‘The Bachelor’s’ Juan Pablo Galavis Apologizes for Anti-Gay Remarks

bachelor-Juan-Pablo-Galavis

Asserts that having gays or bisexuals on ABC reality franchise not a 'good idea'

Less than a month after “Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson was embroiled in controversy following remarks made about gays to GQ Magazine, this season’s “Bachelor” star Juan Pablo Galavis is quickly finding himself in hot water over comments made to a journo regarding gays at ABC’s TCA party last night.

When asked by The TV Page’s Sean Daly if the Alphabet’s venerable dating competition could have a cycle featuring an openly gay or bisexual bachelor, Galavis responded, “I don’t think it is a good idea for kids to watch that on TV.”

“Obviously people have their husband and wife and kids and that is how we are brought up,” the Venezuelan-born reality star continued. “Now there is fathers having kids and all that, and it is hard for me to understand that too in the sense of a household having peoples… Two parents sleeping in the same bed and the kid going into bed… It is confusing in a sense.  But I respect them because they want to have kids.  They want to be parents.  So it is a scale… Where do you put it on the scale?  Where is the thin line to cross or not?  You have to respect everybody’s desires and way of living.  But it would be too hard for TV.”

Galavis added, “I have a lot of friends like that, but they’re more pervert in a sense. To me, the show would be too strong, too hard to watch on TV.”

[UPDATED 1:05 P.M. JANUARY 18] Obviously, these remarks did not sit well with others involved with the show. ABC, “The Bachelor” executive producers and Warner Horizon Television issued a statement saying that “Juan Pablo’s comments were careless, thoughtless and insensitive, and in no way reflect the views of the network, the show’s producers or studio.”

[UPDATED 1:45 P.M. JANUARY 18]  Galavis released an apology on his Facebook page, writing that his comments were taken out of context and that “the word pervert was not what I meant to say” because “English is my second language and my vocabulary is not as broad as it is in Spanish.”

“What I meant to say was that gay people are more affectionate and intense and for a segment of the TV audience this would be too racy to accept,” Galavis wrote. “The show is very racy as it is and I don’t let my 5 year old daughter watch it. Once again, I’m sorry for how my words were taken. I would never disrespect anyone.”

“The Bachelor” returned to ABC’s lineup earlier this month. Galavis, a fan fave from a previous cycle of the unscripted show, was tapped to be the new Bachelor last summer.

1. Nanny Mo says:

Wimp. I’m starting to think that Tarantino is the only real man in Hollywood. He says what he thinks (which I frequently disagree with) and when the whiny start at him, he tells them to go to hell. There’s a real man. I really admire that, even though I disagree with him (and a lot.)

2. CC says:

JJ,

One more note. Next time you go to work and have to deal with someone, maybe a client or give a presentation to the board or something, start talking about how gay people are perverts instead. See what happens to your job security.

Nobody’s saying he shouldn’t be ALLOWED to be a homophobe, but obviously no one intelligent wants to stand with him on this so of course there’s damage control.

3. CC says:

JJ,

It’s because he obviously represents The Bachelor as the current face of the program. When he’s making a public appearance, he’s acting as a promoter and ambassador of the show. Obviously ABC had to do damage control.

I don’t know what you do, but imagine that you’re representing a company either through dealing with clients or other businesses. Your coworker says something homophobic or racist, and the clients/other business is offended and leaves. Because even though his views don’t necessarily reflect that of the whole company, he’s still representing the company to them.

Nobody’s saying that he has to vote for gay marriage or approve of it in his personal life. But the current face of a program viewed by millions shouldn’t be surprised when there’s backlash for making public statements calling homosexuals “perverts.” Nobody broke into his house, read his journal and posted transcripts online. He, at an interview to PROMOTE THE BACHELOR, started talking about how it’s wrong to be gay.

I swear, half of the internet commenters on stories like this have zero concept of what “freedom of speech” actually means.

4. JJ says:

Sorry, it’s called freedom of speech! Why are we being told we cannot have a point of view?!? Ridiculous!

5. LanguageTeacher says:

Mr. Galavis referred to gays as “pervert”, and now claims that his poor choice of words was the fault of his language barrier. This is rather disingenuous because the Spanish word for pervert is “pervertido” which is a cognate of the English word. A cognate is a word that is the same or nearly the same spelling in both languages and has the exact same meaning in both languages. I would have more respect for Mr. Galavis if he simply said that he has the right to his opinion or if simply apologized and acknowledged that his words were offensive to a group that has done him no harm.

The problem with these reality shows is that the cast involved are not on a level of intelligence, taste, or class, that allows them to instinctively monitor their diction and phraseology or to refrain from articulating their prejudices and bigotry publicly.

If you watch TV in Europe, your senses are regaled with Viennese concert music, Italian opera classics, brilliant British drama and dialogue, and French culinary showcases. You watch TV in the United States and you are assaulted with Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shore, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, Duck Dynasty, and The Bachelor. This is our culture, and it’s really sad, especially for our young children who need good role models.

