‘Wolf of Wall Street’ Breaks F-Word Record

The Wolf of Wall Street F

Martin Scorsese’s “The Wolf of Wall Street” is all about excess. From orgies on a plane to cocaine and cash (or “fun coupons” as Leonardo DiCaprio’s character calls them), the financial drama thrives in taking it up a notch.

So it should be no surprise that Paramount’s R-rated film sets the all-time record for the use of the f-word.

According to Wikipedia, the word “fuck” is used 506 times over “The Wolf of Wall Street’s” 180-minute running time. Previously, the record for a non-documentary was Spike Lee’s 1999 film “Summer of Sam” with 435 instances.

“Wolf of Wall Street” isn’t the first time Scorsese, 71,  has dabbled in the profane.

The Oscar-winning director has two other projects in the f-word top 20, including “Casino” (422) and “Goodfellas” (300).

1. Okay, everybody, get this: I am a published and award-winning writer (and screenplay-contest winner) and am repulsed almost to the point of nausea by the obnoxious excess of the f-word in books and movies. It reeks of pandering and stupidity and the talented Scorsese should know that. However, the First Amendment permits this practice. So let me put it this way: The low-class, juvenile overuse of the word in popular media reminds me of the old joke about why dogs lick their balls – because they can.

2. Bobloblaw says:

Blue Velvet?

3. Mando says:

I think y’all are being a bunch of ****** because y’all are offended by the word FUCK! Who cares if you think this movie is bad, y’all must not be very bright in the fucking brain. Martin Scorsese films should only be critiqued by people who actually UNDERSTAND the movies. If you haven’t seen any of his other movies you are missing out on some of the best movies made in history. Y’all quick being a bunch of cupcakes and accept today’s society. And look at the time period the movie was based on, the 80’s-90’s cocaine, sex, and money. So fuck the haters

4. Debra says:

Wow. There’s a record to be proud of. I am SO tired of gratuitous swearing. It doesn’t matter how “great” something is purported to be: if I’m gong to sit there and be bored / embarrassed by the constant stream of unnecessary bad language, I’m going to pass.

When did we become so linguistically challenged that we can’t say anything, anymore, unless it’s laced with profanity? What happened to class and intelligence of expression?

Despite protestations to the contrary, not everyone speaks like that or wants to hear others polluting their space with it.

5. Catherine says:

Why is ScreenIt.com not credited with revealing the appalling number of F-bombs in this movie? Give credit where it’s due. Some of us are grateful fo the warning!

6. Jt kong, what are you talking about, I loved every minute of it, awesome movie

7. jt kong says:

who knew the combination of dicaprio and scorcese could end up so bad. this movie was just plain awful.

8. BillBob says:

Surely the author means ‘piqued’:

“To provoke; arouse: The portrait piqued her curiosity.”

It ain’t just the movies dumbing down pop culture these days…

Anyways, can’t wait to see this, and regardless of f-bombs (not to mention the irony that Hollywood be poking the borax at Wall Street) am loving that pic is ‘piquing’ discussion of our inequitable, venal and avaricious global economic system, while despairing that anything will really change. Ever.

From Noo Zeeland, famously (really only somewhat) egalitarian home of the Hobbits.

9. Steven Paul says:

I would never watch this move! Nobody in this situation would really use the F word that many times (even in real life). It’s scripted! And any writer or director that has to make his point by saying fuck 500 times, I don’t care about his movie. If profanity is in the normal progression of speech, that’s one thing. But just like all these other ever growing unrealistic stuff in movies; violence, impossible stunts, gore, language, crudeness, everything over the top. It’s becoming harder and harder to find movies I will even sit through. Even television is going this way, they think they have to push everything over the top more and more to make a good show or movie. Not true at all!

10. Judy says:

After the first 30 minutes you sorta got immune to the foul language and the nudity but it should have been rated X as far as I was concerned.

• Denny Hamlin says:

I do agree with your comment that is should have been rated X. While I did enjoy “The Wolf of Wall Street” I will say the drug use, language, sex and nudity etc. are really pushing the boundries of the R rating. Remember that a R rating means that anyone under the age of 18 can be admitted with an adult. The MPAA no longer uses the X rating it is now called NC-17, I think they changed it in the late 80’s or early 90’s.

From my understadning very few movies get this rating becasue no one wants it. I’ve heard that some theaters won’t even show NC-17 rated movies. So the producers, directors etc. edit their movies until they get an R rating instead. You end up with R movies pusing the limit further and further and the only movies that really get a NC-17 rating are those with explicit sexual cotnent. IMO any movie that has excessive violence, drug and/or alcohol use, language, sex etc. should get a NC-17 rating. I suppose it could difficult in some cases to decide what is excessive and whats not, but all in all I think it would be a good idea.

• I’m with you. When you have all the repulsive sex scenes, how can you be so put off only by the excessive bad language? Orgies and explicit sex are okay in an R rated film, but f words are repulsive?

11. Pattinson says:

It is a must watch film for me nw…. Waiting for it to release in India….

