Police: Robin Williams’ Death Due to Hanging

Robin Williams dead; suicide due to
Wire Image/ Jeffrey Ufberg

Comedian Robin Williams died of hanging on Monday morning, said Marin County sheriffs.

Lieutenant Keith Boyd made the announcement at a Tuesday press conference at the Marin County Sheriff’s Office in San Rafael, Calif.

Boyd said that Williams, 63, was suspended with a belt around his neck. He was clothed and rigor mortis had set in. Police said the actor was found by his assistant in a seated position in his home in Tiburon, just north of San Francisco.

There were also superficial wounds found on one of his wrists, said Boyd, indicating that Williams may have tried to slash his wrist before the hanging. A pocket knife was also found nearby the scene.

An investigation is ongoing into his death, which was due to asphyxia. His publicist noted that the actor had been struggling with depression as of late, and recently entered a 12-step rehab for drug abuse.

Williams was last seen alive by his wife on Sunday night.

The investigation is ongoing. A toxicology report will be conducted but will take two to six weeks to be completed.

1. Kinfar says:

Et tu Brute?

2. DALE says:

As my wife put it IF ROBIN WILLIAMS THE FUNNIEST MAN ALIVE COULD NOT LAUGH HIS WAY OUT OF DEPRESSION WHAT CHANCE DOES THE AVERAGE PERSON SUFFERING HAVE .GOOD BYE TO A GREAT ACTOR COMEDIAN AND HUMANBEING

3. natasha says:

Goodbye to a great comedian you will be missed.

4. I also have been dealin with depression my entire life and I know that there are times in life when it seems like everything that is bad in life happens all at one time. To have a substance abuse problem on top of that makes it even harder but what people dont realize is when your doing drugs your not supposed to be doing that is the only time you seem to feel normal or sane, like you can live a normal life for once. That is a problem for most because they feel you are a bad person for doing drugs and they dont think thats why people do the drugs they always assume its only to get high and to be a problem to everyone else. I know that it may seem like its a bad thing to do and most of us want to be just a normal part of scociety but its other people that put us down for doing tose drugs that make you feel normal and that makes you feel like a bad person too, this i believe is where the expression “Your damned if you do and your damned if you dont” comes into effect, we dont want to do that stuff to feel human but we also want to feel human and dont without it and that tends to make us even more depressed. I think that if people could learn to accept people for what they are in their hearts and not what is in their pockets people might do better. Granted there are people who abuse drugs and their friends, those are people who need more help with 12 steps. I dont think that a person like Robin Williams needed a technical and cold solution to his issues, he needed something softer more personal and warm a careing and heartfelt something that matched him. I may not have known him personally but i do believe him to be a warm and sweet man that i wish i could have met him. I would have been a a good friend to him.

5. debbiejones says:

Sometimes too much information is exactly that! Other than the sherrif’s office, medical staff, and his family (if they wanted to know the specifics) we should not have been provided with ALL these details. Robin Williams is an actor and shared that with us. However, he is also a man, husband, father, & son. Anyone elses autopsy, police report, etc is not advertised, and in such graphic detail. Can you please edit this article to not include everything. The fact that it is a suicide by hanging is all the public should know. To his family and close friends- I am sorry from the bottom of my heart that too much information was shared to the public!

6. Zeny Bj says:

I am deeply saddened. He did not get the help he needed soon enough.

7. Rob says:

Could have been engaging in AEA, lost some control, tried to cut the knot and failed.
    I’m just not ready- with the details so far released- to ascribe this to intentional suicide.

8. Dan Dapper says:

Hanged. He hanged himself. Drapes are hung. People are hanged.

9. jarrodcarman says:

Wouldn’t it be hanged himself, not hung?

10. Brian says:

This is not a hanging..false report. Belt around the neck in a seated position. If he was hanging, he would be from the ceiling and feet off the ground. VARIETY, please use correct terminology.

11. Stephanie Saunders Ahlberg says:

I think your reply was unkind. Unless you knew him personally you don’t know what he struggled with. More than one celebrity has suffered from “demons” and huge pressure (not related necessarily to finances). Clearly Robin struggled for some time and lost the battle. You never know what someone is going through until you walk a mile in their shoes. Again, I extend my heartfelt sympathy to his family and close friends.

12. Lp says:

It said he was found suspended but in a seated position. Before we know it there will be reports that he was found upside down behind the fridge. Why can’t people just report what they see?

13. Lori Wright says:

I was wondering the same thing myself.

