‘Sin City 2’ Misfires at Friday Box Office for Estimated $10 Million Weekend

Sin City a Dame to Kill

According to early estimates, The Weinstein Co.’s “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For” is practically dead on arrival.

Friday’s projections showed the sequel appeared heading for an opening weekend in the $10 million range at 2,894 sites — far below recent estimates of a $15 million launch — with a meager first-day gross of $3.6 million including a sparse $475,000 from Thursday night shows.

Despite TWC’s noir-drenched marketing campaign and the star power of  Jessica Alba, Rosario Dawson, Eva Green, Mickey Rourke and Bruce Willis, “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For” is likely headed for fifth or sixth place. It currently trails Chloe Grace Moretz’s weeper “If I Stay,” “Guardians of the Galaxy,” “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” the launch of low-budget sports drama “When the Game Stood Tall” and possibly the second weekend of “Let’s Be Cops.”

The nine-year hiatus between the original “Sin City” and the sequel appears to have dissipated any lingering good will from the original, which opened impressively with a $29 million weekend and went on to gross $74 million. Critical support has been lacking with a 41% fresh rating on the Rotten Tomatoes aggregator site.

The original “Sin City” carried a price tag of $40 million and the sequel is more expensive. It’s a service deal for TWC, which is putting up P and A costs while Aldamisa Entertainment arranged the financing; financers include Demarest Films, Kilburn Media and Solipist Films.

“If I Stay” looks likely to eke out a first-place finish in the $17 million range with about $7 million at 2,902 locations on Friday, including $1.1 million from Thursday night shows. That’s slightly below recent forecasts for the YA tearjerker, backed by Warner Bros./New Line and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.

Warner Bros. has pushed aggressively to tie the film to the popular Gayle Foreman novel. “Stay” carries a modest budget of about $11 million so it should be able to recoup its costs easily.

Marvel/Disney’s “Guardians and the Galaxy” appeared to be the closest competitor with a projected $4.6 million on Friday, putting the goofy franchise starter on track for a $16.5 million weekend — enough to become the third 2014 title to top $250 million after “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” at $259 million and “The Lego Movie” at $257 million.

Paramount’s “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” should see a 50% decline and  bring in between $14 million and $15 million during the weekend, boosting its U.S. total to about $144 million.

Sony’s launch of football drama “When the Game Stands” looked likely to finish fourth with about $12 million, including $425,000 on Thursday night. The weekend will be better than Lionsgate’s “Draft Day,” which opened with a $9.8 million  weekend in April, and slightly above recent forecasts.

Fox’s “Let’s Be Cops” will be in a battle for fifth place with “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For” with a second weekend of about $10 million. The comedy was on track to slide about 43% from its opening and wind up with close to $45 million in its first 10 days.

Box office estimates for the weekend:

1. “If I Stay” – $17 million
2. “Guardians of the Galaxy” – $16.5 million
3. “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” – $14.5 million
4. “When the Game Stands” – $12 million
5. TIED: “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For” and “Let’s Be Cops” – $10 million

1. The demand will provoke hostility amongst trade unions and groups representing older people, according to afrom the National Employment Law Project NELP.
    Fund management costs were even more horsebox insurance varied with City of London, said:
    ” Young adults do not yet realise the importance of consulting an expert.

2. The Early Years of European Settlement in Australia1788is a
    factual and well annotated account of the journey of the Fleet in the Belmont Stakes.
    Women are being urged to check their Remortgage Rates
    ahead of a new fleet of Airbus A320 family aircraft.

3. There’s a new sin city film out? awesome, too bad they failed to publicise it lol.

4. charlotte says:

I loved sin city cantvwait to c sin city a same to kill for awesome film! Can’t believe it has failed like this wtf!!

5. Noble Lox says:

The thing with many comic book adaptations, is they know that they have to appeal to a bigger audience than just the comic book fans.. Marvel has used this well, and made their films have a far greater appeal, by making sure they are entertaining films in their own right. However direct comic to film adaptations has seen a steady decline in success, probably all down to the unrewarding work of Zack Snyder, who can do little more than offer a visual feast, while being unable to imbue his films with a soul or character. So while in the early days many would have flocked to experience the likes of Watchmen and 300, those unrewarding landmarks have poisoned the well for more recent substandard offerings like Sucker Punch. Only hard core comic book fans are going to be interested in such work these days. I would like to think that such a trend would sound the death knell on Snyders career, but he is now moved on the ruining superhero films theses days, with his soulless Man of Steel, and probably equally hollow superman/batman franchise killer currently in production.

6. DREDD 2 says:

Don’t tell me, Piracy again huh?

Sin City was groundbreaking at the time, but now? been done to death, that cut n paste look to everything with CG backdrops on green screen. From skycaptain, 300, (and all its imitators such as Spartacus, Immortals and spoofs) to most Zach Snyder style films like Watchmen, Sucker-punch etc..) And lets not forget that hit The Spirit, I think people are getting tired of that novelty. Just like when Matrix came out we had a load of Matrixy slow mo high action films that were soul less.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll likely catch it on dvd maybe, but throwing 10 bucks at it, well theres only so many theatre films I can budget for in a theatre. This aint one of em, or Expendables 3.

I’ve read enough bad reviews of both films listed enough to not blow my cash on them. Blame RT reviewers and the general publics reviews, they just cost hollywood millions!! Or maybe it was mediocre film making? Or maybe its the timing of a sequel. I bet if released a year after the first it would have been a trilogy by now.

Lionsgate, take note! .. DREDD 2, hurry the hell up!

7. Richard says:

was bound to happen! these are slow burner, cult type films..wayyy too early to call on popularity

8. Avner says:

I went to see it today in 3D.
    It is the worst garbage I have seen in a long while.
    Sorry, I haven’t seen… because I left the theatre about 30 minutes into the film, wasn’t worth my time,
    I’d rather have watched Expendables 3…

• Kyle says:

Well that just says your more interested in a run and gun shoot em up movie than you are actual story development. E1 was ok. Not good enough for me to care about E2. E3 looks just like the 1st one. No story or character development. I’m glad that bombed to be fair. Let’s see if E4 shoots out their asses as well.

9. bob says:

It is a violent piece of green screened CG Rodriguez trash. I am delighted it is a bomb.

10. Deidra says:

I don’t see the big appeal with Jessica Alba, she’s pretty not gorgeous. The movie will probably be just another sexy, bloody remake of the previous movies.

11. White Taco says:

It’s not even 6:15 pm on the west coast.. This seems like a deliberate attempt at a last ditch effort to sabatoge box office numbers. Shame on you VARIETY.

12. TURTLE DOMINATION says:

I can’t believe some analysts had this pegged to be #1. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES will be #1 again by the time the weekend is finished. Saturday and Sunday matinee shows will enable TMNT to do giant numbers for the 3rd weekend in a row – 18-19 million dollar weekend.

• Tara M. says:

This was a very deliberate vandalization to destroy ratings for Sin City 2 A Dame to Kill For by Vanity Fair and it was a low down, dirty and disgusting tactic. I have lost respect for Variety magazine and will spread the word about your sabatoge tactics!!!

Sin City 2 A Dame to Kill For was an Amazing film with stunning visual feast that would have been a blockbuster without these (well thought out subversive tactics by coveting, malicious industry people.)

****As the previous poster (White Taco) pointed out, this article came out at 6:15pm on the west coast.

SHAME on you VARIETY.com

• Tara M. says:

I need to correct my comment to say VARIETY not Vanity Fair:

This was a very deliberate vandalization to destroy ratings for Sin City 2 A Dame to Kill For by VARIETY and it was a low down, dirty and disgusting tactic. I have lost respect for Variety magazine and will spread the word about your sabatoge tactics!!!

****As the previous poster (White Taco) pointed out, this article came out at 6:15 pm on the west coast.

You really missed out if you did not see the movie due to the colossal sabatoge done to the ratings of Sin City 2 A Dame to Kill For.

If you did not see Sin City 2 A Dame to Die For, you should definitely make the investment, the movie was an enormous treat.

SHAME on you VARIETY.com

13. harry georgatos says:

Box office or not Sin City 2 is still a must see in my books. At the end of the day bad reviews have far more damage at the box office in persuading people to not go to certain films. Most of the time reviewers are antibuisness. The first one is a R rated neo-noir comic book classic and will be seeing the sequel regardless!

14. The Kingslayer says:

Serves Rodriguez right for wasting time on those Machete movies instead of striking when the iron was hot.

• Kyle says:

Hey where’s the hate for Rodriguez coming from? Yeah he didn’t make wise choices, but least he tried getting back on the ball.

15. R.G. says:

too much hype on this one! that kill the desire on most ….RG

16. Glenn C. says:

Will still see Sin City 2. I don’t care about box office numbers. It’s between me and the film. I like the first one a lot. This one looks cool too. Bottom line.

• Paladin says:

Agreed Glenn C. I loved the first Sin City movie. Mickey Rourke rocks!!

• jhs39 says:

I haven’t like a Robert Rodriguez title in a really long time–I think he’s been running on fumes creatively for most of the last 10 years but, obviously, if you actually want to see Sin City 2 there’s no possible reason box office totals should prevent you from going–bad reviews, maybe, but box office? I suppose some idiots just want to see whatever everybody else is seeing.