Scarlett Johansson Speaks Out on Woody Allen Abuse Controversy: ‘It’s All Guesswork’

Scarlett Johansson Black Widow
Stefania D'Alessandro/WireImage

Scarlett Johansson has spoken for the first time about the Woody Allen sexual abuse allegations since being called out in Dylan Farrow’s open letter last month, and she calls the criticism “irresponsible.”

Johansson was one of several Hollywood figures, along with Cate Blanchett, Alec Baldwin and others, to be addressed by Allen’s estranged daughter in an open letter detailing Farrow’s alleged sexual abuse at the hands of Allen. Johansson has finally spoken out about the controversy in an interview with the Guardian, published Saturday.

“I think it’s irresponsible to take a bunch of actors that will have a Google alert on and to suddenly throw their name into a situation that none of us could possibly knowingly comment on,” Johansson said. “That just feels irresponsible to me.”

Johansson has often been seen as a muse for Allen, appearing in his films “Match Point,” “Scoop” and “Vicky Christina Barcelona.” Upon being asked about the backlash to Allen, the thesp said she didn’t think there was one.

“I’m unaware that there’s been a backlash,” she said. “I think he’ll continue to know what he knows about the situation, and I’m sure the other people involved have their own experience with it. It’s not like this is somebody that’s been prosecuted and found guilty of something, and you can then go, ‘I don’t support this lifestyle or whatever.’ I mean, it’s all guesswork.”

“I don’t know anything about it,” she went on. “It would be ridiculous for me to make any kind of assumption one way or the other. “

The two have been open about their mutual admiration for each other in the past. Allen has called her “sexually overwhelming” and commented on her “acting ability to be not just a passing pinup girl but a genuinely meaningful actress.” Johansson responded by saying she would “sew the hems of his pants if he asked me to.”

Allen was recently nominated for an Academy Award for “Blue Jasmine,” and Blanchett earned one for her starring role in the drama. Johansson can next be seen in “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” which will be in U.S. theaters April 4.

1. Woody Allen says:

These dirty jews got each others backs, someone needs to get rid of these filthy pickled nose jews from our planet.

2. Right says:

She and Kristen Stewart most recently have both shown the world that don’t have a problem working with an accused pedophile, as long as they think they may get an Academy Award nomination for it. These thirsty for fame and celebrity actresses and actors are deplorable. I’m not spending my money on any of their movies.

3. Kix says:

Her “response” make me sick. I respect the man’s talent but then again, he’s a paedophile and he’s acted on it. Why can’t they even open the case again at the very least?

4. JJ says:

Scarlet Johnansen – if she made these comments is callous & cruel. Mia Farrow had a good point, society hides paedophiles. Whether she wants to admit it or not Scarlet contributed to this, it is not her fault she was unaware of the situation, but anyone should think twice about working with a paedophile & support women like Mia & her children. It says it all that he had a relationship with his child/adopted daughter, there is plenty of vileness in that alone.

5. Carol says:

Maybe Scar Jo could ask Woody to baby sit for her?

6. Alexander says:

I think of some of the young women who fall in love with an older man and they are innocant to how the world will look at that man is what they may overlook. I remember being a younger age and falling for an older man and never realizing how other would look at that situation. Love does blind one and I had been with someone else my age and no one said anything. We had been intimate as many young woman have done and nothing has been casted at us or our males partner. Now had the situation had been me as a child that would have made the situation different. As for this situation, I do not believe he did anything to his daughter. Her brother has no reason to lie. She may have to keep to a story that if she changed her mind and said nothing happened then she would never be trusted again.

7. christine says:

He has not given us any reason not to believe her with his strange behavior and into very very young girls barely legal

8. Mark Dreher says:

Dillion, is an adult.
    An adult, made the accusations.
    No guesswork involved.

9. Riley says:

Someone needs to put that man back in court. Too many things were left hanging and not rectified for justice to have taken place.

10. Riley says:

Quote, ‘Allen has called her “sexually overwhelming.”’ A testosterone fueled complement, how novel.

