Barbara Walters to Sign Off ‘The View,’ Retire From TV on May 16

Barbara Walters has set May 16 as her final appearance on ABC’s daytime strip “The View” as she retires from TV journalism.

Walters’ 50-plus years in television will be feted that night with a two-hour primetime special on ABC.

“In this business there are legends, there are icons, and then there is Barbara Walters,” said Disney chairman-CEO Bob Iger. “She’s a dear friend and colleague as well as someone I deeply admire, and it’s impossible to fully convey her impact and influence on television. She broke barriers, defied convention, made history and set the standard for journalistic excellence for more than 50 years. It’s hard to imagine television without her.”

Walters speaks exclusively to Variety about her long career and post-retirement plans in a cover story to be published on Tuesday.

1. L Colburn says:

She should have been gone a long time ago. She’s not a journalist, she’s a high paid liberal commercial…

2. antionus says:

Thank God for small favors. This brain dead moron is a drain on the intelligence of the entire country. The collective IQ of America will go up substantially without this vacuous moron spewing stupidity.

3. Richard says:

BARBARA WALTERS HAS PUSHED OUT ANYONE WHO WAS BETTER THAN HER I NEVER CARED FOR HER COMMENTS I HAVE HAD TO WATCH HER FOR 50 YEARS GLAD TO SEE HER GO .

4. JohnnyO says:

“The View” was the worst mistake you done Barbara. All before that you were OK. Till you joined “The View” That was the begining of your down fall. (and you know it) CRAP! Hope all those bimbos Go!

5. Sandra Moore-Dyrenforth says:

Now I know when I can start watching “The View” with audio again. I just hate listening to Barbara ‘s voice and also I really hated her “view” on everything. If I hear that Paul McCartney is married to her cousin one(1) more time I will throw up!!!!

6. Sharon Hodges says:

Did she run out of facelift ideas?

7. Julie Roe says:

I am not surprised. I truly will be one that does NOT miss her! I quit watching when Elisabeth H. was taken off the show. Too much liberalism for me on that show!!! So thank you Barbara for leaving and hoping the show will go off the air! Not a fan of all of them yelling and you can understand No one!!!! Too many egotistical people on the show!!!

8. Dee Jamacek says:

LOL, they can all retire. I don’t watch it.

9. Sue Moss says:

About time the old bat retires… let her mind her own business!

10. srvwp2013R says:

Thank God! We can finally usher Barbara off the national scene. Unfortunately, I believe Katie is still looking for her next overpaid employment. Out with the old, in with the middle aged. News and “entertainment” are NOT the same thing and there is too much of both and the human beings and/or computers who allegedly report it in our world.

11. mzzbrandy says:

You will be missed Barbara. You are 1 of the most informative an refreshing of all persons you have interviewed over the years. Enjoy your time now,you deserve all tht is good. Tyvm & God Bless!!

12. EK says:

Snarky, envious comments. Like her or not, Ms. Walters’ achievements are exemplary.

• KC says:

Walters set the bar high with her interviews of world leaders, politicians and celebrities alike.
      She is a real dame in the best sense of the word.

• L Colburn says:

She never set the bar high, she had access to big names and used her access to promote and protect those she liked and only tried to challenge those she did not like…that’s NOT reporting OR journalism! Good riddance!

13. Fran Weiss says:

BARBARA WALTERS IS A P.I.A. REPORTER! I NEVER LIKED THE WAY SHE INTERVIEWS PEOPLE.

14. occultology says:

So, Barbara Walters is retiring from Lying For A Living? That’s nice.