New ‘John Carter’ Movie Planned as Rights Revert to Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc.

John Carter

Disney may not have scored with an adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ “John Carter of Mars,” but the author’s estate still hopes his book series can become a film franchise.

The movie, TV and merchandise rights to “John Carter” have reverted back to Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc., it announced this week, saying it will seek a new studio to continue the sci-fi adventure.

“’John Carter of Mars’ was the creative stimulus behind such movie classics as ‘Superman,’ ‘Star Wars’ and ‘Avatar,’” said James Sullos, president of Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc. “Edgar Rice Burroughs was the master of adventure and his literary works continue to enjoy a worldwide following. We will be seeking a new partner to help develop new adventures on film as chronicled in the 11 Mars novels Burroughs wrote. This adventure never stops.”

It stopped at Disney, however, when “John Carter,” produced for $250 million, flopped at the box office in 2012, earning just $284 million worldwide ($73 million domestically), forcing the company to write off $200 million in losses. Andrew Stanton (“Finding Nemo,” “Wall-E”) directed the film.

Based in Tarzana, Calif., Burroughs Inc. has a number of films based on the author in the works, including a new Tarzan movie at Warner Bros. that is lensing now.

1. Mac MacArthur says:

I enjoyed the movie and would love to see a sequel. I thought the Disney version was very well done. I find the Disney version being replayed on TV all the time. I don’t think the different stations would replay the movie if it wasn’t being viewed. Take a chance with the sequel. I think you might find that it will be well received by the SciFi community. I for one would go to see it if it is as good or better than the Disney movie.

2. Cynthia says:

I would like to see more Mars M9vies. Just was put out at wrong time. Please make more. Love the stories of John Carter.

3. J. Kevin Michel says:

I was surprised and dissappointed that this movie did so poorly. I enjoyed it and thought it was a good intro to the worls of Barsoom. I hope you are able to make more quality movies with the Burtoughs Mars stories.

4. Theresa says:

I’ve watched this movie, beginning to end, six times…each time I catch things things that make this movie so unique. Special effects to awesome acting makes this movie one of my flicks. I look forward to sequels!!

5. Vidmantas says:

Watched the movie 4 times now and I will watch it again when it comes back on the TV. This is a great movie and I hope another” john Carter” movie will be release soon.

6. Jerry says:

I’m really late to the party. Never read the book or knew what the the movie was about. I saw bits and pieces when it came out but never the whole movie. Finally just saw it-loved it then read the book. I’ve now seen the movie about 7 times and it was great- a real work of art. I do hope for the sequel-with the same cast. The writer was a hundred years ahead of his time..!!

7. Jon Price says:

I have an idea for a sequel to John Carter. ERB Inc, may I start writing?

8. nimrod shanny says:

the movie is awesome!!! i really hope they make a second 1

9. Jim Simon says:

If Pirates of the Caribbean can have half a dozen sequels, this awesome movie certainly deserves that many Poor advertising by Disney…….

10. Ama Dorm says:

Believe it or not, I only recently discovered this movie… 4 years late… due to bad press… sigh… I was surprised how good the movie actually is. Thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Please make sequels, and don’t you dare to replace any of the cast! Love Taylor and Lynn’s chemistry.

11. Dina Kim says:

It’s still one of my favorite movies. The populace didn’t know what the title John Carter meant. If people had known what a wonderful sci-fi adventure it was, then it would have done gangbusters in the theaters. Most people aren’t educated in the John Carter series. Now that it’s been on TV for some years, people have discovered how fantastic it is I think it will do beautifully at the theaters.

• drivernjax says:

I’m a big, and I mean BIG, fan of ERB in general and John Carter in particular. I went to see the movie and was sorely disappointed. Anyone who’s read any of the books knows that Disney screwed up with their rendition of the storyline. That’s at least a part of the problem with Disney’s version of the movie. I hope whoever ERB, Inc. finds to redo the movie franchise doesn’t decide to add unnecessary sub-plots that aren’t even implied, like Disney did.

12. omar says:

I love this movie please make part 2!!!

13. This is better than star wars… I have watch it 5 times… why have they never made a sequel how the hell did this flop … Disney screwed this one some how I HOPE THEY MAKE A NEW ONE

14. Anita Cher says:

It’s a pity the critics didn’t like the movie but I liked it and couldn’t figure out what was wrong with it. It’s just a story and I do hope that a sequel will be made. Keeping fingers crossed! I just watched it again for the 3rd time I think and I still like it!

15. Floyd Rock says:

Love the positive reaction in so many comments here.

Also, really enjoyed John Carter. It was one of the better adventure movies of recent memory and largely killed by marketing and bad publicity rather than dislike from audience, who seemed to actually take to it rather well once they actually saw it.

Would love to see a new one and would especially like Andrew Stanton return to direct.

• drivernjax says:

I’m a BIG fan of ERB in general and John Carter in particular. I’ve read each of the books no less than 10 times. Disney’s big mistake, in my opinion, was their decision that ERB didn’t really know what he wanted to say in “A Princess of Mars”, the basis of the John Carter movie and they added a subplot that isn’t even hinted at in the books. (Of course, I understand that Disney studios has a bad habit of this.) I hope that the new film follows the book(s) a lot closer.