And what in the fcku does that mean, that he can’t hold it back? I’m sick of his play on words.

If the excuse is that he was not found guilty in court, that does not mean he’s not. However, get that man back in court pronto!

11. Julie says:

How very effing newsworthy!!!!

12. She was there... says:

There she was…

Scar Jo could never hurt Woody, that’s anti-Semitic! She loves Israel like Natalie Portman and Late Bar Refaeli בר רפאלי‎ . Who knows the truth?? But you do know Woodson Van Allen is a Jew, and acting mean to Jews is wrong!! Mia Farrow hangs out with upstanding citizens right? Like Roman Polanski?? Yea!!

13. Bobby see says:

Saying she ‘spoke out’ implies that she shared an opinion on the topic. She did not. Nor should she have done so.

14. leilu says:

LIFESTYLE?????? OMG!!!!

15. RipleyWarrick says:

This horrible human owes her career to her casting director mother & her disinterest & quasi – congenital inability in anything other than self promotion. I’ll be boycotting any projects with Scarlett Johansson attached to them. She’s an enabler of pedophilia.

• Jake says:

how do you know? were you there? if you were, are you not as much an enabler—if not more so?

if you weren’t there, as I must assume you weren’t, then you cannot know. thing is, there have been thorough investigations by not only actual police investigators and proper psychologists, but also biographers who look through it all and question every finding. the only constant is inconclusive.

either way, I mourn Dylan… either raped by her father or emotionally damaged by her mother to such a degree that she believes she was.

Scarlett Johansson does not tell Woody Allen it’s okay for him to rape children. she works with him. not in a business that takes advantage of children, but a business of entertainment. how does she enable pedophilia?

• JJ says:

Women & children have little support if & once they reach out like Mia Farrow did/has been her entire life.
        Society protects paedophiles & paedophiles know this. It is that simple.
        Paedophiles blame Mothers/blame other people.
        You should never ever say that a Mother is to blame or that a victim is making something up, that is rule number 1.
        Biographers out to make money – are not trustworthy.
        Without a confession or evidence gained very quickly, the paedophile most often gets away with it.
        Which is why society must not support them.
        I would rather believe Mia Farrow than Woody Allen, it makes the most sense.

• Jake says:

But of course! reading one side of an argument and believing only that every time something bad or scandalous happens—it must be true! That’s real logic, I forgot about that…

Rachel, statistics would be 100% one way or the other if they had any bearing on what happened. They aren’t, and thus they don’t. There’s not enough evidence to have convicted him twenty-odd years ago, and there is only less evidence now, as memory distorts and changes over time. Doctors found no conclusive evidence she had been sexually assaulted. Investigators dropped the case. Here’s another interesting interview with a biographer who researched the material: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/27/the-woody-allen-allegations-not-so-fast.html

I’m not saying Woody Allen is innocent, nor that he’s guilty. One of Dylan Farrow’s parents have severely damaged her, but I have no way of knowing which.

enabler |ɪ’neɪblə, ɛ-| noun. 1. a person or thing that makes something possible. 2. a person who encourages or enables negative or self-destructive behaviour in another.

Scarlet Johansson fits neither definition. End of. If someone was witness to Dylan Farrow being raped, and was thus the only person other than Dylan and Woody to know 100% for sure what happened, and waited until now to call Scarlett Johansson an enabler, rather than affect the investigation that went on all those years ago—they would be an enabler. Hence my distinction.

I’d again like to point out one little thing from that article that I doubt you’ve read: If Mia Farrow is so certain that her ex-husband, whom no one should celebrate because he’s an evil pedophile, raped her daughter—why on earth would she take part in allowing clips of her in one of his films be used in a tribute to Woody Allen? Why would she say “Yeah, go ahead and let me sign here so that you and the rest of the world know that I believe my rapist ex-husband is a great artist. But that anyone acting in his work now is enabling his horrific behaviour—but I’m not because I acted in this before he raped my daughter. So it’s alright if I condone this celebratory reel for his latest award.” (not a direct quote, but sure as hell implied…)

