Neil Patrick Harris to Host the Oscars (EXCLUSIVE)

Neil Patrick Harris will host this year’s Oscars on Feb. 22, Variety has learned.

Harris has performed on the Academy Awards show, but this will be his first time as host. Harris hosted the Tony Awards last year and Emmy in 2013 and 2009, so with Oscar, he is apparently going for the EGOT sweep of hosts. (All that remains is Grammy.) He is appearing in Fox’s B.O. hit “Gone Girl.” He has won five Emmys and this year took home a Tony for the lead role in the musical “Hedwig and the Angry Inch.”

Craig Zadan and Neil Meron will be handling their third consecutive Oscar producing stint (Variety, April 21), working in conjunction with Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences and ABC honchos.

The 87th Oscar show will air live on ABC TV.

Oscar hosting is considered a primo gig, but it isn’t easy. The host needs to maintain the show’s energy, both for the audience inside the Dolby Theatre and for the millions of TV viewers. There is always a guessing game on hosts, but there are a limited number of individuals who have shown their talent in such a role. Ellen DeGeneres was successful at the March 2 rites, but apparently was reluctant even then to do it, and didn’t want to do it for the 2015 ceremony.

The March 2 ceremonies attracted the biggest Oscar viewership in 14 years, according to the Academy. It drew an average audience of 45.4 million total viewers, delivering a 13.7 rating among adults 18–49 (Live+7).

Upcoming projects for Zadan and Meron include executive producing the television musical “Peter Pan Live!” a December telecast that’s a follow-up to their successful “The Sound of Music Live.” Their MTV comedy series, “Happyland,” recently premiered. For the bigscreen, Zadan and Meron are producing “Pippin” for the Weinstein Co., a musical based on the Beach Boys song catalog for Fox 2000 Pictures, and “Monster High” based on the Mattel franchise for Universal Pictures.

Harris took to social media to spread the news, crossing “Host the Oscars” off of his bucket list.

1. Toni says:

I won’t be watching this year…..I like Neil but……….where are the people of color?…..see you in 2016…..maybe.

2. G. Michael Stewart says:

Neil is the man.. He always does a hell of a job entertaining at the Oscars! Looking forward to seeing him again this year.. Go to Mr. Harris.

3. Horrible choice…taping for sure..to skip him

4. Sally says:

Meh. I guess I would be more enthused had they picked someone who didn’t host over 4 major award shows. I wasn’t impressed with how he hosted the Emmys. He’s just too over-exposed at this point.

5. Ginetta Harris-gariazzo says:

Love the choice, makes it fun to watch, I enjoy his talented voice, his great personality and fantastic sense of humor.

6. Suzanne says:

No no no! I want Ellen back. If NPH hosts the show alone I will not watch it.

7. Jean says:

NPH is the perfect choice to host the Oscars. I can’t wait for 2015’s! Those of you who oppose Neil apparently did not see him host The Tonys or The Emmys-you missed some amazing performances by Neil. I have had the pleasure of seeing Neil on Broadway twice: ten years apart. He is one of THE BEST all-around entertainers. Do I sense homophobia in some if you naysayers???? Watch some of Neil’s opening numbers, on youtube, during the awards shows he hosted and if you appreciate ANY kind of entertainment you just may change your mind – maybe.

• Mitchell T says:

Worst pick ever. He will be worst than the Chris Rock disaster… and twice as bad as Ellen. Definitely skipping this year, not in the mood for show tunes. But I bet money that at some point for “entertainment” he is dressed as a woman for “laughs.” Guaranteed.

8. Ken says:

Well, at least he’s not James Franco.

9. Bill Willianson says:

Great news.

10. I see the 1800 century crowd is here. So sad for you. Burning any witches lately?

11. Excellent! I think Patrick Harris is a wonderful choice. I have enjoyed his work for many years.

12. mike says:

Ewwww. For the first time in 40 years. I won’t be watching.

13. Selena says:

Stopped going to movies about two years ago. My hubby (one year!) and I go to dinner, then stream a movie we want to see on tv at home. No movie is worth $30 a couple, and we’re no longer going to put any more money in the “stars” pockets. I hope more people do the same. More money in our pockets, we just bought our first home!

14. kramerj1113 says:

have not had anything to do with the movies since the great old days of the 1960’s. don’t really care about the trash Hollywood puts out. the Oscars, an event for the lost morals gang, in my humble opinion. however, good luck Neil, give it your best, I’ll not be watching.

15. Exanguinated Turnip says:

NPH is a great patron of the arts, but IMHO a low-wattage choice to host. Weak casting in Gone Girl. Academy seems to payoff agents more than get the best host. Kevin Spacey would have been my choice because he’s back in town, but not in anything. Star power and sex appeal. Not available?

16. Ben says:

Wonder if he will do em with no pants on!!!

17. Pat Boyle says:

I know who this guy is. I saw him in Starship Troopers. Has he been in something else?

18. Diana says:

With the high ticket costs and the increase in prices for everyday items there is no extra money to see movies anymore.

