Nicolas Cage’s ‘Left Behind’ Set for Oct. 3 Release (EXCLUSIVE)

Nicolas Cage Left Behind

Religious drama “Left Behind,” starring Nicolas Cage, has been set for an Oct. 3 release in the U.S. via Stoney Lake Entertainment.

The film, centered on the well-known Biblical-themed books by Jerry B. Jenkins and Tim LaHaye, will come into the market at a time when faith-based movies are proliferating.

“We’re seeing a number of big, biblical movies on the calendar this year, particularly ‘Son of God,’ ‘Noah’ and ‘Exodus,'” said “Left Behind” producer Paul Lalonde, chairman of Stoney Lake. “What makes ‘Left Behind’ different is that it is a contemporary story that could actually happen at any moment. It’s also a historical account in a sense, because it’s based on a true story, it just hasn’t happened yet. So it’s very important to us that the core story not be changed.”

“Left Behind,” which carries Cage a $16 million budget, was shot in Louisiana last summer in six weeks with Vic Armstrong directing from a script by Lalonde and John Patus. Chad Michael Murray, Cassi Thomson, Nicky Whelan, Lea Thompson and Jordin Sparks also star.

Cage admits that the film is unlike anything he’s done before.

“My greatest hope for the film ‘Left Behind’ is that it works as something that people will be entertained and thrilled by, but they’ll also go home and they’ll have conversations with their family and they’ll ask ‘do you think this could happen or couldn’t happen’ and it’ll inspire discussions and closeness.”

Cage added of the role, “I wanted to do it because it was so challenging and unusual to me.”

Lalonde, who produced with Michael Walker, said “Left Behind” has an $18 million P and A commitment.

Story is set on a commercial airliner just hours after the Rapture when millions of people around the globe simply vanish. Cage’s character is faced with a damaged plane, terrified passengers, and a desperate desire to get back to his family. Thomson (“Big Love”) portrays his daughter, forced to navigate a world of madness as she searches for her lost mother and brother.

The “Left Behind” books have been published in 32 different languages and sold more than 65 million copies. Lalonde said Arclight Entertainment has sold most key international markets, where the movie will be released around the same time.

Entertainment One has acquired the domestic home video rights.

The original “Left Behind: The Movie” starred Kirk Cameron and took in $4.2 million in 2000. Two sequels — “Left Behind 2: Tribulation Force” and “Left Behind: World at War” — were released on DVD.

Lalonde, who also produced that trilogy, said that the new film covers a far shorter time span than the original — perhaps the first five minutes. A second film will be greenlit prior to the Oct. 3 opening with Thomon, Murray and Whelan signed, according to Lalonde.

Christian drama “God’s Not Dead,” opening in fewer than 800 theaters, has grossed $13 million in its first week of release from Freestyle. The movie, produced by Pure Flix Entertainment and Red Entertainment, overperformed expectations.

Earlier this month, the Mark Burnett-produced “Son of God” opened to $26 million at the box office and has topped $56 million for Fox. Russell Crowe’s Biblical tale “Noah” is expected to top the box office with as much as $40 million this weekend.

Other faith-based titles coming include “Heaven Is For Real,” “Exodus,” “Last Days in the Desert” and “Mary.”

1. Lou says:

Google “The ‘Left Behind’ Rupture” (on Joe Ortiz’s “End Times Passover” blog). Full refund if not completely exhilarated, elated, enlivened, inspirited, and even irradiated! Another Google item that LaHaye will hate and Jenkins try to jinx is titled “Left Behind or Led Astray?” (You Tube).

