‘Mrs. Doubtfire’ Sequel In Doubt After Robin Williams’ Death

Robin Williams death: Mrs. Doubtfire sequel

Actor had several new movies in the works, including the upcoming 'Night at the Museum' sequel

Robin Williams had been attached to star in the “Mrs. Doubtfire 2,” the long-gestating sequel to the late comedian’s 1993 hit. Sources say that though no decision has been made on the future of the project, written by David Berenbaum, it most likely won’t go ahead after the actor was found dead Monday.

Chris Columbus was set to return as director for Fox 2000.  “His performances were unlike anything any of us had ever seen, they came from some spiritual and otherworldly place. He truly was one of the few people who deserved the title of “genius”,” Columbus said in a statement. “We were friends for 21 years. Our children grew up together, he inspired us to spend our lives in San Francisco and I loved him like a brother. The world was a better place with Robin in it. And his beautiful legacy will live on forever.”

Berenbaum had reportedly met with Williams in recent months and was working on a second draft of the script.

Williams’ sudden death casts an obvious shadow of doubt on the potential “Mrs. Doubtfire” sequel, but Hollywood often likes to ‘reboot’ hit movie franchises or proceed with sequels without the original stars. Just ask Batman, “Speed 2” or even Professor Dumbledore from the “Harry Potter” series.

The original “Mrs. Doubtfire,” based on the Anne Fine book, followed Williams’ struggling actor and divorced father who disguises himself as an elderly housekeeper in order to see his kids while his ex-wife has custody. Sally Field and Pierce Brosnan also starred.

Co-starring Sally Fields and Pierce Brosnan, the pic was a smash at the box office, taking in more than $400 million worldwide and Fox has tried to get a sequel into production ever since. Elizabeth Gabler and Marisa Paiva were overseeing for Fox 2000. “Mrs. Doubtfire” has been the most frequently played movie on basic cable and is therefore well-known both to those who saw it when it was released and to the millennials who caught up with it on cable.

Williams had already wrapped on “Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb,” in which he reprises his role as Teddy Roosevelt for the third time. It opens Dec. 19.

He also starred in the Dito Montiel drama “Boulevard,” which screened at this year’s Tribeca Film Festival but has not found a distributor.

Also wrapped but not yet released is “Merry Friggin’ Christmas,” in which he stars with Candice Bergen and Lauren Graham. Phase 4 Films will release the holiday comedy on Nov. 7. Williams also provided the voice of Dennis the Dog in British live-action comedy “Absolutely Anything,” set to be released next year.

1. DDN says:

A sequel could never be the same. As a matter of fact I would not even watch it.
    I loved the first one, it’s no way a sequel could even touch it.
    Robin could be the only one to play that part.

2. Ella says:

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY cancel the sequel for Mrs. Doubtfire it’s my favorite movie and Robin Williams is my favorite actor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. You wicked, wicked monkey……

4. GradeAFreak says:

A sequel wouldn’t be the same with another actor. He was the one and only Mrs Doubtfire and it would be wrong to replace him :(

5. Dereck Feemster you better not be calling me stupid.

6. Dereck Feemster says:

WHY CANCEL MRS DOUBT FIRE 2 MAKE IT A TRIBUTE TO ROBIN LIKE MICHAEL JACKSON HAS TRIBUTES DONT BE STUPID AND CANCEL A MOVIE

7. Bonnie Ellis says:

Robin Williams was Mrs. Doubtfire and no one could fill those shoes.

8. John P says:

On behalf of Robin’s spirit and the wishes of the many who loved him ,I beseech the financiers/ executive producers to resist the temptation of trying to fashion a “Trail of the Pink Panther ” out of whatever exists of the project.

9. Now that Robin WIlliams has passed away “Mrs.Doubtfire 2” SHOULD NOT be made at all now. Without Robin WIlliams “Mrs.Doubtfire 2” would be absolutely NOTHING. If they go on to make this sequel anyway I WILL NOT SEE IT !!!

