Beatles’ ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ Restored, Set for July 4 Release

A Hard Days Night Beatles Movie

A new restoration of the Beatles’ 1964 film “A Hard Day’s Night” has been set to play in more than 50 cities nationwide over July 4 weekend.

Janus Films announced that the music movie has been digitally restored in 4K resolution from the original camera negative by the Criterion Collection’s restoration team and approved by director Richard Lester. The soundtrack has been remixed and remastered by producer Giles Martin at Abbey Road Studios.

The newly restored “A Hard Day’s Night” premiered earlier this month at the TCM Classic Movie Film Festival in Hollywood, where it was introduced by Alec Baldwin and record producer Don Was.

The film, which premiered in 1964 at London’s Pavillion Theatre, stars John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr with Wilfrid Brambell portraying McCartney’s grandfather. The story is a light-hearted satirical look at several days in the lives of the group and features eight Beatles songs, including “I Should Have Known Better,” “If I Fell,” “Can’t Buy Me Love” and the title track “A Hard Day’s Night.”

The film was shot in black and white on a $500,000 budget at the height of Beatlemania. It was a significant success, grossing over $12 million.

Lester directed from a script by Alun Owen and Walter Shenson produced for United Artists. The film is owned by Bruce A. and Martha Karsh, who licensed the Janus-Criterion release.

The film received Oscar nominations for Owen’s script and George Martin’s score.

1. Sally B says:

Will it be featured in the Charlotte, NC area? I’m dying relive that day it arrived in 1964 at the town theater (now all high end condos) in Livingston, NJ. I was seven years old. . .those young ushers won’t know how to deal with hordes of insane, screaming 50 & 60-somethings – HAH!!

2. Marie Antoinette says:

Well-informed review! Do you have any information on whether or not it will be released on a worldwide stage? Or is it only featuring in theatres in the US?

3. Rajesh Chetry says:

I happy for you

4. ATLANTA DATE??? When & where will A Hard Day’s Night be showing??

5. nneth tornstrom says:

i seen hard days night back in 64 with my sister in NY

6. danny french says:

I,ve been a Beatles fan since 64, I,m 56 years old and still love them,it,s strange but there it is. :)

7. Nino says:

Remember in the movie theater girls were screaming so loud you couldn’t hear the movie.

8. Joseph C. Otoski says:

The Beatles ” A Hard Day’s Night” – a work of art – end of story.

9. Angel E. Reyes says:

Like this news, I saw Sr. Paul when he came to Puerto Rico on April 2010 was fabulous.

10. Lynda Hill says:

This is Fab news. I still love The Beatles. I met them in 1963 when I was 17, Yeah Yeah Yeah.

11. James says:

I must say that The Criterion Collection restorations that I have are excellent quality. The movie was and is still a pleasure to see and experience. I remember well sitting in the little theater in Bryan, Texas back in 1964 watching the movie. My sister nearly damaged my hearing with her screams. It wasn’t until about 1972 when I saw the movie on TV that I understood the dialogue! The humor finally could be heard. The one liner’s are great. I would also say that it simply wouldn’t be the same if it were in color.

12. John Groenseth says:

Yeah, yeah, yeah! Norway, all cinemas! Regards John

• joe anthony says:

well i won’t be happy with the criterion release since it will still be cropped and won’t show the entire picture.and they didn’t fix the audio speed.as all beatle fans know the songs are played slower in the movie tha on the records.i emailed criterion and they said the songs are still going to be slow on the bluray release.

13. Please North-East Pennsylvania Movie Theatres: Get this and I’ll be there!!

14. Thomas says:

I appreciate every effort to keep this incomparable talents and their career alive. Enthusiasm, gratitude and a spirit of youth, innocence and life´s wide open doors is what I feel when I hear the first strum of “a hard days night”.

15. we want “Let it be released” on dvd.

16. Dee says:

Love them Beatles<3

17. Czes says:

Happy white jelous to boys… )))

18. June Brown says:

Queued to see this at the drive-in (Australia the queue had to be a mile long, but it was worth it.

19. bahamadollar says:

I hope it comes to the UK. Would dearly love to see this on the big screen again. My friend Jenny and I saw it at the London Pavilion in 1964, when we were both just 12 years old!! Still friends to this day!

20. Kim says:

where can I find where they are playing it?

21. Steven says:

The beatles in 4k..can’t wait. ..

22. Stanley Telega says:

The 2009 Parlephone cd is the best i’ve heard. Looking forward to the new release. I think it will be big. Where in New York will it be shown.? Criterion?

23. cazzieoncue says:

I still have the original LP record of this!

• don weisz says:

i do also. i saw the movie when i was 8 years old and they had a ticket drawing for a record and i won it ! i was 8 years old had Beatles mania to the max ! so you could see how excited it was for me ! when dad picked me up from the movie i could not shut up about the movie the record and i know he just wanted to throw me and the Beatles right out the window
      . but dad was a great dad !

24. Joe McCubbins says:

I bought a DVD of “A Hard Day’s Night” several years ago when the story said the original was falling apart! I hope the 4K will do the songs in stereo. Ron, I’m on the same page with you regarding the DC5 movie!

25. ron turner says:

Will the Dave Clark Five be next? “Having A Wild Weekend!”

26. IT’S ABOUT BLOODY TIME !

27. Talisha Harrison says:

Reblogged this on Mia Musicología.