2. Steven price says:

I have been searching for my mothers favourite Captain Corelli’s Mandolin,it reminds her of travels around R the Ionian she. Between Corfu,Zante & Cefelonia.Visited there mysel we all love it…….but tradgerdyy slipped and has been paraplegic of all limbs…..pray tell how to it s.r.price,11 lawrence hill ave,Newport NP19 9bx U.K

3. R Castle says:

I remember the 1st time I heard that all the apocalyptic 7 years of tribulation and sending the earth to hell in a hand basket might not be true. BLASPHEMY! I thought, I can’t hear any more from this heretic! Has he not read the dozens of books I have on why the current President (name one) from (insert country here) is the anti-Christ!?! Well, that was 2007. Having done some thoughtful and prayerful study over the last 7 years and allowing myself to think (!) I’ve come to realize I was flat out wasting my time and the end of the world as we know it is much more glorious, positive and representing of a loving God than my evangelical upbringing had led me to believe.

If you still believe all the doom and gloom, 666, and fire and brimstone stuff – that’s fine, I will not debate you on a website. However, if you are able to step outside your box and look and some other view points, please do. You just might find it, exhilarating, refreshing, and a positive influence on the perception of your future. Be free. That’s my story. How free do you want to be? And yes, I do read the Bible, I am a Christian and believe in the return of Christ. I just have found that a theology that empowers a defeated enemy and was made up in the late 1800’s is full of holes once I started digging for truth. May your discoveries be as freeing to you. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/zhoag/2014/04/01/ed-cyzewski-can-we-cancel-the-rapture-already/

4. Hey guys! follow this link to see the page for LEFT BEHIND!!! You will get EXCLUSIVE access to all the news and cool posters! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Left-Behind-The-Remake/167293859986165

5. It is only getting better! What a message this will send and what a great actor to bring it on!!

6. Evelyn says:

Can’t wait to see it!

7. patrick r says:

So Let me get this right. It is a reboot of the first left behind? Some things might be different but essentially that is what it is? I’ll wait for the DVD thank you very much.

• Patrick, we need support at the theater level to make these types of movies profitable to “Hollywood”.other wise they will stop making them. Hey think, Nicolas Cage!!

• Matt says:

Seems like you’re forcing other opinions on someone. As for that, Nicolas cage isn’t ALL THAT BIG. I wouldn’t see the movie just cause he’s in it. He wouldn’t be the reason. He acts the same way in about every movie he’s been in. His facial expression never changes.

8. Nina says:

Excited!! I can’t wait!! This year is for Jesus, Hollywood just doesn’t know it yet :-)

9. winona says:

can’t wait to see it, hope it is as good or better than the original

10. Claretta Brooks says:

I am so excited!!! I can barely wait!!! Nicolas Cage and Chad Michael Murray!!!! Two of my favorites!!!

11. Steve Stone says:

I can’t wait for October 3!!!

12. Stephanie says:

It’s about time! We’ve been waiting for this for an eternity!

Also, there are other Christian movies coming out, like Christiano’s “A Matter of Faith” and “God’s Not Dead.” BTW, God’s Not Dead did surprisingly well in theaters when it came out just recently. The Left Behind remake is sure to draw a huge crowd–so plan early if you want to see it in a theater.

13. Anthony Gillette says:

AMEN!

14. Anthony Gillette says:

This movie is going to be super awesome! God’s word being seen and heard all over the world will be what we need when we need it. A grwat soul harvest is coming just before His return!

15. Tammy says:

As much as I’d like to see the movie, and am excited; I pray the rapture happens before this movie is released! lol

16. Carol Heisler says:

Can’t wait to see Left Behind the Movie! Most important message for our times! Thanks!!!

17. Since movies first came out…there have been movies about God…about the events from the Bible. Those well-made films…the ones that combine good acting/script/production with…a good faithfulness to the Bible have usually drawn in both the curious…and the believers.

This LEFT BEHIND film is a bit unusual as it seeks to interpret and dramatize a future event mentioned in the Bible, the beginning of the End…and of the new Beginning. It’s a film of…the Apocalyptic Film Genre!!!

While Christians might interpret the details of Jesus’ second coming somewhat differently. (not all got all the details of Jesus’ predicted first coming prophecies right) …they agree that He will return. (See the Apostles’ creed for one…).

Nicholas Cage is a quality actor…an edgy late 20th to 21st century guy. I only saw the clip where his grown daughter discovers Cage’s character removes his wedding ring when flying out of town. Hoping for a good combination of personal and societal drama!

