ABC Cancels ‘Mind Games’; ‘Wife Swap’ to Return

Mind Games TV Show Review-ABC

ABC has pulled the struggling Christian Slater-Steve Zahn drama “Mind Games” from its schedule, replacing it in the short term with repeats of new Sunday drama “Resurrection.”

“Mind Games” opened with a weak 1.1 rating/3 share in adults 18-49 and 3.6 million viewers on Feb. 25, according to Nielsen, and it only got uglier from there. The show netted a 0.7/2 in the demo and a little over 2 million viewers with its most recent airing on Tuesday of this week.

“Resurrection” airs in a crowded Sunday timeslot, so giving viewers a second chance to see it certainly won’t hurt a show that has delivered promising ratings in its three airings. It will air Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on April 1 and 8.

Starting April 15, the third season of “Celebrity Wife Swap” will air in the time period for ABC. The net has had three Tuesday-at-10 disappointments this season (“Lucky 7,” “Killer Women” and now “Mind Games”) and probably thought a familiar reality show would be the best way to plug the hour for the final month of the TV season.

1. Natalie says:

It just kills me that Mind Games, a show that actually causes people to THINK a little, is being replaced my Celebrity Wife Swap. Because the world needs more reality television. They should have at least let them air all that they had, jeez. I really liked the show, but I’m also a psychologist. Maybe there just wasn’t enough general interest.

2. S. A. Matheson says:

I liked Mind Games. I agree, the problem is likely with ABC. However, the series story line dwelled too much on mental illness of the main character. It bogged it down. For a smart caper-esque show, which had great potential, the writers should have stayed away from mental illness with medication and manic episodes, and made this a very minor part of the main character. AT 10pm, or any time frankly, people watch TV to escape and enjoy – not be reminded of something this serious (especially during a comedic show). Too bad ABC blew this one.

3. K Plan says:

I have always disliked pretty much all of the melodramatic network series which are out there (your Scandals, Grey’s, ERs, etc.), but I REALLY enjoyed Mind Games. If no one is watching the shows on at that hour on ABC, then the problem is probably ABC. Slater just can’t catch a freakin’ break on TV. (Zahn is incredible on this show btw.)

4. David says:

When will Hollywood finally admit that Christian Slater is not a thing anymore. He name hasn’t pulled any weight since the early 90s.

5. meleliot says:

That completely sucks. I really enjoyed Mind Games. The actors were great and the stories were interesting. I like watching people help people. Boo ABC!

6. Cinda says:

Is ABC nuts!!?? I thought “Mind Games” was a great show! ABC didn’t give it a chance. My husband and I watched it and enjoyed the scientific nature of the show. We learned a lot about human behavior and how it can be manipulated by small actions or gestures. ABC please bring back “Mind Games”!!!! It was interesting and an original concept. It’s better than all of the other shows o the air.

7. Betsy p says:

Bummer – one of my favorite new shows in a long time.

• Jackson says:

No, ABC is not nuts. Mind Games had the lowest ratings average of ANY show currently airing on the network. It had a very low premier rating and then dropped a staggering 45% for it’s second episode. The show remained in the sub 1s for the remainder of it’s airings and showed no signs that it would improve. It was losing the network money. I’m sorry that you lost a show you liked but don’t blame the network for making a sound business decision. Blame the people who chose not to watch it.

• Cinda says:

The station didn’t properly promote the show. It never received the build up or or promo blitz the way these other shows did. Every time I turned on the T.V. I always saw commercials promoting “Dallas”, “Elementary” “The Bachelor” “Scandal” etc. The T.V. was saturated with these promos. I never saw this type of hype for “Mind Game” The network didn’t aggressively promote the show, and that’s their fault, not the fault of the actors, writers or the show. There was nothing wrong with the show. It was great!

8. TeriLee Huff says:

Celebrity Wife Swap….Trashy TV continues.

9. Jennifer says:

That so sucks. I really like Mind Games. Christian Slater show don’t get the hype they deserve. Just like My Own Worst Enemy, he was great in that and it got pulled after 1 season. As for Lucky 7, I really liked that one too.

10. Chelsea says:

Boo I like mind games, but cool about wife swap.