14. S. A. Hoback says:

When one suffers from depression sometimes it’s hard to articulate why one feels depressed. It grabs hold of your most inter being & suffocates it to the point of no return. If you’ve never been depressed then you won’t have a clue as to what I’m talking about. GOD bless Robin Williams family and Robin…RIP!! You were loved by many & made us laugh & cry….. Thank you, Sandy

15. Robin will be missed and still loved. Keep them laughing up there Robin.

16. leedman says:

So sad to lose you, Robin. I wrote about depression Sunday night, barely got a response. Now you’re gone and people care. I hope they don’t forget, Robin. http://onemancan.ca/a-letter-about-depression/

17. don snyder says:

I have one thing to say rest in peace great man you were among the best that ever entertained me thanks.

18. Carrie says:

My heartfelt wishes to Mr Williams wife and family. I know the pain of losing a significant other and will keep them in my prayers. I know their pain is worse than anything Robin’s many fans are experiencing. Mental illness is not pretty and is extremely difficult for not only the person suffering but for the family as well. I know this because I have two brothers who suffer, one with bipolar disorder and one that committed suicide due to paranoid schizophrenia. His wife is blessed that she was not the one who found him. I was home with my brother when he set himself on fire to stop the voices. God Bless his family and to Robin, Rest in peace.

19. j.hanvey@my.tca.edu says:

Are you high?

20. 4realz@msn.com says:

I think the wife is full of crap. You sleep in a separate room and leave without checking on him but he is your best friend?

• DorothyParkerlite says:

Having separate rooms is not unheard of. In fact, it may be the only reason several marriages still stay intact. Your comment is extremely disrespectful but I can only assume that you are too young or too oblivious to understand what a real relationship entails. So keep the negativity out of this and have respect for his family. A legend has passed. We won’t be seeing talent like his for a long, long time.

• I agree. How does she not say Good Morning to him, or at least peek in on him in the morning either?

• ChrisM says:

Nonsense. My partner is absolutely the love of my life and my best friend and, in order for both of us to get a good nights rest, we have been sleeping in separate bedrooms for years. Believe me, I know couples who sleep in the same bed every night and don’t treat each other with respect or love when the sun shines. Who you love has nothing to do with where you sleep.

• cadavra says:

There are many reasons why people sleep in separate rooms. One partner may snore unbearably, or toss and turn, or even has trouble sleeping unless (s)he is alone. Maybe one prefers the window open, the other closed. One prefers the room warm, the other cool. One prefers to stay up late watching TV or reading, the other wants to go to sleep right away. There’s a lot more to marriage than just sex.

• katie says:

I can’t sleep unless I’m not alone in my bedroom, and I have to have my door closed. I think it’s strange that couples sleep in one bed. We’re all used to sleeping alone for about 18-25(?) years, I wouldn’t like to change it. So I understand it completely.

21. Stephanie Saunders Ahlberg says:

I went to high school and college with Robin. I performed in many plays with him. What a nice man but I can’t imagine the pressure that fame brings. My heart goes put to his family.

• Sunshine says:

The pressure that fame brings? Like not worrying about paying rent, buying food, keeping the lights on, car repairs, car payments, etc? Give us a break. Williams has been odd for a long time and better in movie rolls where he was emotionally contained. Perhaps too many people saying yes and coddling the “big star” and nobody saying what needed to be said sounds more reasonable. Tragic and sad either way.

• Smooth. says:

Jealous much? No one is stopping you from doing more with your life than spewing negativity on internet blogs.

• Eric says:

Biology doesn’t discriminate against the rich. Mental illness can affect anyone. He was sick. And it killed him. I’ll never understand why people feel the need to be contrarian and provocative instead of kind in situations like this. God bless, Sunshine. I hope you’re able to stay as strong as you think a rich man should be.

• frozensun11 says:

Depression doesn’t care how coddled you are, it may have made him feel more undeserving, more internal guilt. If you have never been depressed then you wouldn’t understand.

• Tim says:

Just shut the f*ck up, Sunshine. If you think money buys happiness you clearly have never had either one.

• Mary says:

It is sad and traggic when anyone dies, famous or otherwise. We only know what the media let us see. We do not know what or how someone behaves when the camera is off and there is no script. To judge the wife for where she sleeps? To judge him for not having to worry about money, so he doesn’t have rhe right to have problems? We can’t make an informed decision with only having a small portion of the facts and information. We tend to think we know a celebrity based on the roles they play. I am sad that we lost a great entertainer and pray for his grieving family and those close to him in reality.