‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ Adds 2 Cast Members

Stars Wars Reveals New Cast Members

In a new update on Sunday, Disney announced that two new actors, Crystal Clarke and Pip Andersen, have been added to the cast, and that Harrison Ford’s injury will cause a brief halt in production next month.

American actress Clarke is currently studying in the U.K. Her first feature, “The Moon and the Sun,” will debut in 2015.

Andersen is a British actor and parkour practitioner who showcased his skills in a 2012 ad for Sony.

It’s unclear which roles the two newcomers will play. In November, Disney did issue a casting call for two characters named Rachel, a “beautiful, smart and athletic” 17- to 18-year-old woman, and Thomas, a “handsome, smart and athletic” 19-to 23-year-old man.

SEE ALSO: Rian Johnson to Write, Direct ‘Episode VIII’

“The Star Wars universe has always been about discovering and nurturing young talent, and in casting ‘Episode VII,’ we wanted to remain absolutely faithful to this tradition. We are delighted that so many traveled to see us at the open casting calls and that we have been able to make Crystal and Pip a part of the film,” said Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy in a statement.

That the two additions are relative unknowns isn’t a surprise based on Disney’s previous casting for the highly anticipated film. One of the leads, Daisy Ridley, has few major credits, the most notable being a guest starring role on PBS show “Mr. Selfridge.”

Clarke and Andersen join the already announced cast of Ridley, Ford, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Carrie Fisher and Max von Sydow.

SEE ALSO: ‘Star Wars” Next Challenge: Making Its Cast Matter

In the announcement on the Star Wars website is an update on Harrison Ford’s injury. He is “doing well” after breaking his leg following a bad ankle injury on set, but production will pause for two weeks in August “while adjustments to the current production schedule are made,” according to the statement.

Principal photography is currently taking place at London’s Pinewood Studios. The J.J. Abrams-directed film wrapped shooting on location in Abu Dhabi in May.

“Star Wars: Episode VII” is still on track for release on Dec. 18, 2015.

1. JDT1971 says:

I am hoping we will eventually get confirmation as to whether or not Katie Jarvis (‘Fish Tank’) has been cast in ‘Star Wars – Episode 7’. She deserves another shot at stardom, which no industry movers and shakers seemed to encourage after her movie debut in 2009.

2. Dave says:

Life changing moments for these young actors, just hope this New era of the franchise is a good one. CAN’T WAIT :)

3. Bitty says:

She is sexy! I’m excited for her appearance!

4. ITTTY IT says:

Everything NEW — – – –is OLD again!

5. stevenmillan says:

The news and rumors about EPISODE 7 keep on getting more interesting every day,for hopefully J.J. Abrams will make sure that this newest episode in the STAR WARS Saga will live up to the legendary first three films(Episodes 4,5,and 6),as well as have an explaination upon why Lando Calrissian(Billy Dee Williams) isn’t a part of the newest (and longly awaited) on-screen adventure of Luke,Han,and Leia(and their offsprings,alongside Threepio,Artoo,and Chewbacca).

6. Scifi Vegas says:

Welcome Crystal & Pip from Scfi Vegas & Neon Galaxy. We Star Wars/F&SF Fans here I. Las Vegas are waiting with baited breath for this long awaited sexual. We, like many of our fellow fans are hopeful that this next trilogy is better suited to Episodes IV-VI.

• Jeff says:

Um….do you mean “long awaited sequel”? I’m pretty such that “long awaited sexual” is NOT part of the Star Wars universe……

7. I wish the new Star Wars cast crew and film well. I loved the first 3 films, the cast and the fantastic music from John Williams. But without the original cast on board for the rest of the films including the under rated Dave Prowse (Whose presence gave a certain gravitas and menace mixed with heart to Darth Vader) I lost interest in the films that followed. What does interest me is that the films have provided the world with a common myth to enjoy together and the George Lucas Educational Foundation is using the Star Wars characters to create unique and useful educational tools for children. For some children it is easier and more fun to learn when C-3PO or R2D2 is at the head of the classroom teaching Math and the Alphabet. I think if Star Wars Slave Girl Princess Leia was at the head of the class room wearing her metal bikini and teaching reading, writing and arithmetic to the inmates in California’s 33 adult prison our society would be much better off. Our education has been going down the sewer for so many years. And I for one am very appreciative of the educational books from the Star Wars family I have bought for my own family. They make learning so much FUN! So I hope Star wars continues to succeed off into the future. With the help of “The Force” maybe the education in our country actually has a fighting chance!

8. Joe says:

My first reaction when I read this was “Max van Sydow is still alive? Awesome!”

9. Bear Hunter says:

I always like to see new talent given a chance.

10. Christine says:

She would make a beautiful Ahsoka Tano.

11. Tiffany says:

yes, because “rachel” and “thomas” are such star wars-y names…

• Jeff says:

In an open casting call, the producers would never give out the actual character names to then be leaked to the press and give away any potential spoilers to the story or script. “Rachel” and “Thomas” are just generic names that were used. Character description is what is more important to the casting call in terms of age, gender, etc. Set your snark level to stun next time and think about it……

• Garrett says:

Luke. Ben. Owen.

• nerdrage says:

Those are stand-in names. So many characters in this cast, a lot of them must be playing redshirt Jedi (get whacked in the first movie), worm head aliens, random bounty hunters, etc.

• Byron says:

You realize that Luke is like the most generic name imaginable right? Not every character needs an exotic name.

12. midoribishi says:

Well, the more news I hear about Star Wars Episode VII makes me feel more stoked to go and see the film. It’s been quite awhile since a Star Films has been in theaters and as much as I am nervous about this film still I have confidence in Disney, JJ Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy. Good cast thus far!

13. giobravo says:

Abu Dhabi: Its far away…

• nerdrage says:

The more I hear about Star Wars, the more I want to see Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie is going to set all new levels of expectation for Star Wars, and frankly I doubt Abrams is going to be able to deliver with a cast of largely unproven unknowns.

He’ll probably get some actors who deliver memorable performances – Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, Lupita N’yongo – but I’m not seeing the kind of deep bench here that’s going to make GotG a superhit.

• Jeff says:

There will never be a time where Guaradians of the Galaxy will ever be considered better than any Star Wars film, past or future….

• John says:

You do realize Lucas did the same thing in the original Star Wars, right? The only “known” talent was Sir Alec Guiness and Peter Cushing

• Rather interesting that you already know GotG is going meet its own expectations. I’m hoping it will and I even suspect it might but I sure as heck don’t know it will. I envy your prescience.