.,” “Mad About You,” “Just Shoot Me” and “Six Feet Under.”

She is survived by her brother, Michael Susi.

1. Ray says:

I liked the tribute the cast played for Suzy at the end of this past episode. You can see the true emotion in their faces.

2. Terri Bauer says:

R.I P So sad that she has left us . I loved to her Yell at Howard . she will be missed .I know I will miss her voice. R.I.P Suzy . I will miss you .

3. Ray says:

So sad that she left us. I will miss hearing her voice on the show. I never liked the part of the show when they made the Wolowitz character say she wished she were dead. Now it is for real. R.I.P. Suzy.

4. Richard says:

She was terrific, and I adored her even though I never saw her. Loved the way she put Howard in his place when he kept bragging about going to the International Space Station

5. Nancy Klimpel says:

Oh my Gawd, I am so sorry to hear Carol has passed. She was an unseen heroine of the Big Bang.

RIP. You will be missed.

6. Amy Stephens says:

Susie Essman could probably do the voice perfectly.

7. Susan Sp says:

Rest in peace, Ms Susi. Thoughts and prayers for all those affected by those affected by this loss

8. Lori Balbach says:

RIP. Loved what you brought to the show. Will miss you !

9. Kathy says:

R.I.P. Mrs. W. You will truly be missed

10. samuel shipp says:

Its so sad i APSOLUTLY LOVE BIG BANG THEORY and her carcter is one of tge reasons why. She will be mised by many and i hope she has a great time in heaven

11. Alex Nk says:

*background laughter*

12. Matt says:

Anyone else notice that Seinfeld was mentioned twice?

13. Mrs. Wolowitz was as much a part of The Big Bang Theory as any actor/actress shown on the screen even though you never saw her. My husband and I are going to miss her loud voice and comical comments. We both agree that she deserves to have the Big Bang Theory do an episode dealing with her passing…out of respect for all the smiles and laughs she gave us as well as closure regarding why we won’t hear her voice anymore. It just won’t be the same without her.

R.I.P. Carol Ann Susi…you will be greatly missed! Our prayers are with her family and friends, both on and off the set. <3 <3

14. I am so sorry to hear this. Even though she was never seen on the big bang theory she was a funny character, whether with her yelling or comments made about her. I hope the show also gives her a proper send off too, she does not deserve to just fade out. My sympathies to all who knew her, family and friends.

15. Lonnie Hovis says:

So sorry to hear the news of Carol ann Susi passing away. My deepest sympathy for her family at this terrible time.

16. Corriea says:

11/12/14 8:26a Variety Carol Ann Susi The Big Bang Theory Mrs. Wolowitz
    Mrs. Wolowitz was a very lonely, needy woman and despite the constant yelling between her son Howard and her, they both could not be without each other. it will be a very different Howard without her and her new companion, Stuart.

17. Mrs. Wolowitz…..we will miss you.

18. So sad, Sorry for her family and friends loss. Will keep ya’ll in our prayers.

19. Lynn Meehan says:

You will be missed, it’s a shame that she never made an appearance on the BBT, but her voice was very powerful.

20. laurie says:

It saddens me that the show has lost a great actress and character. Ho wlol the show handle this situation. Will honwards mom die.

21. sarah says:

My husband and I watch the show religiously and we are very sad that one of our beloved characters is gone. You will be missed dearly Mrs. Wolowitz.

22. Adam Burton says:

RIP, Ms. Susi. Thanks for mentioning her role in Kolchak: The Night Stalker, which is where I first saw her, but she didn’t play Kolchak’s secretary. He was a reporter; they don’t have secretaries. She played a cub reporter.

23. Frank J. Ahearn says:

Carol, you will be missed. Most Big Bang fans only heard your voice but I knew the face tbat was connected to tbat voice. I have been a fan for a long time. Rest in peace.

24. fiona says:

She made me laugh alot always wanted to see the woman behind the voice. We shall miss her a lot.

25. RIP..Carol Ann. You will be greatly missed as Mrs. Wolowitz. Prayers for your family, cast members and crew.

26. Erik says:

pretty distasteful, Variety, to make me look at an advertisement before reading an obituary. it’s 2014…you can code around that.

27. Ken says:

Hilarious on BIG BANG THEORY – evens sans face or figure. Deeply saddened by this news. Condolences to her loved ones, and to cast and crew on what is network’s finest sitcom.

28. Jonathan says:

That is a big loss for the show. RIP. Will Howard now become an orphan?

29. Reblogged this on The Pop Culture Cafe and commented:
    This is sad news for Big Bang fans.