12. Mike says:

The F-word is always a useful substitute for good script writing

13. Ron Fowler says:

I would like to see a release of “Wolf” with out the “F” word and see which received the most attendance. I wanted to see the movie but knowing in advance this total onslaught on the sensibilities of the public I no longer have the desire to go.

14. Jack Roth says:

If you can no longer make great movies, throw in as many foul words as you can in an attempt to cover up your failure.

15. Bill says:

Great actor, DeCaprio gets better with each movie!!!

16. ZEEBRAA says:

I guess this is something to be proud of…..what a mess we are in. DeCaprio you must really be hungry or just simply lost

17. Seriously? So many interesting approaches to this film. So much social commentary available, from left to right to radical. So much history to delve into. So much about Scorsese and his lengthy career to explore and to speculate on why this was the next thing for him. But what do we get instead?

“Martha! Martha! Have you heard!?!? Leonardo says FIVE HUNDRED naughty, naughty words! Gasp! Can you believe it? What is this world coming to!”

Is this really what discussions of art have descended to these days? Parochial superficialities that would have been embarrassing coming out of the mouth of anyone but a sexually frustrated midwestern housewife in the 1940s? Is that it?

I weep for humanity.

• Texan Girl by the Grace of God says:

Greg – You should weep for yourself. Have some manners and grow up.

• mastump317 says:

Greg,
      I don’t necessarily think that profanity is a reason to boycott a movie, but an excess of it most certainly doesn’t add to product that is there, if it is quality. Take, for example, NYPD Blue when it aired in the 1990s. NYPD was a quality product, WITH or WITHOUT the profanity. The problem is that Sponsors are needed for television;customers support sponsors; an all the profanity did was to reduce the viewer base for Boccho and the customer base for the advertisers. You feel profanity is a part of art? Isn’t art about the ability to express oneself? So does that make one whose whose only vocabulary seems to be 4-letter words more of an artist than one who has a larger vocabulary? Methinks not! It would be like labeling a painting a masterpiece because the artist used only one color in its creation!

• thussaiththewalrus says:

Greg WEEPS at opinions being expressed that do not mirror his own sorry plight?

Does his depth of feeling extend to women who are allergic to the “F” word? You see, I have not been to a movie since 1983. And, I feel better for it. Since no longer hearing “the F word,” my palpitations have ceased. I have heard from many other women who “wish” that Hollywood would take their allergies to “the F word” into consideration and be guided accordingly.

Reminder: In the “Golden” age of Hollywood, the “F” word WAS NOT used a single time!! NEVER!! And Hollywood was never richer, or entertained a higher degree of power and respect!!!! (If they are SO STUPID that they cannot understand the use of “the F word” and their own declining fortunes, they are pathetically stupid!)

• Steve says:

Let’s experiment with how much more we can sound like a pretentious ass than Greg Gauthier….

“I sulk sullenly at the prospects for mankind when such drivel is deemed newsworthy and is made to rise, much like a phoenix from the ashes, and propelled into the infinite, despicable void that is pop culture. Oh, woe to the earth and its inhabitants, for verily I say unto thee look forth at this cultural puke, this tallying of the f-word only fit for the frumpiest of fly-over state wives. Oh, the sorrow! Oh, the abominable lowness of Variety!’

Weep all you want, Greg, but someone’s gotta keep track of who holds the record.

18. Samuel Adams says:

Censors. I commented to a person who said that this movie was okay by asserting that it reflects real life. I told that person that real life includes defecating and vomiting and that I did not want to see that any more than I wanted to see the excesses this movie employs. You leave in everyone’s fuck comments but deleted my comment. Interesting. You place this article counting the number of times fuck is said and then you get on your high horse and eliminate my defecating analogy. Can you see the inconsistency there?

19. dudley says:

Profanity tries to make up for insubstantial writing. Excesses do not excuse vulgarity for the sake of vulgarity.

What would the reaction be if they said, “like” 500 times? Show full of airheads. How about 500 “man”s? Show full of 60s-trapped potheads.

Using the f-word 500 times means only vulgarity as a response to the inability to express. Nobody left the theater saying, “Wow! What writing! If they had said “F&^K” 10 more times it would have been iconic!!”

• Roger says:

You are correct.
      They cannot write, cannot act and I ‘cannot’ go to these movies and won’t.
      “Casablanca” had no profanity; “From Here To Eternity” had none although it was considered ‘racy’ back then; ‘Stagecoach’ had none and so it goes… simply said, there is no need to use such profanity in such quantity excepting the inability to write and act. America’s dumbed down population just shrugs, ‘box of chocolates’ has melted.

20. I have talked to several people that just did not like it, In the age group of 17 to 38. What can I say?

21. Jerry Jansen says:

We have been to many mainstream films and realism calls for including profanity, and even hints of sexuality to keep the story real. Especially this film based on a true story. But this film was over the top and uses excessive amounts of f-bombs and certainly more than enough skin and sex than was needed to convey this story. We walked out after an hour wondering how all those A-list stars thought this was a good way to seriously tell the story. Sad.

22. TruthInSpending says:

“Profanity, the vain attempt of the weak and feeble minded to express themselves forcefully.”

Seen over fifty years ago on the wall of a bowling alley. It has stuck with me since then.

