Watch: Robin Williams in ‘A Merry Friggin’ Christmas’ Clip

Everyone’s favorite onscreen dad, Robin Williams, played a father and grandfather in “A Merry Friggin’ Christmas,” the last movie he filmed before his death.

A new clip from the holiday comedy shows his character Mitch giving his grandson unconventional advice about what to leave for Santa Claus in lieu of milk and cookies.

“I know something that Santa loves a lot more than milk and cookies,” he says before revealing a bottle of bourbon and a plate of asparagus. This scene may be difficult to watch considering the fact that the actor struggled with alcoholism early on in his career.

“Robin’s sobriety was intact,” his wife Susan Schneider said in a statement on Thursday. “He was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson’s Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.”

In the film, Williams plays Joel McHale’s estranged father who’s trying to make up for lost time during a blizzard road trip.

In addition to this comedy, Williams completed three other yet unreleased films: “Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb,” “Boulevard” and “Absolutely Anything.”

“A Merry Friggin’ Christmas,” which also stars Lauren Graham and Candice Bergen, opens in theaters and video on demand on November 7.

1. Hey rocky-o you’re entitled – it’s just that these people were unusual. They were troubled, they were gifted enough to be household words. Therefore the honors they received were not over done, the honors were an attempt to love and respect their pain. It might be you have never experienced that pain – I hope you never do.

2. rocky-o says:

i find it always amazing how much we ‘prop’ up people once they are gone…”everyone’s favorite on-screen dad”…?…where did this come from…robin’s last several movies were basically straight to home video jobs that very few people even know about, dare to say they actually saw them…the same thing happened with both michael jackson and whitney houston…there last few albums bit the dust…(so much so that, in jackson’s case, he had to give up his holdings of the beatles music rights…)…and yet, when he passed, it was like he was the greatest thing since sliced bread…where were all these fans before any of these artists passed…(and i do realize that there are some who stuck by no matter what…)…and i too liked robin and michael alot…even whitney to some degree…but let’s not get carried away…the loss is sad…granted…and any life is a missed one, especially when they bring a special gift and presence to our lives…and speaking of which…where are all the accolaides for lauren bacall, who also passed this week…

3. Sarah says:

I am SO leaving Santa Bourbon and asparagas this year! :D

4. Sharon says:

The world will be less funny without you! You will be greatly missed!
    I pray that you have found peace.
    God bless your family, until you are together again.

5. So many of our greatest comedians are Robin
    Williams’ age, that little devil on my shoulder
    is wondering if he did this just to upstage
    his friends. There is no pill for loneliness, how
    else do we keep away the darkness, but
    laughter? I fear, in one brief, bitter moment,
    he simply forgot to laugh.

From his first tv show to his last, and all the
    standup and movies in between, Robin Williams’
    entire career was an opus on the little absurdities
    of life. How every man, great and small, is constantly
    beset by the assessors, the collectors, the bureaucrats,
    the politicians, the lawyers and all the toll takers on
    the highway of life. What weapon do we have
    against them, but laughter?

Oh, how he did rage against the dying of the light.

Thank you, and nanu nanu.

6. The loss is unbearable.

7. Diane White says:

Robin Williams is one of my all time favorites as an actor and person.There’s a lot of his films I have missed but am going to make it a point of mine to see.You will be missed.

8. Alex says:

I’m glad his last film is a comedy and not something dark.

9. melida bodemann says:

He will always be a hero to me I am dealing with anxiety and depression at this time also trying to deal with breast cancer I still cannot accept that I lost to my breast but I have been fighting fir the past ten years he will always be in my heart my he rest in peace love Robin Williams

10. Barbara Youssef says:

after hearing that Robbins wife confirmed his sobriety was intact, i finally really cried for his death.i am not judging him, he was a strong insparation in my own sobriety. Im relieved to hear he was able to make it all the way to the end sober.i miss him.. he will always be my hero.

11. Angel of Laughter and Hope

When the world was in pain, the pain was masked with your laughter and hope.

When we were losing the battle of war the strength of our armies grew stronger with your laughter and hope.

When our soldiers came home wounded from war and life seemed hopeless, we gain it back with your laughter and hope.

You made the audience [The World] laugh so hard it brought us all to a level of a comedy high that we forgot for that slight moment our own demons with your laughter and hope.

You circled the globe entertaining troops and families and our children and took away our pain and grief through prescription drugs prescribed by an Angel of laughter and hope through what you called comedy.

We the people are not going to forget how your movies, television and stand up kept our world laughing and your sensitivity and compassion really went ahead and helped us with your laughter and hope.

We the People of the World owe you a debt of gratitude, You cared a lot about us and you my Angel of Laughter and Hope, you will always be a part of our family [The World] and will be sorely missed.

Poem by Antonio Saillant

12. He did at least two movies after this one.

13. It will be no more difficult to watch (the bourbon for Santa scene) than it is to watch Neil Patrick Harris play straight. Come on. It’s a scene in a movie, played by an actor whose professional life was devoted to making us laugh, and think, and care about other human beings, and for whom, I will always have inestimable respect. I will laugh, and be glad he had the opportunity to make these last films.

14. Fre says:

I miss him already.
    Such a talent and genuine good person.