6. Louis in Delaware says:

Mr. Galavis referred to gays as “pervert”, and now claims that his poor choice of words was the fault of his language barrier. This is rather disingenuous because the Spanish word for pervert is “pervertido” which is a cognate of the English word. A cognate is a word that is the same or nearly the same spelling in both languages and has the exact same meaning in both languages. I would have more respect for Mr. Galavis if he simply said he has the right to his opinion or if he simply apologized and acknowledged that his words were offensive to a group that has done him no harm.

The problem with these reality shows is that the cast involved are not on a level of intelligence, taste, or class, that allows them to instinctively monitor their diction and phraseology or to refrain from articulating their predjudices and bigotry publicly.

If you watch TV in Europe, your senses are regaled with Viennese concert music, Italian opera classics, brilliant British drama and dialogue, and French culinary showcases. You watch TV in the United States and you are assaulted with Honey Boo Boo, the Jersey Shore, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, Duck Dynasty, and The Bachelor. This is our culture, and it’s really sad, especially for our young children who need good role models.

7. Stephyo says:

Just shows how desperate casting agents are to find a personality that will spark up Americas attention. But, what those casting agents should have known… they should have done further reserch into the “Hispanic ” culture. Had that person dne so… we wouldn’t be discussing this subject. I dont fault Juan Pablo, however ABC should have known their business better. Mexican Americans will be the majority population in the US very soon. Music sales, arts, fashion, etc in the US will be dictated by hispanic culture. ABC rushed in without any thought…shame on them and THEIR IGNORANCE and trully shallow choice. They wasted millions on the Juan Pablo experience. Fools On The Hill Award goes to the execs at ABC.

8. Ron Kerensky says:

The real question is: Would a gay/bi version of the Bachelor make it in prime time? Would you watch it? There’s a conversation about it on Truth It here: https://truthit.com/question/entertainment/if-the-bachelor-had-a-gay-couples-show-would-you-watch-it

9. Mary Ellen says:

Just I had said…miscommunication. I know that mistranslations and misunderstandings can cause wars but the Bachelor is not a serious show. He apologized, he explained why, now let it go people!

10. Chuck Franks says:

I didn’t find his comments anti-gay at all.
    “You have to respect everybody’s desires and way of living. But it would be too hard for TV.”

This isn’t Anita Bryant speaking people.

His comments don’t seem like hate speech to me. There is a point where we have to start accepting that opinons differ. That doesn’t make someone a homophobe. Save the spotlight for true homophobic issues.

My true issue here is varity for running a story and turning it into something it isn’t.

11. Peggy Allen says:

They have this idiot on but they won’t have black bachelors or bacheorettes?

12. Brian Bigalke says:

I fully support the network’s statement in response!

13. Nanny Mo says:

The thing about “reality” TV is we pretend we want to see that people and odd ducks really think, but when they tell us, we shut them up. I won’t be sad when we can all stop pretending that there is any reality in “reality-made up” TV. Or when Americas so insecure in their lifestyles will grow up and live their lives or don’t. Just because you’re offend, doesn’t mean I have to care.

14. I’m 100% against gay bashing, but this new bullying of people for their values / moral beliefs is too reminiscent of the blacklisting of the communist era, effectively denying the right to free speech and freedom of religion. I’m sure no one would have made a big deal if he was talking about other proclivities (swingers/ polyamorists / polygamists/ kissing cousins / incestuous (why can’t siblings marry and adopt??), S&M-ers…

This was a set up to bring attention to the LGBT cause. People tolerate all manner of debauchery on the airwaves, but when people start talking moral values, it’s blasphemy. I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with him – I don’t even watch the show, but he wasn’t condemning anyone. He should be entitled to his opinion without having to apologize. “Let us not become the evil that we deplore…”

15. Randy says:

I think it is so wrong, you might even call it a “set up”, to ask someone’s opinion, and when they give it, berate them for what they, as individuals, think. If that’s his opinion, IT’S HIS OPINION. I eat meat, not everyone agrees with that. I’m a Christian, not everyone agrees with that. I’m Black, not everyone agrees with that. I’m an actor, not everyone agrees with this line of work. So what??? The man didn’t say he hated anyone. I guess it’s okay to answer a question about sexuality, race, religion IF you are in agreement with the popular vote. If not, you get blasted. Yeah…that’s fair. Don’t ask if you don’t really don’t want to know, or just want to hear what YOU want to hear. Are we not free people?

16. tom says:

Who gives a damn about what some reality star…if you can call him that…thinks. he is a face…nothing more!

17. ThomT says:

Actually there was a concept show on Bravo in 2003 titled “Boy Meets Boy”. It ran one season (13 episodes I think) and is available for sale on DVD (Amazon usually has used copies of the 3 disc set for less than $5). The hook was that James (“the bachelor”) had to pick a partner for a cruise vacation from 12 or so guys. The big gimmick was that only half of the guys were gay and in order for him to win the cruise the guy he picked had to be gay. James’ best friend (a female) was mocked mercilessly on the comedy show “Friday” because of her dramatics and top the top reaction when the gimmick was revealed. The show was not well received by gays or straights because it played so heavily to stereotypes. It was much milder than any of the standard straight dating/mating shows though. There was only one season.

