AMC Renews ‘Halt and Catch Fire’ for Season 2

Halt and Catch Fire TV Review

AMC has ordered a second season of drama “Halt and Catch Fire,” to air next summer.

“Halt” had been on the fence for a pickup as total viewership was modest. But AMC execs said the period drama set in the world of the 1980s computer biz  had enough of a hard-core following coupled with a generally strong reception from critics to warrant a renewal. Lee Pace, Scoot McNairy, Kerry Bishe and Mackenzie Davis star.

“This is a show about invention, experimentation, and the inherent risks in trying to break new ground – themes that really resonate with us as a network and attracted a passionate audience,” said AMC prexy Charlie Collier.  “We have a history of demonstrating patience through the early seasons of new shows, betting on talent and building audience over time. We see that opportunity here and look forward to a second season of ‘Halt and Catch Fire’ from creators Chris Cantwell and Chris Rogers and showrunner Jonathan Lisco.”

With the renewal of “Halt,” AMC has re-upped both of the new dramas introduced this year. “Turn,” about a spy ring in the Revolutionary War, was given a second season order earlier this year.

“Halt” averaged 1.3 million viewers in live plus 7 ratings across its first season, and about 606,000 in adults 18-49. The show wrapped its 10-episode run on Aug. 3.

“Halt” hails from AMC Studios and Mark Johnson’s Gran Via Prods. Johnson exec produces with Gran Via’s Melissa Bernstein, LIsco, Cantwell and Rogers.

1. Harry McGinnis says:

Thanks for the great comments about Halt and Catch Fire. I had the great pleasure of being in a Season 2 episode. They worked 15-16 hour days!! Everyone involved is highly professional, personable, and great to work with! The entire team made a big hit here in Atlanta! They are welcome back for more seasons!!

Harry McGinnis

2. GREAT! When does it air? We love this show!

3. Darby says:

I really hope there is more Halt and Catch Fire, I loved ti

4. kjohn034 says:

Great show! I’m really starting to take a very close look at any show that airs on AMC as they seem to know there sh*t.
    What I love about AMC is unlike there yuppy cousins they don’t seem to need 1 billion viewers per episode to break even and the result is we the people (haha) get great shows for more than one season.
    Bravo!

5. I’m so pleased that Halt & Catch Fire was renewed for Season 2. The show really tells a story. It’s powerful with great characters and the end of the first season was a shocker. I’m looking forward to S2. Thanks to AMC, a network I’ve come to respect for their mode of operation and quality productions.

6. Susan says:

Its great that it is renewed for second season, will watch and look forward to viewing after such a long break.

7. Anthony says:

great show; kinda upset its tackin this long to make a second season

8. Bchen says:

The show is pretty good. All the characters are very ambitious in their own way. There are no good guys or bad guys, all are very flawed. Its also very unpredictable, everything can be going their way and fall apart with a few hand shakes. A little similar to Mad Men, but faster paced. AMC was smart to renew it. With the subject matter it won’t every be a block buster like breaking bad or walking dead, but will gain a very loyal base audience.

9. Frank Molinini says:

Watch halt and catch fire. About the computer industry in the early 80’s during development of the Pc and laptop.Very well written and intelligent! Plenty of treachery, a little violence and some sex too. I love it! Finally a series that has it all and the acting is phenomenal! Can’t wait for the new season

10. greattvaddict says:

So glad Halt and Catch Fire is being renewed. Not only do my husband and I love it, but so does our 26 year old son who isn’t particularly interested in computer history, nor is he a nerd. Please do a marathon before starting Season 2 so some of my friends who missed Season1 can catch up.

11. shauna austin says:

Excellent news!!! Loved this first season and looking forward to whats to come!!!

12. Bohdan says:

That is good news!!! Thank’s AMC. I’ll be expecting for the S2. Very good show!

13. KG says:

We have enjoyed the show immensely! The writers respect the intelligence of their audience. Nice job AMC! Writing and acting is superb! We are informing friends in order to keep the show around for many seasons. The friends who tuned in this summer LOVED it! XXOO

14. Peggy Allen says:

I’m a computer expert and I wished this show was actually about…computers. Instead it was about some sort of sordid threesome. I’ll pass next summer.

• Apocalyptoz says:

I find your comment very odd. For anyone who has gone to college or has a substantial background in any sort of computer related fields and studied computers in any fashion know that there is no such thing as a computer expert. This is actually something most professors stress very strongly. I’ve got college degrees in computer science and Information systems, I’m Obviously A++ Certified and have had training in multiple other computer related Fields. I currently Write code for software that runs laser systems in the manufacturing of Medical catheters. I have many friends and Colleagues who have computer backgrounds in one fashion or another. None of us would ever even use the term Computer Expert for we know there is no such thing. I Find that people who Usually use that term usually are people who don’t know much about computers at all or have just enough knowledge to build a desktop computer and program windows onto it which takes very limited computer knowledge. As for the show I love it. I find it has just enough computer Info that the common person can grasp what the actors are talking about and just enough drama to keep you guessing. If you want to watch a show just about computers and there technology I suggest watching Some Documentaries. This is a made for TV Drama based on the 80’s computer Boom and the business practices that went on and is pretty accurate.

• COMPUSOFA says:

As someone who has almost 20 years working in the computer repair industry I must say Apocalyptoz is 100% correct. Great post. I also think this show is great and happy there will be more.

15. John in Fort Worth says:

I never miss an episode so I’m happy it earned a second season.

16. I am so amped to find out that Halt and Catch Fire will be returning , it was my favorite new show last season :-) I’m a loyal fan of the entire cast, especially Lee Pace. The writers were outstanding as well, and the set designers, dressers, costumes and props were dead on capturing that decade perfectly . Can’t wait to see what they all have in store for us next summer .

• Harry McGinnis says:

Lee is a great guy! Very friendly, easy to work with, and a great sense of humor!

• Charlie Guanci says:

We in the Property Department thank you for recognizing our work on the show!

• Jill Powers says:

Wow! I am really thrilled. AMC did the right thing. This was top quality TV all the way. Now all us Halt Heads have a year to talk it up and get the excitement going.

17. DSykes says:

Glad to hear it, I loved Halt and Catch Fire and can’t wait for a second season.

18. Noel says:

This show deserves second season and so much more. It’s an intelligent, subtle, complex show. Kids have vampires and zombies, it’s only fair that adults have something cool to look forward to.

19. karen wYatt says:

Fantastic! We’ve really enjoyed the show. Looking forward to another season.

20. Ruth says:

Absolutely delighted – thanks for the great news!

21. Deebs says:

They should have brought back Rubicon instead, Rubicon might be the best espionage conspiracy drama i have ever seen! Cancelled so that AMC could fund The Walking Dead, Rubicon could have set the bar for Drama. It wasn’t dumbed down and didn’t hold your hand. I really wish they change their minds on Rubicon

22. Bigmouth says: