‘The Shining’ Prequel to Be Directed by Mark Romanek (EXCLUSIVE)

The Shining

Mark Romanek is in negotiations to helm Warner Bros.’ “Overlook Hotel,” a prequel to the Stanley Kubrick classic “The Shining.”

Former “Walking Dead” showrunner Glen Mazzara recently turned in his draft for the original story, with Mythology’s Brad Fischer, James Vanderbilt and Laeta Kalogridis producing.

Based on Stephen King’s original prologue to “The Shining,” which was cut from the book prior to publication in 1977, the film will tell the origin story of the Overlook Hotel through the eyes of its first owner, Bob T. Watson. A robber baron at the turn of the 20th century, Watson scaled the remote peaks of the Colorado Rockies to build the grandest resort in America, and a place he and his family would also call home

Samir Hussein/Getty Images

Starring Jack Nicholson, the original “Shining” revolved around a writer who takes his family to an isolated hotel for the winter where an evil presence influences him to commit violent acts, while his psychic son sees horrific visions of the past and future.

Though ABC had King’s blessing to make a 1997 miniseries remake starring Steven Weber, studios have been cautious about doing justice to a film that has come to be seen as one of the top horror films of all time.

In 2013, King published a “Shining” sequel “Dr. Sleep,” which Warners is also trying to get off the ground.

Romanek is also attached to direct “Boston Strangler” for the studio starring Casey Affleck and last directed the Fox Searchlight pic “Never Let Me Go.”

He is repped by CAA.

1. JimmyNumbers says:

Stay true to the transcript please!! After Kubrick’s bastardization of the novel, King fans will weep blood if this doesn’t give the novel credit! Maybe take a daring step and even rebuke Kubrick’s film, gently? And at the same time, set the foreground for a sequel, “The Shining”? And even maybe a capper to your trilogy. “Dr, touch another dying patient and I’ll make you take your medicine; every last drop, Torrance”.

2. Dissin' Terry says:

This film is already crap since their messing with the history of the Overlook, as laid out in King’s novels. Kubrick took some liberties with the story, but basing one not remotely attached to the King back story feels unnecessary and disrespectful to fans of both tinge film and books. And hiring the unproven cinema director Romanek makes no sense. Worst idea of the year so far, by far.

3. Kubrick is “my favorite Filmmaker” and the respect for him will never be tarnished by anyone making a new shining related story. It was King’s work originally. So Romanek has just as much right to the material as Kubrick or anyone. You calling Romanek “a second rate hired hand” shows that you have no clue what a brilliant visionary he is. Several times I have seen shock on friends faces as I’ve read to them the LONG list of music videos they have always considered classics but never knew one person was central to all of them. I’ll admit that I was disappointed in “Never Let Me Go.” But so was the vast majority of every audience to every single film Kubrick ever made. None of his films were well received upon release. I will look forward to anything Romanek does because I know sometimes as an audience member I just won’t get “it.” At least not at first. So I guess I’ll be watching that tonight.

What I meant to say was

You are old!

4. Pierre Edelman says:

from Pierre Edelman: Even though Kubrick is not “my favorite Filmmaker” he deserves respect. In the days of Terry Semel & Bob Daly this would have never happened: A Mark Romanek, a hopeless director, a second rate hired hand, brushing shoulders with “The Shining” is proof that the recent Warner Bros. Gov. has no clue of what great film making is about. Sad, when you think this special studio signed Kubrick, Clint Eastwood,Oliver Stone through the great work of Joe Hyams…

• Kubrick is “my favorite Filmmaker” and the respect for him will never be tarnished by anyone making a new shining related story. It was King’s work originally. So Romanek has just as much right to the material as Kubrick or anyone. You calling Romanek “a second rate hired hand” shows that you have no clue what a brilliant visionary he is. Several times I have seen shock on friends faces as I’ve read to them the LONG list of music videos they have always considered classics but never knew one person was central to all of them. I’ll admit that I was disappointed in “Never Let Me Go.” But so was the vast majority of every audience to every single film Kubrick ever made. None of his films were well received upon release. I will look forward to anything Romanek does because I know sometimes as an audience member I just won’t get “it.” At least not at first. So I guess I’ll be watching that tonight.

What I meant to say was

You are old!

5. Hopefully it covers what happened when Delbert Grady was caretaker.

6. Ironic, perhaps, that Stephen King strongly disliked the Kubrick film version of his book, “The Shining.” I wonder what King will have to say publicly about the idea of this prequel being filmed.

7. Matt says:

Love Romanek’s work, very underrated director. Looking forward to his vision.

8. Film it at The Stanley Hotel, where it should have been done in the 1st place!

9. Honest Rob says:

It sounds as if this is an end run around King. Is it King Approved?

10. pauly walnuts says:

Kubrick made a masterpiece, nobody will ever touch that greatness. Why not a prequel to Back to the future and The Godfather while were destroying classics.

• LOL says:

Erm, Variety back in 1979 called Kubrick’s adaptation “idiotic” and “simpering”. They hate everything.

• Steve Boyd says:

@valhallaarwen: Ruined it? “The Shining” is one of the greatest films ever made in my opinion. Kubrick DID read the book and decided to make his own film, not a cinematic representation of King’s work. Both the book and the film were masterpieces in their own right. I’ll never understand why people think that if a film is made from a book, it has to be a rote copy of the book. That seems exceedingly boring and would display a complete lack of imagination, creativity, and vision. The Steven Weber mini-series was idiotic. It tried to follow more closely to King’s version of the story and was an abject failure. “Ruined it.” Good grief.

• valhallaarwen says:

No Kubrick ruined it in my opinion. He should have read the book and followed it. I hate it when directors take a book and kill people they have no business killing them. I think that King will get credit because they said that it is based on the original prologue from the Shining, so I wouldn’t be surprise if he is writing the outline of the film or if he has final say so on the prequel. It could be interesting.

11. LOL says:

Mark Romanek has no idea how to tell a story and is a pretty hopeless film director. Like some of his music videos, though.