And, to your last paragraph, Scarlett Johansson is quite fetching, but I doubt she’d feel the same about myself. I’m straight, so I’d rather not be indiscreet with Mr. Allen, though I’d love to have a conversation about his work. I honestly don’t know how to fuck myself, and it seems like I’d have to be quite the contortionist to pull it off… But I’ll admit that orgy you’ve described and commanded could be quite revolting…

• Rachel says:

Did you actually read up on these allegations? Or did you just hear the headlines and automatically think, “Gee, I guess I’ll side with the guy accused of pedophilia on this one.” It will take you less than thirty minutes to read about the history of abuse and the evidence against him. And it’s pretty damn conclusive. What kind of sick person are you to say that someone who is critical of an abuser is *just as bad as a person enabling him*? No, really? What kind of backwards logic is that? Think about it for a minute.

But I guess the same kind of person who would view pedophilia to be a sort of character flaw that can be overlooked isn’t too keen on logic. “Oh well, you know Woody. He’s a pedophile and he traumatized Dylan for life, but you know how it is. I’m not going to get *mad* at the guy. I mean, it’s not like I’m sending the message that such behavior can be glazed over. It’s not like this type of thinking enables abusers to do what they do because they know there’ll always be disgusting people who’ll defend them to the end. I mean, how do we even *know*? It’s not like there’s *evidence*. I mean, where’s the videotape? Amirite guise?”

Are you aware of just how few allegations of sexual abuse are false? Of course not. Of course not. The fact of the matter is that you just demonstrated a (not so surprising) casual attitude towards child molestation. This is the same man who preyed on his seventeen year-old stepdaughter, but ok. Your little, “Oh but I feel sorry for Dylan” doesn’t mean anything when you defend the man who victimized her in the same breath.

Fuck Scarlett Johanson. Fuck Woody Allen. Fuck you. You people are revolting.

16. Lea says:

What a dumb, dumb girl.

• Riley says:

Rachel, yes, I read what happened and he IS guilty in my opinion. I have to go back to the sources but for anyone who doesn’t know here are the indisputable facts. http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2014/02/woody-allen-sex-abuse-10-facts. So yes, he was not found guilty in court but….

• DC says:

Are you a judge? Has he been convicted in a court of law? No? Then innocent until proven guilty. Thank you, have a good day.

• DianeC. says:

There is a preponderance of evidence that Woody Allen began molesting Soon yi when she was as young as 15.

During her 15th year, neighbors, Woody’s driver, and his doorman all gave depositions claiming they saw Soon Yi variously going toward and disappearing into Allen’s apartment for hours at a time, and a photo was taken of them holding hands

• eapengson@yahoo.com says:

really?? but did it occur to you–if Soon Yi was 15 as you proposed Mia Farrow would have nailed woody Allen & fried him in court for statutory rape .. the very fact.. Mia couldn’t as much as she would have love to nail him & fry his bum in court should tell you Soon Yi was over the age of consent..

she was 19.

• Julia says:

Rachel you’re an idiot. There’s no conclusive evidence against Woody at all. In fact, even Woody haters admit there’s absolutely no evidence because they use the excuse that the powerful Jew paid off the lawyers, courts, jury, police, etc.

If you want to use Woody’s relationship with Soon Yi against him, then you also have to use Mia’s past crazy behavior against Mia.

• Julie T says:

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL F DOES HIM BEING JEWISH HAVE TO DO WITH THIS? Hate monger. I have a real problem with your statement. Pedophiles are of all religions, creeds, nations, etc. Really anti semitic remark here.

17. MB says:

I cannot help but be cynical seeing that the controversy has quieted considerably now the the Oscars are over and Ronan’s MSNBC show has tanked.

18. fintankearneyflicks says:

More excitingly she can be seen in Jonathan Glazer’ Under The Skin.

19. Steph says:

She is one of the most over rated actresses. I absolutely can not stand her.

20. LOL
    She’s maybe right but who cares…
    Now most people agree she looks awful with her new baby bump: http://opi.cc/bcy9X7F5p883xf1r