‘Star Wars’ Adds ’12 Years A Slave,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ Actors Lupita Nyong’o, Gwendoline Christie

Lupita Nyongo Gwendoline Christie Star Wars

Lupita Nyong’o, who won the best supporting Oscar for her role in “12 Years a Slave,” and “Game of Thrones'” Gwendoline Christie have joined the cast of J.J. Abrams’ “Star Wars: Episode VII.”

It was not revealed which characters the two will play.

Christie plays Brienne of Tarth in HBO’s “Thrones,” and recently joined Lionsgate’s “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay –- Part 2.”

“I could not be more excited about Lupita and Gwendoline joining the cast of Episode VII,” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement. “It’s thrilling to see this extraordinarily talented ensemble taking shape.”

The “Episode VII” cast also includes John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Max von Sydow, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker.

Abrams is directing from a script that he co-wrote with Lawrence Kasdan.

The film is shooting now and will bow Dec. 18, 2015.

PHOTOS: Meet the ‘Star Wars Episode VII’ Cast

1. fleshpeddler says:

Darth Tarth foresee I do….

2. KMR says:

Eh, I would have preferred actresses that were more unknown than these two. I liked the Daisy Ridley choice because I have no idea who she is and so I can’t judge her until I see the film. I’m already judging these two chicks because I known who they are–and unfortunately for Lupita I already have a negative view of her, so therefore have a negative view of the film going in, and that’s sad. It’s great that they added more female roles, though.

• Xybernauts says:

So basically your saying you want the entire cast to be made up of relative unknowns? I could see that happenng for an indie film, but I really don’t think that’s possible for a project of this size. And I don’t think it’s wise either. In the end they should pick the person who they feel best fits the role they are casting the actor in. It shouldn’t be about how big or little their resume is. Also don’t let personal feelings ruin the movie for you. At least wait for the movie to come out to decide whether you like it or not. Personally, I love Lupita. It was nice to see how nicely everyone warmed up to her in Hollywood. The move into a big blockbuster film will be a great career move for her. I’m happy for her and Christie.

3. Jen says:

Her name is misspelled on the landing page, but correct on the story page. Editors please correct.

Great additions.

4. Xybernauts says:

It’s not about how long the performance is, it’s about the quality of the performance. Look at Anne Hathaway’s Oscar winning performance in Les Miserable. She also had a small role in the musical, yet it garnered her alot of praise. It’s the quality of the performance, not the quantity of performing time that’s important.

I think Lupita and the movie “12 Years a Slave” did deserve to win. Her performance was gripping. It really captured the anguish and torment slaves went through. I think it’s the fact that she took a minor role and made it so profound that’s what makes her the perfect casting choice. I think you underestimate how difficult it is to portray such awkward and demeaning emotions in a way that’s both entertaining, yet captures the hardship African Americans went through. I can only imagine the effort it must take to lose yourself to such a role to capture such emotions. I’m really looking forward to seeing what she does in Star Wars. Lupita, 12 years a Slave, Obama, honestly, it sounds like you may have more of a problem with the color of her skin than you do with her performance and acting ability.

Also, I love Gwendoline Christie. She captures the character of Brienne perfectly in GoT. Really happy to see her onboard.

5. therealeverton says:

Judi Dench & Anne Hathaway are just two examples of Best Supporting wins from, relatively, small screen time. They are not black.

the girl showed talent and whilst there were other contenders, 12 Years won because more people thought it was the best film than thought the others were. Or were Ejiofor and Fassbender also somehow average in that film?

6. nguber says:

Reblogged this on iwatch2much and commented:
    Yesss!!! This Star Wars cast is shaping up quite nicely.

7. Lucas says:

Also believe it.

8. Not on the whole Lupita bandwagon, Christie’s been good as Brienne(whether she can do anything else I don’t know as GOT is the only thing I’ve seen her in).
    I do however hope neither character was written in due to “internet outrage”.

• KMR says:

I’m not on the Lupita bandwagon either. During awards season, it felt like they were shoving her down our throats; as an actress, as a fashion girl. Well I’ve never seen her film so I don’t know about her acting, but I don’t get the hype about her fashion. I don’t like it when I’m told whom to like. I’d like to make my own decisions about whom I like.

• Smooth says:

You two represent only two seats in a theater, I think they will be ok if you two sit this one out.