10. AP says:

This is nothing like when Dumbledore was replaced in Harry Potter. He died less than halfway through a major book series – what were they going to do? Stop making it? Mrs. Doubtfire was made by Robin Williams and will go to the grave with him.

11. William says:

Mrs. Doubtfire has left us. Thank you for my favorite movie Robin.

12. Mrs. Featherbottom says:

If they insist on following through, the only person who can do it is David Cross who proved his chops at the role on Arrested.

13. Mickey says:

Well, if you’re looking for the silver lining there it is. I can’t imagine what kind of an atrocious piece of garbage that movie would have been. Why does Hollywood insist on beating a good idea to death? Just let it stand on its own merits.

They are fresh out of ideas.

14. Connie Germini says:

Please Please release his movies–his fans want to see him again. Don’t take him away from us again.

15. Joice Sprowl says:

May God be with his. I am so so sorry I will keep you in my thoughts & preyed.stay strong for God is with you.

16. Joice Sprowl says:

You will be missed.we loved your shows. Rest in peace.god be with you. :-(

17. occultology says:

Any sequel to “Mrs. Doubtfire” without Robin Williams starring in it should be called “Mrs. Dousefire”.

18. If Mrs. Doubtfire 2 couldn’t get made with Williams, but gets made without him, it will be a travesty.

19. I am a millennial and I saw it in the theater with my mom and great-grandma. It was an early and wonderful memory. Us millenials did experience some cinematic classics in the flesh and not just via re-runs. In fact, Robin Williams was an actor who personified much of my youth/adolescence: Mrs. Doubtfire, Aladdin, Jumanji, and Good Will Hunting.

• AC Budda says:

Awesome comment. I’m right there with you. I was looking forward to another hotdog impression. I hope they don’t go forward with the movie seems almost sacrilegious

20. There is an impressionist on Vine who likes, acts and even sounds like Robin Williams in his younger days. I’m more than sure they could pick him up and it’d work!

21. Cinda says:

How sad….I can’t stop crying. What a loss. I guess we all can get depressed at times, but I don’t think I could ever get that depressed where I would end it all. He was only 63, and here I just celebrated my 61st birthday. Life is so precious and fragile. All of the comments I see from his “so-called” friends now that he’s dead. I wonder if any of them kept in touch with him? Did they call? Write or visit him? Why did it take so long for them to do a sequel to “Mrs. Doubtfire”? The original was done in 1993; here it is 21 years later!!! Unbelievable. I guess Mr. Williams was depressed because they had cancelled his T.V. situation comedy show, “Crazy Ones”.. That show marked his return to prime time television since his introduction back on the Mork and Mindy series. That show was funny as hell! I used to watch it all the time. Rest in peace, Mr. Williams. My prayers and condolences go out to your family. People, please keep in touch with your loved ones, friends and relatives and let them know you’re thinking of them and love them very much.. That one phone call, letter, card or e-mail could make all the difference in the world to someone who is feeling down and needs a hug. Take them out to lunch, dinner or a cup of coffee. Spend time with them. Listen to them. Show you care. Peace be with you.

22. Glenn C. says:

Great talent. Depression kills. No matter how funny you are. Will be missed greatly.

23. Stephen says:

Too soon, for real.

24. I still can`t believe it… In tears… wow… R.I.P. True Legend! Can`t find a words to describe how sad I am right now… and Imagine how devastated his family right now… really sad

25. Francis plum says:

I hope they will make aa sequel – edit in a tribute to him – the movie was good – certaainly original .

• Sunshine says:

Too bad it took his death to stop this garabage of a movie. Williams was best within the confines of a character role but painfully bizarre as a comedian.

• Mark Rimmell says:

‘Sunshine’ is certainly woefully cast…A more bleak and dark comment one would be hardpushed to find..RIP Mr Williams ..You will be sadly missed by those that not only miss you as a friend but those like myself who ‘knew’ you through your performance on screen…

• Smooth. says:

Change your handle to “Rain” or “Darkness”.