The “Left Behind” books were quite good…the “Left Behind movies were pretty good, (tho now appear too bland and dated…except for the last book which was made before 2008 but (coincidentally) features a Black President (Lou Gosset) struggling in a ruined White House to figure out…what just hit the World???

18. I am soooo looking forward to this movie. I got saved while reading the “Left Behind” books. Prior to that, I had no Christian background whatsoever. I am so thankful that I first got introduced to the God of the universe through this powerful story based on real future events and I just as thankful that I will not be here to experience the horrible time the movie and books cover.

• except for the last Left behind movie (not book) starring Lou Gosset as a black US president (made before Pres. O got elected). Called Left Behind: World at War…Still very good…

19. Mr Not Religious says:

…said “Left Behind” producer Paul Lalonde, chairman of Stoney Lake. “What makes ‘Left Behind’ different is that it is a contemporary story that could actually happen at any moment. Its gonna happen?What an Idiot!

20. Mary Ann says:

Hallelujah !!! Finally!!! I have been waiting too long . My fav book series of all time is now bringing book one to film. I may just move in to the theatre for a week!❤️❤️

21. Brandi Kelley says:

Amen! It’s about time Christians started standing up! Hopefully thismmovie will be a gatewsy to show them Christ and be saved! I love it!

22. Rachael Brown says:

I am so excited to see Left Behind come to life by this great cast!!!

23. Craig Edelmann says:

I have been waiting with bated breath for this LEFT BEHIND to come out. Having Nick Cage staring in it will take it to a whole new level for sure. Nick’s talent will add a component to this expected event that Iam sure will make it more reflective of peoples actual reactions in such a situation. The rest of the cast as well are so talented that this movie could be the BLOCKBUSTER of the year ! This movie is not just a movie that I want to see, its a movie that I believe I just HAVE to see .

24. Zef says:

This movie – I definitely want to see.

25. Maryanne bishop-brown says:

Look forward to continuing this saga with Nicholas Cage

26. Shannon McKillop says:

I saw the first movie with Kirk Cameron and was very disappointed … it did not follow the books very well. I hope the integrity of the story is not lost in Hollyweird. i have read the series out loud to people and it was a roller coaster that kept you on the edge of your seat till the end and the Glorious Appearing. Although brutal and full of death the outcome is a joyous one. I pray that this movie tells the whole story and leaves the viewer with hope and understanding.

27. Randall says:

Looking very forward to seeing this movie. Too bad more Christian movies are not made.

28. Linda says:

Read all the books. So excited for this movie. It is going to be awesome!

29. Can’t wait to see this production and if it comes close to the books. Bring it on!

30. Tamie T. says:

I Have waited so long for this :)

31. Jessi Smithson says:

I’m very exited & can’t wait to see it! I loved the books & couldn’t put them down!

32. J. Master says:

It would suck for you all if the Rapture occurred on October 2nd…

• johntshea says:

That might not reduce the potential audience very much. But maybe they can buy insurance against it. From non-Fundamentalists, of course, so there’s somebody Left Behind to actually pay out…

33. L. Brooks says:

“It’s also a historical account in a sense, because it’s BASED ON A TRUE story, it JUST HASN’T HAPPENED YET.”

What??

• Brian says:

I know right! I found that hilarious!

• SJC says:

2 Peter 3:3 “First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers, (mockers) will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ He promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.”

8. But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9. the Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

34. judy says:

I have never been so excited over a movie in my entire life. I loved the books.

35. Donna Holland says:

The movie Noah is not faith based or Biblical correct nor is the movie Exodus from what I understand. So I would not expect the same box office sales as “God’s not dead”. Christians will not go if it’s not biblically correct! I know I’m not going!!!

• Brian says:

God’s Not Dead trailer alone I found to be one of the most offensive things I have ever seen. The portrayal of non-Christians was disgusting. And an atheist (like myself) would never proclaim God is dead. How can something that does not exist be dead? We are also not angry at God for the same reason. No atheists became atheists because of something happening prior in life, we became atheists because we examined the evidence and came to the conclusion there was no God. That film perpetuates dangerous stereotypes not just about atheists but also Muslims and other non-Christians. The amount of money it has made makes me want to vomit.