18. Michael Leahy says:

That was not an apology at all. Just a continuation of his ignorance. I hope someone tells him he is homophobic, and one more comment like the previous ones might cost him his job. I do have some sympathy for him though. This man appears to have grown up in a very ignorant place. He does appear to be sincere. He just doesn’t get it.

19. t g shafer says:

I just don’t think it would go over. I doubt the general American public is ready for steamy hot tub scenes and ratings would be a disaster.

Not saying one of the cable channels might not figure out how to run a Gay Bachelor series, maybe even ending with a wedding.

Maybe have A&E run it right after Duck Dynasty. (Just kidding, but it would serve Phil right.)

Tom

20. Matthew B says:

Just another hater. Funny when challenged they crawl back in the hole they crawled out of. When they see it may cost them money it’s suddenly a question of language. Every other word is perfect English.

21. Jeff Allison says:

The guy who’s on a show that’s essentially televised prostitution is worried kids may see 2 guys in the same bed?

22. Michael Anthony says:

You sound like Putin.

23. Michael Anthony says:

If you support his words, then you support bigotry. Hus original words are stereotypes and his followup is just as bad. He insinuates that somehow gays ate uncontrollable sexual beings, incapable of romance. He can cavort with women and their barely there bikinis. But gays would be incapable of reigning in it. To him, a kiss is probably too much! And he’s the ultimate hypocrite talking about kids. You really think Hus daughter should be exposed to Hus exploits and the tearful craziness if the women?

The supporters of him who find nothing wrong with his words, need to take a look in the mirror.This country is supposed to be equal for all. If you condone such blanket bigotry then your ideals align with Putin’s Russia.

• Theadore K Mullins says:

Exactly equal for all. So he has just as much right to disagree with your lifestyle as you do to embrace it that’s equality sir but you don’t want equality do you???? You want to be accepted without question that’s what you want. Well guess what??? No one walking this earth is excepted without question so deal with it. I used to have respect for the gay community at large when they were going for equal rights to have weddings I was behind them 100%. Now though this new bash anyone who disagrees with the gay lifestyle, sick glad on them, cost them their jobs and paychecks. Sorry I’m not down with that. You now look like a bunch of toddlers throwing tantrums.

24. Silvana says:

Only fascist are homophobic and fascist people are ignorant, idiot, stupid, pathetic, and silly.

25. hello says:

…not that there’s anything wrong with that…

26. ThomT says:

Personally I’ve always found the entire concept of both “The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette” to be offensive. Making a game show out of marriage by throwing a couple dozen half-naked boozed up people together in a hot tub to fight (sometime physically) over who get the “prize” guy or girl seems to devalue both those involved and the concept of marriage. I really don’t much care if people choose to watch but honestly being critical (and surprised) about what one of the prized studs says seems a bit more than disingenuous.

27. juan pablo's thought crime says:

What a great idea, and then maybe they can do a show where straight men tell gays how they should dress?

• bbock says:

Nobody said he comitted a crime. (Other than being a deadbeat dad.) The issue isn’t being a criminal. It’s being a bigot. You are allowed to be a bigot. And people are allowed to point out that you are a bigot. So get off the high horse.

28. let me live says:

I think it would be lovely if they had a gay or bisexual bachelor. I’ve actually thought about how they should really do that. In terms of Juan’s comment, kids shouldn’t be watching this show anyway. It doesn’t matter if they bachelor is gay or straight, the show isn’t appropriate for children. This show isn’t “family-friendly.” So that’s not a valid reason to prevent gays or bisexuals from participating.

29. Mary Ellen says:

I don’t believe for a minute that he’s anti-gay or homophobic. I think something got lost in translation and he’s not media savvy. He gave an aswer that was not pc and not vetted by his publicist and I think he misunderstood the intend of the question, there are false cognates in different languages and sometimes words are misused. I think Juan Pablo’s problem was to be too naive…had he been more media savvy, he wouldn’t have touched that question with a 10ft pole. His problem is that he is too nice, a non-drinker, well mannered, family guy so the media had to create a scandal to increase the Bachelor’s viewership. Just because not everyone subscribes to your agenda, that doesn’t make them terrible human beings. Give the guy a break!

Why is it terrible to give an honest non pc answer? Just because there are a lot of people who don’t subscribe to your

30. tdoa says:

this show hardly sets a high moral standard for heterosexual courting rituals, so kids should not even be watching this!

• bbock says:

The word for pervert in Spanish is just about the same as in English. No translation was needed. The words have the exact same meaning and connotation. What he said was hurtful, ignorant and bigoted. But he’s a divorced, deadbeat dad dating 20 women for money. He’s bad for children.

31. big daddy D says: