ABC to Air Isaiah Washington’s Final ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Episode Ahead of His Return

Isaiah Washington Greys Anatomy

Seven years after a very controversial departure from ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy,” Isaiah Washington will finally return to the medical drama this week, providing audiences with what will surely be another twist in the love life of Cristina Yang (Sandra Oh).

And to get fans ready for his return to the smallscreen, ABC will relive his dramatic departure by replaying the May 2007 episode “Didn’t We Almost Have It All.” It will air in the 8 o’clock slot preceding a new episode, “We Are Never Getting Back Together.” (ABC had originally planned an encore of last week’s episode to air Thursday at 8 but decided to go back in the time machine instead.)

After leaving Yang at the altar, Preston Burke (Washington) left without a trace, never to be heard from again. His departure/disappearance was hardly addressed in the aftermath, except in watching Yang recover from the trauma and hearing that Burke received the highly coveted “Harper Avery” award for work he and Yang performed together.

Burke’s presence won’t be the only throwback this week. The 2007 episode also features old series regulars Katherine Heigl, TR Knight, Eric Dane and Kate Walsh.

This week’s episode will show Cristina looking to Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) for advice as she assesses her future at the hospital after she had lost the Harper Avery as a result of the hospital’s affiliation with the award. Oh is leaving the show after this season, appearing for the last time in the May 15 season finale.

Washington left after an on-set fight in which he used homophobic slurs with co-star Knight. Knight returned the following season, but Washington didn’t, even after a short time in rehab and participating in an anti-hate PSA.

1. Joyce Lee Richardson says:

He is so fine!

2. Sanaa says:

Jeez, Variety – one would think with all your financial resources you would actually print the facts: Knight wasn’t even on set when Washington used the slur in an argument with Dempsey. But I guess an article with such a misleading title isn’t interested in the facts or the truth. Sigh.

3. Triniquille says:

Yeah I’m sorry I have watched this show from literally the first episode to the very latest and even when you kill ppl off and ppl walk out and ppl change their sexual orientation and Meredith makes me question why the hell the show is named after her, I have stuck through it all for that damn Christina Yang, Sandra Oh is AMAZING and has carried the weight of this entire show for many years. I know when she goes I go and many other Yang’s Anatomy fans too!

4. JOSEY says:

YOUR ARE RIGHT, YANG CHARACTER MAKES THE SHOW. I HAVE WORKED IN MEDICAL FIELD
    I WORKED WITH DOCTOR LIKE YANG. THE SHOW WILL SUFFER!!!

5. BlackSeaGold says:

Christina Yang (Sandra Oh) is a principal character and the driving force behind much of the intrigue and action on the series. The show will likely suffer without her because she brought in a fresh perspective, a zing which kept things real. I wonder what the reason for her departure from the show is.

6. Patti Dean says:

I’ve just read these six IMHO, rather insipid comments. Are you folks completely clueless?
    T.R. Knight ELECTED to be written out of GA; it was his choice, as well as Ms.Heigl’s to leave the show to pursue the big screen.
    I STILL SOB when I watch the episodes where George loses his life while saving a stranger from being run over by a bus. For example, remember when, after his attempt to identify himself to Meredith by writing “007” onto her palm, the reaction of the entire cast was fully palpable. Now that’s writing, people. It’s simple to rant/rave in a few lines of comment, but YOU keep a hit show on Primetime for ten seasons!
    As for Cristina, I hate the fact that she’s leaving too. But that is also Ms.Oh’s decision. When Dr. Sloan didn’t survive the plane crash, how many of you enjoyed THAT? (I was throwing things at my t.v.!)
    BTW, who out there hasn’t loved completely more than once in their life? Preston vs. Owen…
    Bottom line, NO ONE can dispute the extraordinary writing talent of Ms. Rhimes. As far as Dr. Burke returning to GA, it might pose a problem, since he is currently on the CW in the new hit series “The 100”.
    So I say we all sit back, watch the clock rewind time on the episode preceeding the May 15th finale, silently says our goodbyes to Dr. Yang, & be very happy that there are scripted shows still available TO watch. Unless you all REALLY can’t get enough of what’s her name; Honey Boo Boo?

7. JOSEY says:

I WILL LONGER WATCH THE SHOW! NO HO ON SHOW, I JUST CAN’T SEE, WHY?

8. Karen says:

I like the show but with all they hype
    you’d think Christ himself was coming back!

9. Andrew Kole says:

Brilliant!
    While GA has gone a little soft… This move is hardball at its best – hopefully.

10. Guest says:

Ridiculous! Are we supposed to believe that Cristina who was so unsure about her relationship with Burke, and seemed almost relieved when he didn’t come back, is going to go off into the sunset with him? Her relationship with Owen was so much more than what she had with Burke. The character of Cristina is extremely intelligent…how is this even plausible?

• MCK says:

Honestly, I think this is more of a job offer than a pursuit of a relationship. I really don’t like that the promos are pumping up Burke as the love of her life when she had more with Owen, but I really think it is meant to be misleading. I may be completely wrong about that, but the way Cristina stormed out of the hospital in the last episode tells me she is looking to start fresh elsewhere…and Burke may be the key to that.

• Adriana says:

It’s called rewriting history for the sake of ratings. Pathetic desperation on the part of ABC and Shonda Rhimes by bringing back Isaiah Washington. It’s too bad TR Knight can’t return because his character was killed. And Shonda Rhimes badmouthed Katherine Heigl last fall so it’s obvious her character won’t be back. ABC and Rhimes are complete sell outs. I have no respect for them.

11. halcyon says:

That’s a confusing headline. He hasn’t filmed his final episode if he hasn’t returned yet. You mean the last one he was in. Really badly written.