Italian composer Ennio Morricone’s long-awaited Los Angeles concert debut has been postponed from March 20 to June 15.
Also postponed, or possibly cancelled, is Morricone’s on-stage interview with director Quentin Tarantino, which had been scheduled for LACMA on March 18 and was sold out. Whether that will be rescheduled is not clear and may depend on each man’s individual schedules.
The prolific composer of “The Mission,” “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” has never appeared in concert in Los Angeles. His sole previous American concert was in 2007 in New York. Morricone’s March 23 concert in Brooklyn has also been postponed, to June 13.
The 85-year-old maestro recently underwent back surgery and, he said in a statement, doctors have advised him not to travel long distances during his recovery period.
“It saddens me deeply to have to postpone,” Morricone said. “I am very miuch looking forward to my first Los Angeles performance. Hollywood has been instrumental in bringing my work to American audiences, and my 2007 performance in New York was one of the high points of my career to date. I’m grateful and sorry to my fans for having to delay this show.”
Tickets for the March 20 Nokia Theatre LA LIVE concert will be honored for the June 15 concert, a spokesman said. Ticket holders who cannot attend on the new date will be able to receive refunds through May 1 at their point of purchase.
Morricone is expected to bring his 100-piece orchestra with him from Italy. A 75-voice choir will be recruited from the ranks of L.A. singers.
Morricone is only the second composer in Oscar history to receive an honorary Oscar for his entire career. He received it in 2007. His other notable scores include “Cinema Paradiso,” “Once Upon a Time in America,” “The Untouchables” and “Bugsy.”