‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ Title Revealed

J.J. Abrams shows off X-Wing fighter
Courtesy of Disney

The title of J.J. Abrams’ upcoming “Star Wars: Episode VII” has officially been given a name: “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”

The tweet also announced that the highly anticipated tentpole from Disney and Lucasfilm has completed principal photography.

Abrams is directing the pic that stars John Boyega, Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley with Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher also reprising their roles.

Disney chief Bob Iger has said that “The Force Awakens” will be set 30 years after 1983′s “Return of the Jedi” and will feature new and familiar faces.

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” is set to hit theaters Dec. 18, 2015.

1. lariste says:

In all honesty, Disney is a fairly bland and conservative media conglomerate that haven’t been innovative since their first decades, practically a century ago.

Being part of DisneyCorp means, as far as I can tell, that this film will be glossy, and entirely unnecessary – this film needn’t be made, other than that its creators can cash in on nostalgia and iconography from a film franchise that often felt like a triumph of visual design over story, and a triumph of marketing over cultural capital in the first place.

Star Wars is often shallow, always disposable, and after the three “prequels” entirely irrelevant.

If Lucas and co. wanted to produce or create a new, innovative Sci-fi/Fantasy tale, they could, and should, but this film is just another example of corporate Hollywood euphemistically describing a marketing cycle as ‘an epic’. An epic that you’ll forget about in two months. They’re doing this movie to get taxable income off their books.

Maybe if they really wanted to create authentic Star Wars nostalgia, they should charge tickets at $2.26, which is what they cost in 1977. Watch the dead horse fly . . .

2. Dave E says:

Wake me up when this film has been & gone.

3. Ken says:

I like it – short, punchy, forceful.

4. Duder NME says:

Could it mean that The Force will emerge within a poodoo-ton of people who weren’t meant to have it? The Son of Suns prophecy times a gazillion.

5. Ugh. Another blockbuster movie released AFTER my birthday. All I want to do on my birthday weekend is one of two things: either go to a Seahawks game or see a kick-ass movie. Dear Mr. Abrams, please push the release date ahead one or two weeks. Thank you in advance…

6. Noahcg3 says:

Jeez there is no winning with people! First you want the sequel but then you don’t just because the title sounds “boring” to you!!

• Paul says:

Actually I think you’ll find that the people making these comments don’t want a sequel. They’re the people who hate the prequels & are tired of the movies they loved as a child getting diluted down & ruined. That is what is going on here. This all has an effect on how you watch the original trilogy. I can’t watch Star Wars now without thinking that Darth Vader made C3PO,,,,, ruined.

• Thomas T says:

That’s a good point. I was watching Star Trek the Wrath of Khan the other day & just as Spock was about to peg it, it just popped into my head… In the alternate version it’s Kirk that…… No! Thanks a bundle JJ. You know what. If you can’t come up with your own ideas, at least stop ruining other peoples movies. Have some respect.

7. Gary says:

It’s not just the Star Wars episode 7 title that has been released. It’s all the sequels. First you have

Star Wars Episode 7 – The Force Awakens

Then it’s….

Star Wars Episode 8- The Force goes back to bed for a Snooze

And then finally….

Star Wars Episode 9 – Force! Wake up! You’ve overslept! Your late for School! Oh no! Oh no! I’m late! It’s the big test today! Oh no, this isn’t happening! No no nooooooo!!!!!

I,m sure they may shorten the episode 9 title a bit.

8. James says:

”The Force Awakens”. I like it. It seems straight to the point and unpretentious. We don’t know how the title works with the plot at this point so hold your horses armchair critics.

9. I’m probably more concerned than I should be that it’s just “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and not “Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens.”
    The Force Awakens is just a lame title overall. IDK, maybe it’ll grow on me, but for now I don’t dig it.

10. Dissin' Terry says:

Terrible title. What? Was ‘Star Wars Into Darkness’ already taken? ;p

11. Sixxer says:

Sounds just as as bad as the new Hobbit ‘subtitle’. Hobbit should have been “There and Back Again” instead of the five armies bullcrap. SW 7 should have been something like “Power of the Jedi” or “Power of the Force”. J.J. is seriously going to make this film suck.

12. James G says:

zZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzz….. Oh sorry, I missed that. I was asleep. Oh hang on that wasn’t me…. It was the force that was asleep. Think I prefer the prequels titles. Bet this changes before the film comes out

13. Ben says:

Dull title. Sounds like a game show on TV

14. I was creative director at 20the century fox ad worked on the original,
    last week i was in the gallria Mall in Ft Lauderdale at the Apple store and saw the Star Wars display for a shoe store so I shot some video …it is on my facebook -joey reynolds

may the farce be with you

15. Tracy says:

crap title

16. cxg says:

Implying that The Force sleeps is beyond ridiculous. *sigh… At least we have the first three films.

17. Richard Janus says:

So The Force has been asleep? Not too good as far as the whole “surrounds us/penetrates us/binds the galaxy together” thing goes.

No wonder we’ve felt abandoned and like the galaxy was falling apart. And don’t even get me started on how much I’ve been longing for some really good old fashioned penetration all these years.

18. nerdrage says:

So the Force is sentient now? That should settle a long-running nerd debate…

Or maybe the title means nothing and Abrams just thought it sounded kewl. I just want to know who the heck Oscar Isaac is playing.

19. XAV says:

So it was Unleashed… and only NOW bothered to wake up? Heh.

20. Beejay says:

great news :) happy you shared it