• SJC says:

There’s no such thing as an atheist it seems the closer you get to the light of the truth the harder you work (fight) to move away from it… You’ve not lived long enough to make such a ridiculous proclamation to yourself much less to the world at large …. Why don’t you just admit to being an agnostic? after all, where were you in the beginning?, you can’t even add 0.1 mm to your height or cause your hair to grow… The laws of God are absolute for instance H20 + S02 = H2S04 Sulphuric acid one of the most potent acids you can’t change that neither can I…………

36. Lorie Wassell says:

Yeah! Can’t wait to see it!

37. Brian says:

LOL “it could happen at any moment”

38. Christie says:

I can’t wait for this movie!! Thank you Paul and everyone else who have worked on this movie. I will be praying for Left Behind to really get people thinking about eternity.

39. PLEASE bring it to Lakeland Florida …CineMark. Can’t wait to take my fellowship group to see this movie. We are all excited about it !!!!!

40. Wendi says:

The movie Noah is NOT a faith based movie. God’s Not Dead was awesome! I look forward to Heaven Is For Real and Left Behind. I own the original trilogy.

41. connie says:

I have been reading about this movie on facebook & been waiting for the date when it would be released in theaters. October is a long ways away but I feel if I waited this long, I can wait little longer.

42. kate says:

Can’t wait to see it in UK

43. Jacqui Buck says:

I’m So Looking Forward To Seeing These Movies!

44. Patricia Maki says:

I am very excited for this! Ever since I found out that they were redoing the movie, I have been in anticipation of it’s release. I was hoping it would come out sooner, but that’s okay, we can wait!

45. Chris Seibel says:

Out of all of these Christian movies…Noah and possibly Mary are not true depictions of the Bible.

• SJC says:

That’s why you’ve got the Bible for your guideline… Hollywood is about making sensationalism……
      In the Son of God, the resurrection of Lazarus, the Bible says Jesus called with a loud voice one time, “Lazarus come forth…” nothing was said about going into the tomb and blowing on his body as depicted in the movie.

46. k2images says:

Great – I’ve got the date on my calendar!

47. Debbie says:

I am happy to see more Christian films being produced on the big screen. Are there any plans to do all of the Left Behind Series?

48. luckykelly says:

Actually, in Stephen King’s Langolier’s a plane full of people disappers, except for a chosen few who are left behind to try and solve the mystery of their fates in a strange and wasted land that was once Earth. Hmm. Sounds familliar.

49. Dave says:

The rapture and the events predicted in the Left Behind books and films are fabrications of a particular brand of religion. I’m religious as well, but the outlandish scenarios that we have conjured out of thin air and poor bible scholarship are never going to happen. Jesus may return, but he’s not summoning me to heaven in the middle of a poop on the airplane.

• SJC says:

Dave, Jesus never asked you to be religious……. matter of fact he spent a lot of time getting on the cases of those that claimed to be religious but still falling short……. religious implies piety and close attention to following a bunch of rules…. Relationship dude, relationship that’s what it’s all about.

• Sharon Roze says:

Can hardly wait! I am so glad someone is finally making quality-produced films that are actually relevant to life! I am grateful for people like Kirk Cameron and others who began doing the best they could with low budgets & proving the market for these films exist. Maybe even Nick Cage will figure out that there is more to life than material success.So

• Dick Delson says:

I did the publicity for the first Left Behind film with Kirk. It went out on DVD and grossed $100 million. When they tried to put it in theaters which I told them was a mistake, it bombed. I also learned that the only media interested in the film was religious media.

50. Sorry you feel that way but NOT everyone is a religious fanatic. (Especially Jesus) If your up for the challenge, check it out. See how Jesus spoke to the Religious people in his day. He never wanted that! He wanted – Relationship! SVTILK!