16. Tee Rump says:

I personally liked the movie yet was disappointed in how Disney marketed the movie. ERB was the 1st and all other came AFTER him….

Looking forward to the John Carter of Mars story to be done RIGHT this time.

17. It was awesome and i want more

18. JoyceT says:

This is a great movie. Hope a second one will be produced.

19. Robert Melvin says:

John Carter of Mars is a great movie and I think it’s better than Star Wars VII. I only knew of the JC movie through a friend when it came out. I suspect Disney abandoned JC and didn’t advertise the movie because there wasn’t adequate profit from merchandise or future amusement park rides. I’m happy that Burrough’s estate has taken back its property. So I ask you, was this movie a flop or was this an assassination by Disney? I hope the estate can find financing to make the next squeal to JC.

20. David Cole says:

John Carter is one of my favorite movies – we’ll directed, great cast, and a story with a heart. Why it’s taken so long to make a sequel is beyond me – hopefully the Burroughs estate can pull the right folks together and get this done.

21. Richard Edwards says:

I loved the movie. But never saw previews for it in TV. And that is wy a lot of people didn’t watch it. Because I watch movies all the time and it came out in 2012 And I didn’t watch it till 2014 couldent be leave I mist it when it came out. BUT YOU NEED TO MAKE #2 ASAP

22. Mathew hicks says:

I was a huge fan of john carter and love for more movies to be made. And be able to use alot of the same cast. Please make this happen.

23. Dawn Huber says:

I don’t know why this film flopped at the box office it could of only been down to someone not representing it properly because the film was excellent and as good as any out there even now in 2015…….we need more films with John Carter in them……..sort it out Mr Burroughs please….and soon…;)

24. Brenton Rawhoof says:

I sooooo hope they come out with another! I absolutely loved the first one! This is not an exaggeration when I say its one of my all time favorite movies. It seems like the first didn’t get promoted enough before the release. I’ve had conversations with people and mention the movie and they had no idea what it was. After I got them to watch it they loved it too.

25. yogesh says:

Fantastic movie, I had the books cant wait for
    the sequel no idea why it flopped???

26. lenora says:

Is there going to be another film? ? We loved it. Ty

27. don myers says:

Read all the books loved every one couldn’t put them down. Really hope they make a movie of all of them.

28. Adele says:

Fantastic movie, I had the books cant wait for the sequel no idea why it flopped??? no accounting for taste!

29. Joseph says:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with this movie. I am not a fan of the author of this series but I am a fan of movies. This movie was a privilege to watch. I normally watch a movie once and then maybe I’ll watch it again about 5 or more years later. I watched this movie probably 5 times within two years. I can’t say exactly why it failed but I will say that I would drive by the movie theater and I remember seeing the sign saying “John Carter” and I had no idea what the movie was about. It wasn’t until much later that I discovered this movie and I am definitely glad that I did. I did not read the series so I cannot comment on the accuracy of the film but I will say that it was a great movie. I loved the work of the cast and would love to see a sequel. Whichever studio finally resumes this series will be considered a genius after the box office numbers come in and will probably receive life-long fans. There are very few movies that can get an emotional response from me but this was one of them. I (like many others) am sincerely looking forward to the sequel and will definitely go see it opening weekend.

30. juan anguiano says:

The reazon why the movie john carter was a flop is becuase no one knew what john carter was about. When people hear Walt Disney they think of kids movies. That is why so many adult did not go see it. Becuase i was the same way until i saw it on cable. It is a very good movie. I just think it would sale better by another movie company. Becuase alot adults would like to see more.

31. drivernjax says:

Thank God, Edgar Rice Burroughs’s estate has the rights to John Carter again. Maybe they’ll find someone who understands that silly subplots not even implied in the story need to be discarded. ERB’s writing style lent itself to script writing that all one has to do is simply write the script directly from the books and ignore the tendency in Hollywood to put subplots. The books have all the subplots necessary (little to none.).

32. Luke Wallace says:

Edgar Rice Burroughs was so far ahead of his time! So many novels, John Carter Of Mars was a great tribute. The only critique I would have is to put more emphasis on the love between Dejah and John. I have never seen a Tarzan movie to do the books justice, maybe one day I hold out hope. Johnny Weismueller was about the best but still so much missing. Go Team Burroughs!!!

• drivernjax says:

While I can’t argue your choice of Johnny Weissmueller as Tarzan in the physical sense (Tarzan was always described in the books as being extremely muscular), I didn’t like him as Tarzan. He played Tarzan as a half-witted brute and ERB’s Tarzan was an extremely intelligent man who taught himself how to read and write. He also spoke no less than 10 languages fluently, if you include the languages of the animals that he grew up with. That in mind, I believe that, where intelligence was concerned, Ron Ely was the best.

33. Austin says:

Please endeavor to set profitable John carter of mars because it’s going to bring all the lost and extraordinary profits

34. Abqtim says:

I really enjoyed this film too and was sad it was panned and killed. Son and I are flabbergasted that Disney killed it. We would see sequel with original cast in a heartbeat☺!!