19. Diana says:

We do not think that we will be watching the movie Gone Girl. We think that this is a way to get publicity for the movie. Also we still think that last years nominated song that was rejected should have been allowed to compete for the Oscar.

20. John Morrisey says:

Very Good! Congratulations Neil. He is a very talented and witty man. I look forward to the show, it should be a enjoyable one.

21. Alex says:

Excellent pick! I’m sick of Ellen pluging products and pizza places she likes…or gets something for plugging them

22. brutefashion says:

I haven’t watched the Oscars in years. These people act like they cured cancer…or ebola. They can act, so what?

23. Darius the Great says:

Well that just ruins the Oscars for me. I sit out this year

24. Outstanding choice!! Neil is charming, hilarious, sooo talented, handsome….no brainer!

25. Pete Dosado says:

Well, this is one Oscars that I will gladly miss!

26. Ralph Gizzip says:

Crap actors handing out crap awards to other crap actors for making crap movies.

File this under “Won’t See TV”

27. Robert Currie says:

Thank goodness I can watch the Awards again after skipping the 2014 show. Ellen DeGeneres is one of the most overrated and disingenuous celebs out there. The selfie stunt was obnoxious and mainly a marketing tool for Samsung, which made so much money from the publicity, they donated $3 million to the 2 charities of Ellen’s choice. One of the two was the “Humane Society” of the United States, which so far has had a great year….for Triumph the Insult Comment Dog to poop on.

So far in 2014, HSUS paid $13.75 million to settle RICO charges, which led Charity Navigator to strip them of their rating and place HSUS on the “Donor Advisory list. HSUS was also exposed for funneling $26 million in donor money to Cayman Islands hedge funds. Just as bad, HSUS’s long-time direct mail mill, Quadriga Art paid a $25 million settlement to the NY Attorney General for fleecing veterans. Ellen has known about HSUS’s many scandals for years and continued to promote the lobbying behemoth. Worse, she urged her animal loving audience to give their hard-earned money to HSUS. Shameful.

DeGeneres has also had a lousy 2014, with revelations about her tumultuous relationship with her wife exposed for all to see. A less than flattering biography is supposed to come out before year’s end. Great to hear she is being replaced by Neil Patrick Harris, an authentic person and gifted performer who will certainly do a better job as host.

28. percy says:

I am so thrilled about this!!!!!

29. Jack says:

Ugh! Doogie Howser hosting the Oscars. Could they find someone better? I like NPH. He is a funny guy and seems liek a down to earth genuine guy, but not as a host of the Oscars. Not sure which is worse. Them asking NPH or him. accepting. Bad move NPH

30. Ruth H. says:

Acts in comedy and drama on TV and film, stars on Broadway, published author, singer, magician, winsome host – this is one extraordinarily talented guy. I think he’ll do as good a job as anyone can on the Oscars.

31. Thomas says:

So apparently, FreeRepublic posted this story and that is why there are a few dozen asinine comments all within a 20-minute span. Don’t worry, decent people. These guys are all senior citizens and are raging against the dying of the light.

32. Jim Carrey ??? :( He needs to shut his anti-American mouth and get his liberal azz back to Canada, but if he did so, he wouldn’t make a dime.
    He has been overrated and over exposed. Yawn !

33. xsnake says:

Bring back Billy Crystal.

34. JustSayin says:

I predict an all-time low for ratings. I’ll do my part by not, again, watching.

35. lou says:

no thanks…enough “funny” happy people to put up with…

36. Iatemine says:

Neil Patrick Harris…can you say “over-exposed?”

37. ClarkKent says:

Wow…this is just fantastic news. While the world around us is dying from Ebola or attacks by crazed Islamic Terrorists its good to know the Show goes on.

• A Movie Fan says:

Uhhh, the Academy Awards have been doled out since the LATE 1920s…they have weathered the Depression, WWII, Viet Nam, the 60s assassinations, Watergate, AIDS, 9/11 and everything in-between and after. Like it or not, they are an American cultural institution…and, like it or not, they always provide a goofy, glitzy respite from all the real-time crap that goes on in the world. Where’s your sense of fun?

• mike says:

Yeah, let’s all just hide cowering in our safe rooms. Moron.

38. hitman says:

ZZZZZZZ!!!!

39. Victoria says:

Ugh, no, for god’s sake, no. Jim Carrey would have been so much better.

40. Matt Vitale says:

NPH has five emmys, not four.

41. grandmal006 says:

I don’t watch it. Because I’m not in the 18-49 age group. Plus it has become so boring!

42. mncjgaines says:

Nice, a bit of class for a change.

43. John T. says:

One more reason not to watch the Oscars. Hollywood is so out of touch with reality.

44. Kent says:

The Oscars and msnbc have a common interest, nobody watches them!PERIOD!

45. MykeFoo says:

225 countries? That’s impressive, considering there are… you know… only 196 of them.

46. paper or plastic says:

NPH has the same nice guy persona as the kid who bags my groceries.Very vanilla. Very bland.