ABC Cancels ‘Manhattan Love Story’

Manhattan Love Story abc

ABC has broken up with its new relationship comedy, “Manhattan Love Story,” canceling the sitcom created by Jeff Lowell after four episodes.

The ABC Studios comedy, which focused on the inner monologues of characters who were embarking on a new relationship, is the first of the new fall shows to be canceled.

“Love Story,” which aired at 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays after fellow new romantic comedy “Selfie,” had a weak ratings start and lukewarm reviews, with Variety’s Brian Lowry writing that the narrative device was “straight out of the subtitled feeling-out exchange in ‘Annie Hall'” — even if leads Analeigh Tipton and Jake McDorman were appealing.

Despite being the first to drop the axe this season, ABC has had good luck in some of its other new properties and recently gave full-season orders to comedy “Black-ish” and drama “How to Get Away With Murder.” Both of those shows have growing fanbases, with “Murder” doubling its premiere ratings in multi-platform viewing.

1. You can watch the unaired episodes on abc.com!!

2. Brittany Rivera says:

I cannot believe manhattan love story was cancelled…did this really happen? Yep, and how flippin depressing. This show actually made sense…the characters connected and made you feel so intrigued. The chemistry between the characters was adorable…that’s right, asorable. The story felt so relatable and real. It made you laugh and say to yourself “yeah I’ve been that ridiculous once”. The way they narrated it was comical and refreshing…to be inside a characters thoughts is like being In the moment..in the tv screen right along with them. There were so many other shows that deserves the ax….Presenting stories and humor that doesn’t even make sense…with complete lack of chemistry…shows that tries way too hard to be funny. Yet I look at my TV guide and see them still playing. Wow. I am always amazed at the way life works. I just finished watching the unaired episodes, and little piece of me is saddened. Love was cut entirely too short.

3. Sarah says:

It’s amazing to me that they won’t even finish the season. They already filmed it all, so why would they not show it? It’s got to be a terrible to feeling to spend all that time filming and have it end after the fourth episode.

4. Nicole says:

I LOVED THIS SHOW. I AM SO MAD. IT WAS SO CUTE. FUCK YOU ABC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. zyggie says:

everywhere is fickle these days. too much concentration on reality shows in LA LA land, South, all over the place. That 10 mins of fame has made some women share too much on TV. So tired of those types of shows. I don’t watch but, know they are there. We should not try to keep up with the Kardashians, or follow the housewives. MLove Story was not good at all. A to Z is not good either so we’ll see whose next.

6. malibujd44 says:

They cancelled Trophy Wives for this crap!!! Don’t know why the networks don’t hire me…I could save them tons of cash….every year I am almost 100% right on what shows will make it or not. Makes me miss the late great Brandon Tartikoff more and more every year. He would be partially appalled by all the crap produced by Lorne Michaels these days and that click of Harvard educated so called comedy writers and directors that the networks keep hiring that are not funny at all. Over the last 80 years the industry has become so inbred with relatives and ass kissers its really turning off people.
    Not really sorry to see this show gone just sorry to see so many put out of work…hope it is replaced with something made here in LALA land where because of mega greed at the top, there is barely any work anymore.

7. Jason says:

Could of told you that. While u r at it cancel selfie , Mindy crap project , and every other stupid mindless show that these stupid Americans watch. Focus on real dramatic shows like sons of anarchy , svu, walking dead, etc

8. CMarks says:

First cancellation but probably only because NBC hasn’t yet premiered the delayed Katherine Heigl’s “State of Affairs”.

9. cyrax86 says:

Good riddance but all the new comedies of the season are just as terrible. NBC should try something instead of Marry Me in the post-The Voice slot.

10. Guest says:

This show was terrible, how it made it to series is shocking

11. drakeca89 says:

boooo I didnt watch this but love the lead girl sad :(