Weinstein Co. Strikes New U.S. Distribution Deal for ‘Grace of Monaco’ (EXCLUSIVE)

'Grace of Monaco': Harvey Weinstein Keep

Nicole Kidman biopic will finally open in the United States

After weeks of contract renegotiations, the Weinstein Co. is about to sign a new deal to retain the U.S. distribution rights of “Grace of Monaco,” Variety has learned.

Under the pact, reached with the film’s producers on Wednesday, the same day “Grace” is scheduled to premiere as the opening night film at Cannes, Harvey Weinstein has agreed to acquire the rights for $3 million —  which is $2 million less than he had originally intended to fork out under a previous contract. But there will be incentives built in based on box-office performance.

The version of the film screened in the United States will be Dahan’s cut. If any changes are made, they will be mutually approved by Weinstein and Dahan working together, according to the new contract. Even though “Grace of Monaco” doesn’t have a U.S. release date yet, it will likely open at the end of the summer or early fall.

The Nicole Kidman biopic about Grace Kelly has been long delayed and has been the subject of continuous off-screen drama. Weinstein and the filmmakers had initially discussed a November 2013 window, but subsequently set a mid-March launch for the sophisticated adult drama.

When Weinstein saw a rough cut of  director Olivier Dahan’s version last year, he thought the story was too dark. He wanted the film to emphasize the romantic backstory of how the beautiful actress became a princess — essentially capturing her life and relationship as more of a fairy tale.

“I like to collaborate,” Dahan said in an interview with Variety earlier this month. “From my point of view, the room was always wide open for (Weinstein), but I never really met him. I sent him different versions of the work in progress, but I never received any feedback.” The director spent nearly a year in editing, trying to find the right balance for the film’s many layers: glamour, romance, political intrigue and female empowerment.

Still, Weinstein pushed for the version of the movie that he envisioned, believing it would be far friendlier to U.S. audiences — not to mention Oscar voters.

“When Harvey created the idea of going for the Oscars, suddenly we were in a hurry and had a double rhythm,” said French producer Pierre-Ange Le Pogam in an interview with Variety. “I guess that’s where the problems started.”

Tensions mounted when Dahan disagreed with Weinstein’s changes, and publicly aired his concerns, creating a standstill between the two sides.

Weinstein was then blindsided by an announcement in the spring that the film had landed a deal for the director’s version of the film to debut at Cannes. “Grace of Monaco” opens Wednesday, May 14 in France, and has summer release dates in more than 20 countries, including England, Greece, Spain and Australia.

In the spring, Kidman met with Harvey and TWC chief David Glasser and strongly expressed her desire for their company to support her movie in America, according to a knowledgeable source. Consequently, in recent weeks, Weinstein and the producers resumed discussions in hopes of resolving their differences and striking a new distribution deal. YRF Entertainment CEO Uday Chopra, who financed the film, played a key role last week in easing tensions between Weinstein and Dahan.

Weinstein will not be attending the Cannes premiere of “Grace” due to a prior commitment.

“My wife, Georgina, and I have been in Jordan visiting two Syrian refugee camps, Al Zaatari yesterday and Azraq today,” Weinstein said in an exclusive statement to Variety. “This was a long planned trip with the UNHCR and our friend Neil Gaiman to bring attention plight of refugees who have been forced to flee Syria and the incredible work of UNHCR.

“I’m wishing Olivier, Nicole, Pierre Ange and Uday and the ‘Grace of Monaco’ team all the best for the screening in Cannes tonight.”

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 5

Leave a Reply

5 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. Grace of Monaco will be visually bouquet ….and perhaps the real Grace of Monaco story will also come out in the FALL as the book “My Days with Princess Grace of Monaco” is published.

  2. Joyce Tyler says:

    According to Deadline Hollywood: “Things went awry when director Olivier Dahan made big changes in the script bought by TWC, and there was some question whether Harvey Weinstein might let it go. Dahan has been very vocal about his insistence on being able to make the movie he wanted to, but the film began showing today and the reviews are lackluster. Also new is the royal family’s decision to boycott.”

  3. Glenn C. says:

    This is typical Hollywood. The executives want their vision too and the poor director wants his! It’s all a business. Harvey does have a few Oscars to show that he can tell what is right and not right. Kidman is an amazing actress. One of her best performances was in a film called BIRTH.

    • Andrew says:

      well seeing the reviews coming out of Cannes- perhaps Harvey was right all along to try and bury the director’s cut of the film…

  4. M. says:

    Same pattern as for Snowpiercer. Really, Harvey. You’re getting too predictable.

More Film News from Variety

Loading