23. Samuel Adams says:

Of course there was. In one scene there must be 20 guys going at it. This was not as clearly shown as the feminine sex, but it was there. You may have been able to see private parts, but I honestly was not that interested in this scene.

24. Everette Twinning says:

Nah. Any episode of Deadwood beats this. And it’s probably not even the most ‘popular’ nasty.

25. Rationalist says:

“Breaks F-word record”…

and this is something to be proud of…?

This is why I won’t give another dollar to “H-wood” until they start producing family friendly flicks…and if they never do again,…fine – there are plenty of independent family friendly faith related movies – and related advertisers – that WILL get my dollars…

26. The Oracle. says:

when people can’t communicate, aren’t in control, they use expletives.
    evidence found as we review, ‘-readers comments,’ that follow news
    articles on the internet. America slips further. Witness this nation’s death.

27. God says:

This might be the most idiotic comment section I have ever set my eyes on. Congrats on being what’s wrong with the world, everyone! You earned it!(?)

28. the LOR says:

This is a bit of a flawed statistic. You need to consider the run time of the movies. You’ll see that the F-word was more frequently in Son of Sam than Wolf of Wall Street.

Stick to writing. Leave stats to the quants.

29. Ib says:

Civilized people don’t use the F-word, people that do is a sign of poor education and insecurity.

IbJ.

30. bre ha says:

It is clear that hollywood continues to greatly help the country lead the way in setting lower and lower standards of moral conduct.

31. Berke Zane says:

I grew up in NYC, worked the same turf as these wolves and the dialogue is realistic. Most of my childhood friends and business associates used F in every sentence. So an A for authenticity, but that said, in art, maybe some restraint might be in order to better articulate the action. Or maybe not.

• dudley says:

Producers ought to realize that unless their target market is the Bronx where no sentence is complete without symptoms of Turrett’s they might want to tone it down, perhaps place an explanation:

“Historically, the word “F*&K” is used in each sentence in the Bronx, and so it was in the time period of this film. However, to protect the sensibilities of the viewers and to avoid the complete and total confusion over adverbs locally, we have chosen to omit most instances, using instead full descriptions of which one, what kind of, and how many using words that correctly end in ‘ly’.”

32. DJ says:

I quit going to films around the time of “casino”. They are too filthy and too violent. There is no need for the bad words, they add nothing to the film but they do take away.

33. JimInNashville says:

Possibly the worst movie since Ishtar.

34. Jason Derr says:

I figured there would be some asswipe that would attach a political stigma to it..

35. There’s nothing quite like the art of writing finely crafted dialogue…

36. Vic Vargaz says:

Gold plated trailer trash. Leo, Martin, all of them.

37. Why are we allowing these kinds of movies to be made? This makes it too easy for children to become obscene…

38. perrymyk says:

I saw the Wolf and it’s a dog………………

39. matt g says:

Wtf???

40. kimdi01 says:

This is to make me want to see the movie? I think not.

41. Tyler says:

I always thought “Scarface” had the most, it’s good to know someone is counting.

42. Who in the world has so little to do that is worthwhile that he/she sits around counting “F” words.

43. Kanwe Yeast says:

506 on the fuck-o-meter, and no end in sight! How hip can Hollywood get?

44. Rocco Tool says:

TBS will have fun censoring that for television, won’t they?

45. SilverState says:

“…the word “fuck” is used 506 times over “The Wolf of Wall Street’s”’
    Because you can’t make a good movie without the F bomb.

46. Samuel Adams says:

Accidentally saw this movie because the one I wanted to see was full. Gotta say, if you like vaginas, penises, cocaine being sniffed off women’s private parts you will like this movie. If you like a movie that portrays someone who fleeces the public using penny stocks, makes millions, gets caught, goes to prison for 20 months, gets out and uses his sales skills to get rich again, you will like this movie. There is no morality lesson here and the bad guy wins. This is a true story and the guy writes a book about his life for us to read and then make into a movie. One thing, I do not recommend taking anyone you might care about to this movie. Definitely embarrassing as a date movie and you probably would be accused of child abuse if you took your children. On the other hand if you and your significant other are into this kind of lifestyle yourself you will love it.

• JimInNashville says:

Taking a page out of the storyline, shouldn’t I download the movie and watch it for free? I’m sure Scorsese would approve.

47. reny57 says:

You mean there’s actually a “F” word statistician who counts the number of times its used in a movie? What kind of salary do these people make? Are there any positions available?

• thussaiththewalrus says:

If you ACTUALLY believe that someone “counted” the words, you are not qualified for the job.

This is 2014, not 1914.

48. maxoverdriv says:

not a leonardo fan at all but the movie is entertaining and funny, dragged a little towards the end, but all in all felt like I got my monies worth. It is a movie, not a documentary people lighten up.

49. cosmicwxdude says:

I’ll be at a bar or somewhere public occasionally and you’ll see the sorta-drunk-dude with a gal and every other word he utters is F@@@! It’s ridicules. I am thankful my friends don’t speak like that. Sure an occasional F-bomb where appropriate but the every other word meme is infantile and shows you who the losers really are.

50. Well then this movie belongs in the garbage with the rest of the trash!