35. Vicente Palumbo D. says:

YES… YES… YES…!!!
    “John Carter” is one of my favorites!… One of the best si-fi/adventure films ever made!!!
    I hope Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc. go for a complete trilogy, based on the original books.
    Ah!… One more thing: The cast of the first movie did it GREAT!

36. Jon says:

If the people who wrote the script would have followed the book rather than go their own way with John Carter I believe it could have been turning into a Harry Potter Fast and furious. Star Wars kind of franchise… just follow the books I can guarantee you it would pay off if you just follow the books…..

• shadowman1433 says:

Exactly. They changed the classic story and added some garbage about blue light and shape changing beings. Obviously they did not have a clue about how good the original stories were.

37. I loved it, one of the films I can ReWatch and be somewhat happy doing it over and over compared to many other films of today. You Lost maybe because of the Recession, people Need to understand a Theater Ticket cost about Twice the Minimum wage in America. People Do Not flock to Cinemas as they used to, and also that is because of Flops like they say this was, waist money on a movie night that no one talks about, thats why it did bad, maybe a good movie Flop because adverts were just too low. When a Commercial is Made that doesn’t give away the story but reals people in… that’s also going extinct is seems. A Sequel to this movie, will be like Firefly to Serenity. What I mean: Firefly premiered in the U.S. on the Fox network on September 20, 2002. By mid-December, Firefly had averaged 4.7 million viewers per episode and was 98th in Nielsen ratings.[3] It was canceled after eleven of the fourteen produced episodes were aired. Despite the relatively short life span of the series, it received strong sales when it was released on DVD and has large fan support campaigns. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29

38. sarfraz says:

the movie was awsome but u have u make jhon carter 2

39. I would like to is john cater 2 will it de made yes or no and when will it start producoum start it has de three years since thelast one your terry try and pull fingeur out please

40. kevin says:

I have seen the movie several times. It’s an excellent movie. It’s sad that Disney and the Media trashed the movie. The movie wasn’t filled with sex and profanity….so that’s probably why it was trashed. I’m 100% positive if a sequal was made with the same cast…different production company it will be a hit.

41. kenchun24 says:

I don’t care what critics panned it, or if the evil Disney overlords didn’t make bank from ONE i.p. of the several they own now…I love John Carter and think Stanton did a great job!

Saw it in the cinema spring of 2012 and peep my JCM blu ray often. Kitsch was fine to me, the voice acting of Dafoe, Morton, Hayden Church was good, Woola is awesome, and the smart/ beautiful/tough and fiesty Lynn Collins should be a household name by now from her wonderful performance as The Princess Of Mars herself, “Deja”. I hope she gets consideration for the same role as she did it so well.

42. darmyman says:

Glad to see they are looking for new studio. Loved the movie but Disney marketed it entirely wrong.

43. Crustbucket says:

If you liked the movie then you should read the book. The book is 100 times better then the movie.
    In fact after you read the book you will recognize the movie for the absolute abomination that it is.

A proper franchise will require a complete total reboot with a director who will respect the source mat’l
    for the greatness that it is and do a far better job of casting. (Taylor was horrible).

44. NDOLLAZ says:

YESS YESS YESSS I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT EVER SINCE THE FIRST ONE CAME OUT! I CAN’T WAIT OMG!

45. Butch Morris says:

I just saw this movie on television. I actually liked it. It’s not any goofier than any of the Star Wars movies. This movie was not bad at all.

46. Woodyandjack says:

Personally, I really liked the movie. I just didn’t get the “flop” part at all. I guess the reviewers scared everyone away? Usually word-of-mouth overcomes reviewers’ misreads.

47. don says:

Great movie!!! only reason it flopped was because it debuted the same weekend as The Avengers. A week before or a week after this movie would made more!

48. Alan Pullem says:

I bet 10 times as many people have seen the John Carter movie on cable and satellite. I have probably seen it 10+ times. Any person I have talked to about the movie loved it. The reason it flopped was due to horrible marketing. What about using just ‘John Carter’ as the name would make anyone want to go see it? All they had to do was add ‘of Mars by Edgar Rice Borroughs’ to it and people would have gone to see it in droves! Use the same cast and make this sequel! Walt Disney would have.

49. Alan Pullem says:

This movie was a flop because it was marketed poorly. It was actually one of the best movies I’ve seen in a number of years. It would be a shame to not, at the very least, do a follow up sequel. Every person I’ve talked to about this movie has loved it. Please give the sequel a chance.

• Grace says:

Alan, I couldn’t agree more. Now that it’s come to cable, people now realize how good the movie actually was. I didn’t go to the theater to see it, because the sole TV ad I saw was so unappealing, that I wasn’t interested in it. Advertising it as “John Carter of Mars, based on a story by Edgar Rice Burroughs”, would have made all the difference. It was the most indifference marketing campaign I had ever seen – like they didn’t care about the movie and made no effort to market it properly.

50. “It seems Didney doesn’t like low returns… even if it’s in the black.”

Didney has been infected by Milton Friedman thinking that profits must always increase or even with a small profit, it is seen as failure.